Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYR] Canucks acquire 4th Round Pick in 2023 for Tyler Motte

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
My conspiracy theory is a team was willing to give up a 3rd for Motte in late Feb/ early March- management says “no, we owe it to the boys to see if we can make the playoffs”.

Circled back on Motte to see if they could re-sign him at a home town discount- nope, wasn’t happening.

Decision then made to make a trade and worked the phones and waiting out the few playoff teams left needing role Players trying to get the offers back to a 3rd. Settled for a 4th.

Reactions: David71

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Underwhelming return but all this shows is he was more valuable to us then to anyone else around the league.

All it proves to me, is these players are a dime a dozen and more often than not mean more to the team trading them.

Not overly sad he was traded and if management struggles to find a replacement, we are screwed with the rest of the roster anyways.

Reactions: hookshott

ChuckNorris4Cup

May 31, 2018
Maybe he struggles in New York or doesn't fit and doesn't look good, then come off season he may not get what he's asking, but maybe him and Canucks can make a deal, never say never.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe he struggles in New York or doesn't fit and doesn't look good, then come off season he may not get what he's asking, but maybe him and Canucks can make a deal, never say never.

I've mentioned before that Rutherford has done the trade-and-then-re-sign thing before in the past with Joe Corvo in Carolina.

They obviously did make some offers to Motte pre-deadline so it would be surprising if they didn't circle back in July and see if something can be done if Motte doesn't get the numbers elsewhere that he's looking for.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Rangers win this trade hands down. Motte was excellent for us game in and game out. Was really good in the last playoffs series the Canucks were in and will help any team he is on.

Poor asset use by the the present regime. Off to a very underwhelming start.

Re-signing in the off season (very small chance of that) is the only way of redeeming this.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
I'd rather have taken a run at resigning him. This is essentially just dropping him.

Where are the big moves?
Nothing wrong with signing him in the off season for 1.2 and still have the 4th round draft choice

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's kind of interesting that the Vanek and Hamonic UFA signings DID turn into draft picks at the end (although the Hamonic draft pick was not technically but essentially swapped for Dermot).

Reactions: Ozone

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Was expecting a 3rd, but not overly surprised.

On a bad team like ours he's a good 4th liner, but on a contender he's a 12th forward at best and I think the return proved that.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I mean, I have to assume that that was the best deal that we could get and if so hard to complain. At the end of the day a small UFA bottom 6 winger isn’t worth all that much.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Was expecting a 3rd, but not overly surprised.

On a bad team like ours he's a good 4th liner, but on a contender he's a 12th forward at best and I think the return proved that.

Why were you expecting a 3rd while simultaneously thinking he's a 12th forward at best?

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
They should have retained 50% and maybe got a 2nd from one of the capped out contenders. Far too many teams with next to zero cap space.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
Poor asset use by the the present regime.

They couldn’t get him signed at a number they wanted so they moved him for whatever they could get. The return isn’t great but it’s definitely not “poor asset use”.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
They should have retained 50% and maybe got a 2nd from one of the capped out contenders. Far too many teams with next to zero cap space.
It probably would have only pushed it up to a 3rd, and I imagine they offered that to teams considering the retention would be very little and only for the remainder of this year but nobody bit.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
They couldn’t get him signed at a number they wanted so they moved him for whatever they could get. The return isn’t great but it’s definitely not “poor asset use”.
It depends on if you view the market as dynamic or static. I think had Motte been shopped in Febuary the return would have been higher. Once deadline day hits the market is all over the place- role players flood the market and drag down prices.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's definitely interesting that they didn't use our empty retention slots to try and get a higher pick.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
It depends on if you view the market as dynamic or static. I think had Motte been shopped in Febuary the return would have been higher. Once deadline day hits the market is all over the place- role players flood the market and drag down prices.
Maybe, but that doesn’t have to do with asset use. They did the right thing, but probably should have gotten a better return.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe, but that doesn’t have to do with asset use. They did the right thing, but probably should have gotten a better return.

Yeah. It's like poker. Sometimes you win with a bad hand, sometimes you lose with a good hand. Sometimes you think you're slow-playing it correctly but should have gone harder earlier.

I think Motte's value was harmed by injuries and the fact that his career high is like 15 points. If he would have had a couple 15-goal/25-30 point seasons on the back of his hockey card I think he would have been less typecast as a 4th liner.

Not getting value becomes a problem when it's a pattern - as we saw with Benning. In this case, on the two guys going out they got better than expected value on Hamonic and worse on Motte. No issues there, really.

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
Asset use was effected by delusional playoff thinking. You either decide to max your assets when the market is high or decide to shoot for the playoffs as a clear bubble team, at the risk of devaluing your assets through market dilution or an injury.

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
Motte with 60 pts over the last 6 years...

Clearly he has little value to any NHL team.

Canuck fans are famous for over valuing our players. 4th line 10-15 pts per season guys like Motte are a dime a dozen.

A fourth round pick still has a slight chance of an NHL player... so you take what you can get.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Asset use was effected by delusional playoff thinking. You either decide to max your assets when the market is high or decide to shoot for the playoffs as a clear bubble team, at the risk of devaluing your assets through market dilution or an injury.
This point can't be stressed enough.....seems to me the current regime was 'addicted' to the same playoff fantasies as the old one. 'When' you trade guys matters. Earlier this season, I'm betting that the offers on the table were probably better for most Canucks players, including Motte.

But when management (or the owner) is clinging to hopes of the playoffs until the bitter end, then you end up with a bunch of guys who's value near the deadline has been diminished. This is simply because the 'buyers' are down to a few teams with playoff aspirations. Most of the rest of the league is out of it and planning for next season, so they're selling into a bloated market for players.

Said it before....being in the 'mushy middle' of teams five points out of the playoffs and refusing to blow it up and run up the white flag on the season, is arguably the worst position you can be in.

Reactions: Dab

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This point can't be stressed enough.....seems to me the current regime was 'addicted' to the same playoff fantasies as the old one. 'When' you trade guys matters. Earlier this season, I'm betting that the offers on the table were probably better for most Canucks players, including Motte.

But when management (or the owner) is clinging to hopes of the playoffs until the bitter end, then you end up with a bunch of guys who's value near the deadline has been diminished. This is simply because the 'buyers' are down to a few teams with playoff aspirations. Most of the rest of the league is out of it and planning for next season, so they're selling into a bloated market for players.

Said it before....being in the 'mushy middle' of teams five points out of the playoffs and refusing to blow it up and run up the white flag on the season, is arguably the worst position you can be in.
It's hard/impossible to tell what's actually going on.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing and there's a realistic argument to be made to support doing nothing this TDL.

Objectively speaking, this group of guys never got a real chance to be a real team
  1. They have an absolute bell end for an owner
  2. They had an absolute moron for a GM who they literally NEVER talked to face-to-face as communication was strictly through their agents
  3. They had a trash incompetent coach with the personality of a dead fish who absolutely butchered the pre-season
I think this roster might have the highest skill potential of any Canucks team in our pathetic history and, for the first time ever for everyone except for Bo, having a normal pre/regular/possible-post season with a normal management team could be exactly what the boys need to develop chemistry and trust and friendships which leads to team defense and team toughness and the disappearance of Bozo.

And we transition from a shady af Aquilini subsidiary to a Tampa/Carolina type of org.

Maybe?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad