Confirmed Trade: [VAN/PIT] Mark Friedman and Ty Glover for Jack Rathbone and Karel Plasek

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Pittsburgh won this trade. Rathbone is the only interesting player in this trade. He’s highly proficient as a pp qb, although his defense is really bad.

What a gigantic exaggeration lol.
Vancouver gets a guy who can play solid NHL minutes if there's an injury to the top 6D.

They gave up AHL stuff. It's a decent win now move to acquire depth on D for a playoff run.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Really interesting how far Rathbone has fallen, I remember Canucks fans were wildly high on him a year ago after being a PPG defenseman in the AHL but he seems like he had a down year.

This helps the Penguins with their AHL veteran numbers, so I imagine that's the basis for the trade. Rathbone isn't an AHL veteran yet while Friedman is, while the Penguins have like 8 or 9 AHL veterans in WBS right now.

That tends to happen with anybody paired with Tyler Myers

Vancouver essentially hamstringed all their prospects by saying congrats on the call up, now you’re playing with Tyler Myers, so go clean up his messes.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I think this is more likely an insurance depth move for Canucks on the Right Side. I dont think Friendman is the replacement answer for Juulsen full time. They are still probably hard after Peeke/Fabrro/Bear

Friedman sounds like a solid #6. This is much needed as the next RD call ups into the lineup would have been Mcward, Woo,

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Can Pitt fans provide a scouting report on the Friedman and Glover. Thanks
Glover is big and somewhat athletic but seems like AHL fodder. Had positive reviews from NCAA days despite lack of production. Never stood out talent wise in 2 camps. Not Dubas’s UDFA signing.

Friedman is a depth defender that’s a pest. He’s actually somewhat talented and not going to kill you in a bottom pairing role. Best way I can put his game- you won’t hate him but if your team was competing for the Cup down the stretch- you’d have no problem bringing in a rental to bump him out of the lineup. Hope that gives you an idea.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Isn't he too old for this lazy schtick?

Also, the 27 year old with 65 career NHL games across two organizations and has passed through waivers several times - Sullivan has played him more than everyone in the world, right?
Where did I say anything about age, or that Friedman was anything special? He’s a 6/7 guy that most teams have someone like, but he’s legitimately good enough to play in the NHL.

Everyone should aspire to find someone who will jump on grenades for them as fast as Mike Sullivan apologists. The slightest hint of questioning gods gift to coaching and gotta protect him.

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
Pens basically have two Ty Smiths now, interesting I guess. Friedman is an ok 6th defenseman who’s a pest.
Agree. I’m a fan of Ty smith when he was in NJ. And a fan of rathbone in Vancouver. If Ty smith can’t even crack pitts lineup, doubts rathbone will make it

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Really interesting how far Rathbone has fallen, I remember Canucks fans were wildly high on him a year ago after being a PPG defenseman in the AHL but he seems like he had a down year.

This helps the Penguins with their AHL veteran numbers, so I imagine that's the basis for the trade. Rathbone isn't an AHL veteran yet while Friedman is, while the Penguins have like 8 or 9 AHL veterans in WBS right now.
Jack Rathbone is a classic example of "shinny aura wears off fast for a prospect"
Was once a highly touted OFD prospect. Elliote Friedman even once said on his podcast that "He's my favourite non-nhl player" (Kinda funny now that we acquired a player named Friedman)
A few years of not improving your defnesive game, boom he's 24 already and still cant established himself as a full time nhl player.

Dont know why Dubas wants him considered they just sent a slightly better version of Rathbone named Ty Smith down.

From Vancouver perspective, he's too low on the LHD depth chart. There are like 5 players at least ahead of him.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Dubas trading for yet another defensive liability on the blue line. This is what happens when you allow unqualified analytics dweebs to make hockey decisions. Pittsburgh is absolute screwed with this issue as both GM and President.
We had too many vets in WBS and traded a guy that Sullivan doesn't want to play.

We got a defensemen to play in the AHL and maybe get a call up. Its a nothing burger

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I member when Canucks fans wouldn't shut up about Cody Hodgson.

Canucks fans and overhyping prospects is like peanut butter and chocolate.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
The moment the Canucks drafted Quinn Hughes, there was never going to be a spot for Rathbone in the Canucks lineup unless he miraculously grew another 2-3 inches and become a physical shut-down D.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
We had too many vets in WBS and traded a guy that Sullivan doesn't want to play.

We got a defensemen to play in the AHL and maybe get a call up. Its a nothing burger
Rathbone is not good enough to play in the NHL and never will be. Sadly, Dubas simply doesn't understand that defencemen playing like trash in their own zone isn't acceptable, so he keeps bringing in these pylons. It's a minor symptom of a bigger problem caused by a GM who isn't qualified to work in hockey ops.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks fan here.

Rathbone aint no write-off.
Guy just needs a chance. I think he'll HIT and not be a miss. Good job Pens

Reactions: bh53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad