Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NJD] Canucks trade G Cory Schneider to Devils for 9th Overall Pick - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
You're joking right?

I won't go as far as saying as he struggles, but his biggest assets are his quick feet and covering the bottom of the net. He won't go down too early either, so he'll make sure the top of the net get's enough of his attention, but he can get beat there, especially short side.

Hal 9000*

This gets repeated over and over again, but honestly, did any of the people claiming this actually watch this team last year?

The gap in performance between Luongo and Schneider was huge. And given their respective ages, it's only going to get bigger.

Schneider was pulled like 4, maybe 5 times. Luongo was left to rot in the goal for at least 2 or 3 games - that's the difference. That and a 10/12 game run of non-playoff teams that was gifted to Schneider to help out his stats.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Here's the problem with you guys.

Luongo to NJ for the 9th overall pick.
Schneider to NJ for the 9th overall pick.

Those sentences are absolutely the same to me. A lot of you guys are just upset because you think Schneider was clearly the better goalie, when he wasn't.

A couple of playoff meltdowns that were arguably actually team meltdowns = has never played a #1 starter's role in the NHL.

Those are also equivalent risks.

If Luongo was on a 2 year deal, we could only speculate at what he would return. Probably not #9 because of his age, but I would think a late 1st at worst. Contract was always the problem, not his performance.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Pierre just said that the canucks could have gotten 5/6/7th pick quite easily.

Gms shocked at 9th as the only price

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So I'll ask this again here: What is the most a goalie has been dealt for, does anyone know off hand? I know Rolston garnered a mid-1st and a 3rd. Any goalie garner a top10 pick?

Akxx

Sep 7, 2009

Those sentences are absolutely the same to me. A lot of you guys are just upset because you think Schneider was clearly the better goalie, when he wasn't.

A couple of playoff meltdowns that were arguably actually team meltdowns = has never played a #1 starter's role in the NHL.

I agree, plus when Schneider gets his big payday his cap hit will be way more than 5.3M per year.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
If Luongo was on a 2 year deal, we could only speculate at what he would return. Probably not #9 because of his age, but I would think a late 1st at worst. Contract was always the problem, not his performance.

His contract is an asset if it's expected he'll live up to it and that's why they're not allowed. Do you think teams would have trouble moving Weber or Keith because of their long term deals? Hell no.

John Bender*

Well, 6 & 7 were the Alberta teams. I think they targeted Horvat and were trying to keep Cory away from their division.

Last edited by a moderator:

RezChi

Feb 24, 2013
Vancouver
I find it amusing that Gillis sticks to plans that were made long ago. First Hodgson playing him mostly offensively because they were going to trade him. Now it's developing Schneider since 3 years ago to trade him.

What i read from that is that he's an ignorant GM that doesn't like changing plans no matter the circumstance.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East

I prefer Schneider but generally could care less whos in net.

What I do give a **** about is we now are relying a tender who does not appear to want to be here and was pretty much told he would be gone.

That is an issue.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

And then BobbyMac immediately corrected him stating that the situation didn't warrant more. Pierre doesn't know what he's talking about.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
So I'll ask this again here: What is the most a goalie has been dealt for, does anyone know off hand? I know Rolston garnered a mid-1st and a 3rd. Any goalie garner a top10 pick?

Toskala did indirectly. The Sharks got #13, #44, and #98 for him. They then traded #13, #44, and #87 to get #9 where they picked Couture. So they basically got the same return as Vancouver did.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I find it amusing that Gillis sticks to plans that were made long ago. First Hodgson playing him mostly offensively because they were going to trade him. Now it's developing Schneider since 3 years ago to trade him.

What i read from that is that he's an ignorant GM that doesn't like changing plans no matter the circumstance.
He didnt plan the last 3 years. Hes trying to save face after being forced by his own **** ups into having to do an about face.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Toskala did indirectly. The Sharks got #13, #44, and #98 for him. They then traded #13, #44, and #87 to get #9 where they picked Couture. So they basically got the same return as Vancouver did.

And is that the most?

Obviously Schneider is better, but I'm more concerned with goalie value on it's own.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I should also mention that it must be weird as **** for Luongo right now.

It's like being cheated on by your spouse. You've filed divorce, only the other side hasn't signed yet. After a year of acceptance and adjustments, you're ready to move on and now she's like **** it lets get back together. Except in Luongo's case he's bound to this relationship via his contract.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He didnt plan the last 3 years. Hes trying to save face after being forced by his own **** ups into having to do an about face.

If ownership agrees to buy-out Ballard, does Gillis still need to trade Schneider? I'm not sure. That has to be factored in here.

theripper

Jan 22, 2010
Toronto
Pretty sad when what passes for "outstanding" these days for Luongo is not letting in more than 3 GA.

He was OK in games 1 and 2, but you're not going win the cup with OK goaltending. You need an excellent performance which is unfortunately something Luongo's only managed in about 2 of his last 9 playoff series.

luongo has been to game 7 of the finals. Schneider has never won more than 1 playoff game. we were lead by you guys that he was the savior, that he could make the big save, or win the big one. nope,didnt even see a slight chance of that in the playoffs. it was pretty bad,and like I said, if canucks management really thought he was as good as some of you guys are trying to make us think he is, they would have done the impossible to keep him,which they didn't. they actually didn't even try to get the most extreme return, they just dumped him for a 9th spot.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I know this is driven by hindsight with Petan still being on the board at the devils 2nd pick

Schneider+3rd for 1st+2nd

or something more interesting

Schneider, 2014 1st, Ballard
for
9th, 41st (+/- something neutral)

Ballard+2014 1st for Petan. Petan is basically worth a first in a normal draft, so it's not like you would be really losing the 1st.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
His contract is an asset if it's expected he'll live up to it and that's why they're not allowed. Do you think teams would have trouble moving Weber or Keith because of their long term deals? Hell no.

Yes they would have their value lowered by their deals, but I think Kovalchuk would be a better example. He could be a PPG player, and the Devils would still have trouble unloading him with cap recapture on this deal that takes him until he's 43. Weber's deal expires when he is 41, and Kieth's deal until he's 40. They will probably play out their terms unless they get career ending injuries. Kovalchuk probably never intended to play out his contract. These deals were made before the rules changed. Remember, Lecavalier is a 60-70 point guy and yet still got bought out.

Hal 9000*

And I bet they don't regret doing that at all.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

It's like being cheated on by your spouse. You've filed divorce, only the other side hasn't signed yet. After a year of acceptance and adjustments, you're ready to move on and now she's like **** it lets get back together. Except in Luongo's case he's bound to this relationship via his contract.

A few more years... I swear!!!

BreakingBad-SeasonFour-AnnaGunn-BryanCranston.jpg

Hal 9000*

Again, just like a real marriage. And if he really wants out, It'll cost him millions - just like a real marriage.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Yep. And I tell you what, Gillis rolling over like this (assuming this wasn't his idea) just makes Nonis look that much the better.

I'm hamstrung almost to the point of agreeing - and it hoits!

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well, 6 & 7 were the Alberta teams. I think they targeted Horvat and were trying to keep Cory away from their division.

And 5 was Carolina, I don't see them giving up on Ward. 8th was Buffalo, don't know if I see a fit there.

I think Pierre meant he THEORETICALLY should garner the 5-7th pick. But Mackenzie rightly said it was the right return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad