Van' Riemsdyk not available. Kadri's asking price is 'extremely high'

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/937142

James van Riemsdyk is apparently part of the solution in Toronto.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman discussed the Maple Leafs winger's future on Sportsnet 590 The Fan radio Friday morning.

I think (the Maple Leafs) are a seller, but I wonder if that just means, you know, the unrestricted guys, or the guys that are short-term contracts. You know, Van Riemsdyk, I think other teams would love to get their hands on him. I've had a couple of teams tell me that they've asked and been told he's not available. So ... the price is very high for him.

Van Riemsdyk is tied for the team lead in scoring with All-Star Leo Komarov. Both have 29 points. JVR, 27 in May, is under contract through 2017-18 at a salary of $5 million and a cap hit of $4.25 million. Now in his fourth season with Toronto after being acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers for Luke Schenn, Van Riemsdyk has 89 goals and 89 assists in 250 games in blue and white.

Friedman also discussed Maple Leafs center Nazem Kadri, whom the broadcaster recently talked at length about with Toronto general manager Lou Lamoriello.

Related: Projecting Kadri's next contract

"Based on comments Lamoriello made in that interview," Friedman said, "the price is extremely high for Kadri. If you want to take him off his hands, it's really going to cost you."

Finally, Friedman touched on Tyler Bozak's future.

You know, Bozak's a really interesting one. The hardest thing to find in this league are centers. Last year at the draft, they were not getting much for him. And they just say, we'll stay with him and see what happens under (head coach Mike) Babcock. He's had a great year. He's played really well. If you trade him, I look at it as you're going to be looking for him. OK, we traded Bozak, you know what we need, we need a guy who plays like Bozak. I think he's only going somewhere if the price is exceptional.

Kadri's a restricted free agent at the end of the season, playing out a one-year deal worth $4.1 million. Bozak's signed through 2017-18 at a $4.2-million cap hit. He's third on the team in scoring with nine goals and 18 assists in 37 games.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
No surprise on either IMO.

Why would JVR be available? I understand this is a rebuild, but you still need quality players at the end of it.

Also, there is not a single player in the organization that has the tools that JVR, he's a pretty rare commodity.

Keep him for Stamkos ;)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
This sounds like they think one or both of Nylander and Marner will be wingers in the National Hockey League, not centres. And that they don't anticipate acquiring Stamkos.

Though, I personally suspect Bozak will be gone. He'll fetch a late 1st, and one of Stamkos/Marner/Nylander will be next season's upgrade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds a little like posturing and building up trade value as well.

Remember when Cliff Fletcher was always interested in adding someone at the deadline, and you'd have people like Mike Milbury or some small market manager hemming and hawing about how they couldn't get rid of so and so unless the price was sky high, and lo and behold, the Leafs cough up an arm and a leg to get some scrub?

To me, that sounds like what's going on with Bozak...

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This sounds like they think one or both of Nylander and Marner will be wingers in the National Hockey League, not centres. And that they don't anticipate acquiring Stamkos.

Though, I personally suspect Bozak will be gone. He'll fetch a late 1st, and one of Stamkos/Marner/Nylander will be next season's upgrade.

I doubt Marner nor Nylander would be upgrades over Bozak in their first season in the NHL. If that happened in their first year, that would be a pretty phenomenal rookie season.

champs*

• Nylander will be c-man and probably never sees wing in his career
  • Marner will be a winger and if we find him a c-man that fits his game. That c-man becomes a #1 or#2 c-man.
  • These are just my opinions.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/937142

James van Riemsdyk is apparently part of the solution in Toronto.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman discussed the Maple Leafs winger's future on Sportsnet 590 The Fan radio Friday morning.

I think (the Maple Leafs) are a seller, but I wonder if that just means, you know, the unrestricted guys, or the guys that are short-term contracts. You know, Van Riemsdyk, I think other teams would love to get their hands on him. I've had a couple of teams tell me that they've asked and been told he's not available. So ... the price is very high for him.

Finally, Friedman touched on Tyler Bozak's future.

You know, Bozak's a really interesting one. The hardest thing to find in this league are centers. Last year at the draft, they were not getting much for him. And they just say, we'll stay with him and see what happens under (head coach Mike) Babcock. He's had a great year. He's played really well. If you trade him, I look at it as you're going to be looking for him. OK, we traded Bozak, you know what we need, we need a guy who plays like Bozak. I think he's only going somewhere if the price is exceptional.

I've been thinking that even in 2017-18, or 2018-19 we might still have some of the same players on the squad as we do today. It's quite possible that the Leafs are not that anxious to rid themselves of Bozak, Phaneuf and JVR (possibly others) and some seemed to think in the past. The club still needs some veteran players that are good (not suggesting they are elite) and that can play well.

Even if the Leafs were to trade theses guys, I suspect they would be replaced by "in-kind" players and the salaries would not be very different than the players we have today - maybe even higher in this scenario given the source for replacements could be free agency.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I've been thinking that even in 2017-18, or 2018-19 we might still have some of the same players on the squad as we do today. It's quite possible that the Leafs are not that anxious to ride themselves of Bozak, Phaneuf and JVR (possibly others) and some seemed to think in the past. The club still needs some veteran players that are good (not suggesting they are elite) and that can play well.

Even if the Leafs were to trade theses guys, I suspect they would be replaced by "in-kind" players and the salaries would not be very different than the players we have today - maybe even higher in this scenario given the source for replacements could be free agency.

If they are smart, they must know that Phaneuf's contract is going to be an anchor in 2-3 years from now. Are you telling me that a 32-34 year old Phaneuf is going to be valuable at his 7M cap hit? When the Leafs are going to be trying to take the next step, Phaneuf is going to be a hindrance.

About Bozak, I don't get the thinking that "if we trade Bozak, we'll be looking for a player like him". It's not like he is going to be re-signed in 2 years after his contract expires. It's not like he is going to be a part of this team when they become legit contenders. How is a 2nd-3rd line center irreplaceable?

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
If they are smart, they must know that Phaneuf's contract is going to be an anchor in 2-3 years from now. Are you telling me that a 32-34 year old Phaneuf is going to be valuable at his 7M cap hit? When the Leafs are going to be trying to take the next step, Phaneuf is going to be a hindrance.

About Bozak, I don't get the thinking that "if we trade Bozak, we'll be looking for a player like him". It's not like he is going to be re-signed in 2 years after his contract expires. It's not like he is going to be a part of this team when they become legit contenders. How is a 2nd-3rd line center irreplaceable?

Are you trying to say you are smarter than Leafs management? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OvenMittz*

I'm sorry, but I really hope he is just building up there value and trying to play it off as a position of strength which would be great...

But if he is actually telling the truth here and want to hold on to these old core players then i feel that would ruin the rebuild.

Burke refused 4 first rounders... 4!!!! In one season because he felt that they were better then they were.

Grabo
Kuli
McArthur
Reimer

And where are those players now?

Like I said, i hope he's just saying these things to to force the hand of other teams to over pay... But if not, I'm going to start to worry. That's just my opinion.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
There is need to trade these guys until you can fetch a better return (if you need these guys, you have to pay the price)

Toronto is not willing to trade either Kadri or JVR until it's an over payment

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How is a 2nd-3rd line center irreplaceable?
They are talking him up.
Playing up he's had a good year.
which he has.

The best way to trade low is to talk smack about the players you want to move.

Lou is talking him up.
And that's a good thing.

The idea that Kadri's asking price is extremely high is at best debatable. Lou just wants to believe he'll get alot for him. So you announce to everyone on TV that his price is high. And all the other GMs hear about it eventually.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm sorry, but I really hope he is just building up there value and trying yo plat it off as a position of strength which would be great...

But if he is actually twllo g the truth here and want to hold on to these old core players then o feel that would ruin the rebuild.

Burke refused 4 first rounders... 4!!!! In one season because he felt that they were better then they were.

Grabo
Kuli
McArthur
Reimer

And where are those players now?

Like I said, i hope he's just saying these things to to force the hand of other teams to over pay... But if not, I'm going to start to worry. That's just my opinion.

I would trade Bozak for 1st rounder but will not trade JVR or Kadri for just a 1st rounder (as these are going to picks from 20th - 30th)

Heart

Jun 10, 2015

I'm with you, no way Dion and Bozak are pegged into the leafs future. Bozak is replaceable, and if you get a late first for him you don't think twice about it.

What else is Lou gonna say 5-6 weeks before the deadline... Yes our guys have value.... No we aren't gonna just give them away... Yes it's gonna be a sellers market... And yes we are gonna take advantage of it.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
LOL, when did I say that? I would think they are smarter than me and realize that carrying a 32-34 year old Phanuef on his 7M cap hit is not that smart.

What choice do you have? there should a willing partner to make that deal, you are just stuck with it until there is some cap / salary retention

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Sounds a little like posturing and building up trade value as well.

Remember when Cliff Fletcher was always interested in adding someone at the deadline, and you'd have people like Mike Milbury or some small market manager hemming and hawing about how they couldn't get rid of so and so unless the price was sky high, and lo and behold, the Leafs cough up an arm and a leg to get some scrub?

To me, that sounds like what's going on with Bozak...

I think Bozak or Kadri are gone for the right price personally speaking, I don't think JVR is available at all short of a horrendous overpayment.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

and u rread no stamkos into this ? howso

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Bozak or Kadri are gone for the right price personally speaking, I don't think JVR is available at all short of a horrendous overpayment.

Every one is available for the right price, and what is the right price for Kadri (a late 1st?)

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm sorry but no matter how good Bozak is playing, he needs to go. I thought this was a ****ing re-build now all of a sudden all these guys are part of the solution? Bozak's value has never been higher, just move him and keep adding assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad