Proposal: Van - NYI

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
value is probably fine, but I can't imagine either team actually doing this deal.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I never said trading for a young defenseman would be bad for Canucks... I'm just unsure if Canucks' management team would view Dobson as someone they're willing to trade Podkolzin for. I assume If they were to trade Podkolzin for a defenseman it would have to be a "can't pass up" (hope that makes sense) type of defenseman and I doubt the management team would view Dobson as that to be worth giving up Podkolzin.
Dobson is 20 yrs old, playing well in the NHL. He's as close to "can't miss" as any team would reasonably trade. Especially for someone in Podkolzen, who hasn't played a lot even in the KHL.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Isles I think respectfully decline. Solid deal and makes you pause, however, the need for a young cost controlled possible 1D minute muncher would be tough to give up. How does a Bode Wilde and an add sound???? Probably not enough.
Prefer to add to Podkolzen to get Dobson.

Wilde is a real nice 2nd rounder but Podkolzen is almost can't miss as a top 6 winger

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Dobson is 20 yrs old, playing well in the NHL. He's as close to "can't miss" as any team would reasonably trade. Especially for someone in Podkolzen, who hasn't played a lot even in the KHL.
Dobson is good. I just don't think Canucks would move Podkolzin to address their issue on defense. If they're going to go and improve their defense I doubt they would move their best prospect in the system to do so unless it's a Dahlin/Hughes/Makar/Heiskanen/Drysdale caliber of prospect. (I know Dobson is graduated at this point and isn't really a prospect anymore but the point still stand)

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Dobson is good. I just don't think Canucks would move Podkolzin to address their issue on defense. If they're going to go and improve their defense I doubt they would move their best prospect in the system to do so unless it's a Dahlin/Hughes/Makar/Heiskanen/Drysdale caliber of prospect. (I know Dobson is graduated at this point and isn't really a prospect anymore but the point still stand)

Unless your team is real weak on the wings(and with Boeser I would say that isn't an issue, even more so since I believe he plays the same position as Podkolzin), a similarly valued Defenseman or center for a winger is a no brainer

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Values are really close. Pod has franchise potential, but a huge boom/bust prospect. Dobson has top line potential, but likely Top 4 with a much higher floor.

VAN should definitely make this deal, pairing with Quinn would be amazing. This could rival the AVs DMen pairing. NYI not so sure, few high end DMen are made available with DMen filling a greater need.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I can't honestly say I have ever thought about obtaining Dobson, but I wonder if the Islanders would be interested
in the Calder Runner up, Brock Boeser?

IMO, at this point, Brock "IS" and Dobson "could " be, but I still hold him in high regard, I wonder id the Islander would be interested in this more?

Boeser....... for....... Dobson +

I will probably knock a few Canuck posters out of their chairs, but what would the plus be? and would the Islanders be interested anyways?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I can't honestly say I have ever thought about obtaining Dobson, but I wonder if the Islanders would be interested
in the Calder Runner up, Brock Boeser?

IMO, at this point, Brock "IS" and Dobson "could " be, but I still hold him in high regard, I wonder id the Islander would be interested in this more?

Boeser....... for....... Dobson +

I will probably knock a few Canuck posters out of their chairs, but what would the plus be? and would the Islanders be interested anyways?

Nope, Isles wouldn't be interested. For better or for worse, Bailey and Eberle are locked in at RW for 4-5 years with Wahlstrom on the way. Not saying Bailey Eberle or Wahlstrom's potential is equal to Boeser, just positions are filled.

Dobson's going to replace Boychuk fully in a year and most likely will jump over Mayfield in no time. Having Pulock and Dobson anchor two pairings is more important than getting Boeser.

I love Boeser as a player but LL and Trotz are either going to get a Panarin-type or stay with what they have (a team with perennial 1st or 2nd round exit in the playoffs; if made at all).

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Unless your team is real weak on the wings(and with Boeser I would say that isn't an issue, even more so since I believe he plays the same position as Podkolzin), a similarly valued Defenseman or center for a winger is a no brainer
Canucks' biggest weakness is defense but I do think they have a weakness on the wing moving forward as well.
Values are really close. Pod has franchise potential, but a huge boom/bust prospect. Dobson has top line potential, but likely Top 4 with a much higher floor.

VAN should definitely make this deal, pairing with Quinn would be amazing. This could rival the AVs DMen pairing. NYI not so sure, few high end DMen are made available with DMen filling a greater need.
I think your assessment on Podkolzin is incorrect. He certainly does not have franchise potential nor is he a huge boom/bust prospect. Podz to me is someone who has 1st line potential who can make out in a bottom 6 role if he doesn't put his offensive tools together.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Canucks' biggest weakness is defense but I do think they have a weakness on the wing moving forward as well.

I think your assessment on Podkolzin is incorrect. He certainly does not have franchise potential nor is he a huge boom/bust prospect. Podz to me is someone who has 1st line potential who can make out in a bottom 6 role if he doesn't put his offensive tools together.

I personally believe he’s overrated, but he is supposedly franchise potential. Bottom 6 is more likely and never understood the hype.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I think Dobson is pretty untouchable.

He's the guy the Islanders are counting on becoming their Pietrangelo.

As another poster mentioned above, young top pairing Dmen have more trade valuable than a promising winger every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad