Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Just finished reading more into this guy and he sounds just like Sbisa. All the tools, no toolbox, big, hits, gets penalties, left handed, not a puck mover. Basically the exact opposite of what I was hoping we were targeting.

Think you need to calm/slow down a bit, and also read the right info. Freaking out with 10+ posts on a 2 page thread minutes after the trade isn't the best thing to do.

From Islanders' fans:
He's a big offensive D with a mean streak. Good potential, but currently undisciplined, and 21.

He has a toolbox. Just need to work on discipline.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
The only thing this guy seems that good at doing is racking up PIMs. He barely played last year for some reason and has been bounced up and down from the ECHL. None of those are very good signs going forward. We should be making these trades from the Islanders standpoint, identifying which of our prospects aren't tracking well and trying to scam mid round picks out of clueless organizations.
Over a third a point a game is pretty good for an AHL rookie defenceman. He's really young and seems to be a good enough AHL defenceman, so a third round pick isn't a huge over payment.

My problem with this deal is it seems to be totally reactionary based on the injury troubles of both the Canucks and the Comets. A problem we could have avoided if we didn't send McEneny down for reasons that are still unknown to me.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Just finished reading more into this guy and he sounds just like Sbisa. All the tools, no toolbox, big, hits, gets penalties, left handed, not a puck mover. Basically the exact opposite of what I was hoping we were targeting.

if he's Sbisa that's a big win for us.
Getting a guy who can move up into the top 4 for a third rounder is excellent value.
I'm sceptical though that he's another Sbisa as Sbisa was a first round pick.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Bright side is at least this is another terrible, awful, no good, brainless, clueless pick out of this organization. If the person who recommended this pick is still with this organization its a crime against every fan of this team, living and dead.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The only thing this guy seems that good at doing is racking up PIMs. He barely played last year for some reason and has been bounced up and down from the ECHL. None of those are very good signs going forward. We should be making these trades from the Islanders standpoint, identifying which of our prospects aren't tracking well and trying to scam mid round picks out of clueless organizations.

Agreed.

This is a big call by our pro scouting staff. Hopefully they get it right, but right now I'm pretty skeptical.

Because 3rd rounders turn into NHL players soooo often

They do more often than players who see ECHL time in their 2nd season. And, regardless, that's the sort of attitude that leads to bleeding picks and assets.

Fingers crossed on this one.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Isles fan evaluating trade for you guys:

-We had like no room down in BP constantly rotating defense men so they can get some games in

-Although Pedan is talented, he still has a long way to go. He has some good tangibleness though with his size and shot but is lacking in other important areas of the game

-Good asset management because Pedan was a 3rd round pick back in 2011, so Garth basically recoups the pick he used for him.

Overall, I can see Pedan being a solid #5, 6 guy if he develops. That is the question though if he develops into his potential.

The move makes more sense to me now because we have a ton of guys with ceilings like that in BP. Ok, but not really necessary trade.

Pedan has a big shot but really needs to work on his discipline. If you guys can develop him properly he can be a really nice weapon as a #5, 6 defense men on your team in the future I think he has a good chance at reaching his potential. His skating is also pretty good given his size, if I was Garth I wouldn't of done this trade but we had like no room in BP for him.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
His size. Bite and shot are all promising 21 yrs. And a russian

Utica is gonna compete for the calder guarenteed

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
So he'll be a big, Russian-speaking buddy for Tryamkin down the line. Makes a tiny bit of sense that way. Was a Russia WJC and other select teams guy, and put up some decent numbers as a pro, considering his physical, defensive role. Two big Russian helpings of meat and potatoes now being served to an organization that previously had not much of any of that. We'll see. Can't know now if he's worth the 3rd.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=79402

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
Not even remotely upset about giving up the pick. It's not even in this year's draft and anyone of our bottom 6 guys that we will be forced to trade either this year or next will get that pick back and possibly more.

MISC*

At least I got the Cowan/Tinordi/Despres size I was looking for. Ayyyyyy lmao.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
So he'll be a big, Russian-speaking buddy for Tryamkin down the line. Makes a tiny bit of sense that way. Was a Russia WJC and other select teams guy, and put up some decent numbers as a pro, considering his physical, defensive role. Two big Russian helpings of meat and potatoes now being served to an organization that previously had not much of any of that. We'll see. Can't know now if he's worth the 3rd.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=79402

I'm also wondering if moves like this will be precursors to taking more chances with smaller, skilled d-men like Forsling, Subban. Maybe if we have another guy like Pedan/Tryamkin in the system, the souts are more willing to take a chance on a guy like Hicketts in the seventh. I'm being hopeful, though.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like the sounds of his skillset, but then again I liked Mallet's skillset as well so what do I know.

I think this trade combined with the Lain trade really speaks to the development of Alex Friesen as well as he essentially passed those guys as a potential future 4th line center/utility guy.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Oh yea pedan and tyrmakin gonna have a solid blue line if these are the guys benning targets. Big fast skilled with as much meanness as u could have.

Pretty much what weve missed in dmen since edler in 2010 even erhoff was too soft against boston

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Big slapper, willing scrapper. Worse things to burn a 3rd on, but MS is right - this is a ballsy call by our pro scouting. They better hope they got it right.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Don't know anything about Pedan, and thus it concerns me when we give up a 3rd round pick for him.

Mallett was trash, and will always be known (to me at least) as the guy we took over Damon Severson.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed.

This is a big call by our pro scouting staff. Hopefully they get it right, but right now I'm pretty skeptical.

They do more often than players who see ECHL time in their 2nd season. And, regardless, that's the sort of attitude that leads to bleeding picks and assets.

Fingers crossed on this one.

I mostly agree, but the Tryamkin angle needs to be explored a bit, imo. If there is any hope of getting the Big Russian over to North America we'll likely need a Russian or two at the AHL level.

With Hamhuis likely out we are probably going to see Corrado or an AHL Dman in Vancouver. Utica needs a Dman, they can't play guys like Negrin minutes. Maybe staff in Utica wanted some toughness on the blueline?

I think this probably kills two birds with one stone.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I mostly agree, but the Tryamkin angle needs to be explored a bit, imo. If there is any hope of getting the Big Russian over to North America we'll likely need a Russian or two at the AHL level.

With Hamhuis likely out we are probably going to see Corrado or an AHL Dman in Vancouver. Utica needs a Dman, they can't play guys like Negrin minutes. Maybe staff in Utica wanted some toughness on the blueline?

I think this probably kills two birds with one stone.

Without a doubt. Really like the move if hamhuis and bieksa keep getting slower its my dream these would eventually be our 5/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad