Confirmed with Link: [VAN/OTT] Canucks acquire 3rd in 2022 (VAN) for D Travis Hamonic

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
This trade is not a big deal but if they're going to blow up a team that has been one of the better ones in the NHL since December (over half the season) then they do not deserve to work in the NHL.
Last two games put a fork in this run,. Fun to see them play well enough to make games meaningful again, but can't sleep walk through first period ga,es that are essentially playoff games.

Totally on board with moves that just generate cap space. I don't think we are that far away, but need to create some flexibility to get the right pieces in.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
Jim Rutherford can't hear you over the sound of his cup rings clinking together.

JR has shown he can build championship teams...and his publicly stated assessment is that this team isn't a contender, it's too expensive and doesn't have enough depth or future pipeline.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Guys, I can understand the excitement. After having to deal with Benning for years, the hope is that you finally have a good management team again...

I am sorry but this doesn't count and it doesn't say anything either way. Any deal with Pierre Dorion is on a separate list, he makes Jim Benning look like the best manager ever.

I'll share this for fun, this is how we voted his worst moves :

#1 - Mika Zibanejad (23 y/o) + 2018 2nd round pick (#33 OA) for Derick Brassard (29 y/o)
#2- Kyle Turris (28 y/o) + 2019 1st round pick (#4 OA) + Shane Bowers + 2019 3rd round pick (#63 OA) for Matt Duchene (27 y/o)
#3- Mark Stone (26 y/o) for Erik Brannstrom + 2020 2nd round pick (#61 OA Egor Sokolov)
#4- Mike Hoffman (29 y/o) + 2020 5th round pick (#126 OA) for Mikkel Boedker (29 y/o) + 2020 6th round pick (#158 OA Philippe Daoust)
#5- 2021 2nd round pick (#37 OA) for Derek Stepan (30 y/o)
#6- 2020 2nd round pick (#52 OA) + Jonathan Gruden for Matt Murray (26 y/o) + extension (4 years x 6.25)
#7- Anthony Duclair (25 y/o) not qualified, let go as a RFA
#8- Drafting Tyler Boucher 10th OA instead of the obvious pick (Cole Sillinger, etc)
#9- Rudolfs Balcers (23 y/o) lost on waivers
#10- Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows (36 y/o) + extension (2 years x 2.5)

This may not sound too dramatic outside of a few moves but note that Dorion became the GM in 2016, the team went on a run right away then immediately had to rebuild the following year. It is EXTREMELY difficult to make bad moves when you rebuild... I mean, your job is trade your assets to the highest bidder, draft well and surround your young players with solid vets, something he has failed to do in a fantastic fashion. Today's deal further proves that he has no idea what he is doing. Seems like a great guy though

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It’s really not a “great return”. It’s average. To find a similar caliber (4/5) defensman at 3M nowadays is impossible. It’s a cap dump. The return wasn’t great. 3rd round pick likely doesn’t see the NHL.

I kind of agree. It’s not a great return. It’s not bad either. Harmonic is a solid a Dman who is best in a 3rd pairing role which he has been playing here. He doesn’t fit into the team’s long term plans. So to me getting rid of his contract and getting any asset back is fine. Considering that he was a UFA signing, we ended up getting a decent return for him. That’s good.

Flipping a 3rd for Dermott is basically just shuffling the deck here though

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Another character signing by Jimbo.

Meh. Is he a different bird because of his race?

The guy won the NHL’s Foundation Player Award. The Flames gave him an award for dedication to community service.

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Good to get the drama queen out, but RD is normally more valuable, how come a LD and RD are now considered the same value?

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Meh. Is he a different bird because of his race?

The guy won the NHL’s Foundation Player Award. The Flames gave him an award for dedication to community service.

For christs sake …. Who in the f*** mentioned race ? (Besides you). Stop virtue signalling it’s disgusting. Nobody said anything about race. He’s weird cuz he’s weird. I’m weird too, nothing to do with my race, I’m just nuts. That’s all.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Great trade. Never should have been signed, glad that chapter is over for the Canucks.

Wish him all the best given the public disclosures related to illnesses in his family and such.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Very happy to offload some salary. Hamonic is a decent player but seems to have other things going on other than hockey. Happy that the Canucks traded him away without having to retain any salary. Good trade.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Hamonic must have really needed a lot of maintenance considering we just gave away a RHD who was decent (I wasn't a huge fan but I thought he was fairly competent especially after his semi-comeback when he started on the team) when we basically don't have anyone to replace him.

My only concern is that we're going to struggle to replace him. And yes, I'm aware of Rathbone. I like him a lot. He doesn't bring what Hamonic does.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
As I've maintained, the Hamonic trade is just another piece of evidence that Allvin/JR should not have trouble offloading the likes of Myers/Poolman/Dickinson. There are dumb GMs out there. Just phone them.

Reactions: mossey3535

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hamonic must have really needed a lot of maintenance considering we just gave away a RHD who was decent (I wasn't a huge fan but I thought he was fairly competent especially after his semi-comeback when he started on the team) when we basically don't have anyone to replace him.

My only concern is that we're going to struggle to replace him. And yes, I'm aware of Rathbone. I like him a lot. He doesn't bring what Hamonic does.
Hamonic isn't any good. The Canucks don't "need" to replace him. Poolman is still hanging around, and it's not like Schenn/Burroughs/Juulsen are any worse than Hamonic.

Dermott will be entering the lineup too.

Reactions: m9 and mossey3535

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad