Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NYI] Alexandre Mallet & 2016 3rd-rd pick for Andrey Pedan

Status
Not open for further replies.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
This is the kind of thinking here that really pisses me off. Good organizations are good at drafting because they make multiple selections in the first few rounds. Subban and Cassels are 4th and 3rd rounders, throwing away mid round picks is stupid and yet we constantly do it.
This is essentially using the 3rd round pick to draft a player who may be a little bit mature in the development. I don't see the big problem unless you don't like the player we traded for.

But I do have a problem with trading for a young big physical Dmen who seems to rack up PIM and have no offensive ability.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Do you guys not watch BaconCountry? THIS GUY IS THE FRICKING DEFENSIVE DATSYUK :yo:

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
This. Although Pedan has put up OK numbers at every level.

_________

Pedan is a big, toolsy guy with a mean streak. Hockey sense questions ... not exactly my type of player on paper.

Not in love with trading a fairly high pick for a guy who has spent parts of the last two seasons in the ECHL. Strange move.

Sounds like a young Luca Sbisa.

At least we know Benning has a type.

MISC*

We have a bunch of 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders developing nicely in Utica. Maybe moves like this help develop them even more.

A trade can indirectly help the Nucka long term.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Big defenseman, plays a tough game. His AHL stats aren't great but I wouldn't dimiss him based on them. Decent pickup, Mallet was basically a 50 man roster spot swap for Pedan and the 3rd is the "key" piece going to the Islanders.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
This is essentially using the 3rd round pick to draft a player who may be a little bit mature in the development. I don't see the big problem unless you don't like the player we traded for.

But I do have a problem with trading for a big physical Dmen.

The only thing this guy seems that good at doing is racking up PIMs. He barely played last year for some reason and has been bounced up and down from the ECHL. None of those are very good signs going forward. We should be making these trades from the Islanders standpoint, identifying which of our prospects aren't tracking well and trying to scam mid round picks out of clueless organizations.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Won't really comment further until he gets some AHL games, but I'm hoping he has some sort of NHL upside if we are giving up a third for him.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
ugh. I hate having picks as a part of trades unless it's a trade that includes another pick.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Because 3rd rounders turn into NHL players soooo often

The draft is sort of like a lottery. The less tickets you have the less chance you have to win a prize. And our 3rd rounder in Oshawa seems to be tracking pretty well just like our 4th rounder in Belleville. We should be making more picks like those, not trading away mid round picks for project players like Dalpe and Pedan.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Just finished reading more into this guy and he sounds just like Sbisa. All the tools, no toolbox, big, hits, gets penalties, left handed, not a puck mover. Basically the exact opposite of what I was hoping we were targeting.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
The only thing this guy seems that good at doing is racking up PIMs. He barely played last year for some reason and has been bounced up and down from the ECHL. None of those are very good signs going forward. We should be making these trades from the Islanders standpoint, identifying which of our prospects aren't tracking well and trying to scam mid round picks out of clueless organizations.
So you have a problem with trading for a garbage player for picks rather than the notion of trading away picks to get a prospect. That I understand.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Sort of what i wanted the team to do. i did want us to move a forward prospect for defenseman prospect. A third as well though? Not happy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad