Confirmed Trade: [VAN/SJ] Jannik Hansen (20% retained) for Nikolay Goldobin & conditional 4th rounder

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013
so the oilers should trade puljujarvi for shane doan because 1 team is looking to prepare for the playoffs while the other is out of the race and retooling for the future?

I dont know if it qualifies for a strawman, but you definitely over simplified the context.

thanks for your time i guess

Lol, Hansen is not Doan and goldobin is not puljujarvi

No reason to get all pissy

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Jannik Hansen at 2 million, this year and next, is an absolute steal for a) a prospect that was out of favor with the coaching staff and b) a 4th round pick that becomes a 1st if we do something that we've never done in team history.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The difference between the Oilers and the Sharks is that the Oilers window is finally opening while the Sharks may actually be finally closing after this year with Thornton and Marleau getting older and their contracts expiring.

Lol, Hansen is not Doan and goldobin is not puljujarvi
No reason to get all pissy

the bolded is your interpretation

window or no window, this is jannik hansen we're talking about. it is very questionable to trade a 21 year old forward that is close to ppg in the ahl despite not much pro experience, for a guy that is definitely not a game breaker (i.e. of marginal help for the POs)

seems like a desperate move

and doan is...not much better than hansen right now

not to mention that regardless of all of this, your initial response was undoubtedly an oversimplified, 'strawman'-like description of what happened: why did you even bother? :dunno:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

window or no window, this is jannik hansen we're talking about. it is very questionable to trade a 21 year old forward that is close to ppg in the ahl despite not much pro experience, for a guy that is definitely not a game breaker (i.e. of marginal help for the POs)

not to mention that regardless of all of this, your initial response was undoubtedly an oversimplified, 'strawman'-like description of what happened: why did you even bother? :dunno:

You traded what was a late 1st which usually amounts to a good middle sixer if your lucky, and years down the road, for a player who is in his prime and already a good middle sixer, I don't understand what's hard to comprehend about this.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You traded what was a late 1st which usually amounts to a good middle sixer if your lucky, and years down the road, for a player who is in his prime and already a good middle sixer, I don't understand what's hard to comprehend about this.

I don't get it either. Hansen has good value with a year (on very friendly terms) on his deal, and had a market. Wilson didn't just give up what he did because he felt like being nice.

Doan, Iginla, Parenteau, Stafford or any other 'comparable' aren't as good as Hansen is right now, nor do they have his value.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Happier with the trade given 20% is retained. I'm happy for Goldy because he will actually get a chance in Vancouver.

This makes the Sharks better this season, but it's sacrificing a good player in the future.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
For the past few years, having Hansen in the lineup has been as impactful as having an extra 1st-line scoring forward.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Happier with the trade given 20% is retained. I'm happy for Goldy because he will actually get a chance in Vancouver.

This makes the Sharks better this season, but it's sacrificing a good player in the future.

Presumably, but they're getting a sure-thing right now that will help them immediately. The guy is very versatile and will fit just about anywhere. He'll be good with the Joes, as his speed, board work and puck retrieval will help maintain possession.

This beats the hell out of giving away Bonino for guys like Huskins and Moen. At least this makes the team better.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Hah! even the Swedes are trying to compare this trade to the Forsberg trade:

Anders Friberg‏ @tuttefriberg19 2h2 hours ago
More
@UffeBodin du får de nästan att låta som Ottawa gjorde en horribel trade är de Martin Erat klass på den?

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Funny how majority of Sharks fans are happy with the deal, Canucks fans are happy with the deal. But everyone else seems to have an opinion more suiting to the deal? Coincidence?
Funny how a guy who consistently scores a 2L rate, playing 3L mins with no PP and all PK time would be a little more valued around the league. I guess everyone has decided the Pre-McDavid Oiler take on defence is the only way to play hockey. What's that old adage? "Defence wins nothing? Gotta score for championships" yeah that sounds right.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
I am confused by the reactions. Goldobin is near PPG at 21yo in the AHL, was a 1st rd pick with 94 in 67 in the OHL in his draft year, and is not that small (5"11, 185pds).

How is it worth giving him up PLUS a 4th for Hansen? Isn't Hansen just a decent/good middle 6 guy? Isn't he around or over 30 yo? I don't get this.

You don't get why a contending team would sell future to add depth to their roster for a cup run? Its not a hard concept. 30 Years old doesn't mean he is in a walker.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Happy with this trade :). I don't know much about Goldobin but i'll read through his prospect profile. As for Sharks fans I'm rooting for you in the P.O ;).

Hansen won't put up a huge amount of points but he will have a ripple effect in your guys lineup. Slot him in anywhere and he'll bring energy and a spark to the line, he is one of the best Pkers in the Nucks' lineup. Good on you SJ and good luck in the playoffs.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I think that means we can only retane on one more player til Hansens contract is over. Kinda stupid if we planned on retaning on the Sedins :(

Naw. Kinda stupid is not realizing you can just retain on one of them a lot instead of both of them a bit.

Also, they won't be traded.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Good trade for both teams. Hate to lose Goldobin, but with Meier and Lebanc doing so well, Goldy wasn't going to get his opportunities here. In return we get what we sorely need: a top 6 winger.

A high-risk, high-reward trade for the Sharks and a necessary trade for a rebuilding Canucks team.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
It's a win win trade for both teams no matter what people are saying. Even if the Sharks win he cup and it's a 1st it's still a win win and vice versa if they don't win!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Excellent acquisition. Hansen has good size and speed, plays with an edge, is a responsible 200' player, plays on the PK, and can contribute offensively. He'll be quite versatile, slotting in on whatever line isn't working or suffers an injury.

Sharks are in win-now mode. Goldobin isn't part of that picture.

Yes there is basically nothing to complain about regarding Hansen, other than that he could be better at everything he is good at. No glaring flaws.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Good trade for both teams. Hate to lose Goldobin, but with Meier and Lebanc doing so well, Goldy wasn't going to get his opportunities here. In return we get what we sorely need: a top 6 winger.

A high-risk, high-reward trade for the Sharks and a necessary trade for a rebuilding Canucks team.
You're going to be blown away by Hansen. He's an absolutely elite puck retriever. It's uncanny. Does everything just 'good' including pass and shoot, but my god can he skate and forecheck.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

You talk about being over simplified and try to compare this with trading Doan for Puljarvi?? Hahaha come onnnn!

Hansen is miles better than doan and puljarvi is miles better than Goldoblin.

You are grossly under valuing Hansen and making it as if Goldoblin had value for the Sharks right now, when he doesn't considering their position. There's a reason you're one of the only people criticizing the trade

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
this trade is just so weird especially after today

Vanek and Vrbata are both so much better than this guy

:laugh:

We had Vrbata... Hansen is a way better all around player and if any gm in the league felt that Vrbata was better should immediately be fired. Sam with Vanek. He brings way more to a playoff team. There was a running joke for years at Canucks practice that Hansen was the best player on th ice. It just didn't translate to games. The past two years it has though. He's turned himself into a core player on any team. He can do everything out there. Super underrated. I hope the Sharks put him in their top 6. He'll do wonders for puck possession. Maybe put him with Thornton

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yes there is basically nothing to complain about regarding Hansen, other than that he could be better at everything he is good at. No glaring flaws.

Except for his skating and work ethic. Those are elite in the NHL. They don't call him the Honey Badger for nothing. Here's a detailed scouting report:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

That's not TOTALLY true, IMO. He's still well below average on a breakaway. He gets alot of them and scores on very few of them, and that can be frustrating. Don't put him on a shootout. Also, while he's improved this and I don't think is a problem anymore, he used to be very poor at finishing chances in tight. Both of these things combined led to people to unfairly label him as having hands of stone for years, despite his ability to regularly score at a 15-20 goal pace even then, with very limited shutdown minutes buried on the third line.

Traditionally, he scores most of his goals off one-timers from cross-seam passes, but lately, he's been good in tight as well.

The great thing about Hansen is that his line tends to get A LOT of scoring chances, because he's absolute dynamite on the backcheck/forecheck and always tilts the ice towards the offensive zone and keeps it there with his puck-hound tenacity.

Personally, I think he's rounded out his game to the point where he's almost as effective as Burrows in his prime. Maybe a notch behind. Similar to Burrows, if this version of Hansen got to play with the prime version of the Sedins, I bet he'd be able to pull off similarly surprising offensive numbers that you wouldn't expect due to pidgeon-holing him as an offensively challenged defensive guy. We got to see it for short stretches.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad