Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NJD] Canucks trade G Cory Schneider to Devils for 9th Overall Pick - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Im glad Schneider is gone. There is no room for nervous players who will cramp up and become nervous enough that they cant play during the playoffs. Only having 1 win out of 5 in the playoffs with an atrocious last 2 performances is not gonna win you the Stanley cup. Lu brought us to game 7 of the SCF, and if the team could score,we would already have a cup.

I can't help but laugh at the irony of someone using tiny playoff sample sizes to pump Luongo's tires. :laugh:

Dado

Devils fan. Is this kid the real deal? I never seen him play besides the few playoff games this year. Is he our Marty replacement or a stop gap?

Nobody replaces Marty.

That said, you'd have a hard time finding a better prospect to take on that role.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
How can you say that? Schneider has outperformed Luongo each and every season. He's clearly a far better goalie right now. Loungo had his worst year since his rookie season. Still elite - no way. He's an average goalie now. If the goal was to make this team better now then this was an atrocious decision. It may be slightly better for the future, but if our new prospects will only be ready when the Sedins are phasing out, what's the point?

Look, I think Schneider is the real deal in both talent and athletic ability. But I've been watching goalies for a long time, and he's never played in more than 33 games. That's a big red flag. To be honest, until a guy plays 60 games you have no idea how he's going to really pan out. To me it was ok to gamble on Schneids becuase he's so damned talented. He's like a more fiery Carey Price if you ask me.

The problem is that as the backup it's a lot easier to put up .920. Look at Budaj in Montreal - I thought that guy was out of the league. But behind Price and a Montreal team on a roll in his last 10 games he went 7-1 with a .938 save percentage.

This narrative has been repeated over and over again in the NHL. Guy plays 30-40 games as the backup, looks great especially if he is a young guy. Gets traded somewhere else or given the starting job and it turns out he can't handle it. For all his talent, there was a risk in going with Schneids.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I was for trading Schneider, but for good-to-great players that can help us now. Looks like Lamoriello knew that the only other team is Edmonton meaning Gillis had no choice but to take the single pick.

I'm a Gillis fan but this is comical. Years of saying that there's a market for Luongo and pegging Schneider as the goalie of the future, the need to get younger, and then the 180 today.

It is a great organization and things out of control will happen, but, please, less shooting itself in the foot.

We couldnt take back salary.

This was not a strategic move this was a panic no other option move.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I wonder if we are overlooking the upside to keeping Luongo? He is absolutely an elite back-up! He is a mentoring veteran. He is a former Captain and leader in the room. He can come off the bench and perform very well in stretches. He has cost certainty.

That sounds like a guy that you'd look for if you were going with a raw rookie starter, doesn't it?

I was crushed when I realized Schneider had to go, but it was evident for a while. I just didn't want to believe it! I thought the Canucks would weasel out of the situation somehow. This is a big mistake, I think, but perhaps one that had to be made? I bet Gillis pushes Horvat into the line-up as part of his "developing players in the NHL" initiative.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/articl...vat-and-Shinkaruk-can-make-NHL-impact-soon.ht

I hope Gillis is doing a bigger overhaul than projected and this trade looks better in the context of a full offseason.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Devils fan. Is this kid the real deal? I never seen him play besides the few playoff games this year. Is he our Marty replacement or a stop gap?

He's going to be an upper tier starter in this league, although a tad overrated by the Canucks fanbase. He has great numbers, but 2013 was his first season with the majority of starts. He's excellent down low, but struggles a bit with short side shots mid to upper level of the net.

He has weird dehydration/nervous issues which lead to him cramping up at inopportune times, like game 6 2011 vs Chicago. He was great vs LA in 2012, but wasn't good in game 3 or 4 of the SJ series. He was coming off a groin injury, but his struggles didn't look groin related.

I'm confident though that if NJ re-signs him, they will be set in goal for years to come.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
That excuse works the first time ownership "requests" you do something stupid.

After years of it, however, it's not an excuse, and it's time to realize you've become Garth Snow.

It's the exact same **** that happened with the Phoenix Suns when Robert Sarver took over as an owner.

When they decide to stick their hand into the operations, you either listen to them or you resign like Steve Kerr did.

Thankfully our owners aren't nearly as cheap as Sarver, because he sold picks for cash considerations despite the Suns success in the past decade.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I dont understand all the positive feedback that gillis gets in this situation.
posters saying he had no choice/ he had his hands tied. Well FFS he's the guy who tied hisown hands.

He's the guy who gave schneider the #1 spot by giving him that nice contact and publicly saying that he is our #1.

What a slap in the face that was for Luongo. And I have to give Lou great respect
for getting that humiliation and not letting it affect his game and being a classy gentlemen about the whole situation.

And now this! Oh yeah roberto since we tried to trade you to 30 teams and failed
we think that you are our #1 now.

IMO gillis is like a fish out of water. He is not a very good GM.

theripper

Jan 22, 2010
Toronto
The last 2 games he played he was hurt. Prior to that his playoff performances - for a young goaltender with no experience - were outstanding. Get your head out of dark places.

prior to...LOL. yeah lets keep the excuses going. he was healthy enough to play even though we had another healthy goaltender who was playing outstanding. there is no excuse for his poor playoff outings. im sure if he was so great, gillis would have done anything possible to keep him. I guess management felt different,and I wouldn't doubt his playoff performances made them nervous enough that they jumped on a trade only for a #9 draft pick.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He's going to be an upper tier starter in this league, although a tad overrated by the Canucks fanbase. He has great numbers, but 2013 was his first season with the majority of starts. He's excellent down low, but struggles a bit with short side shots mid to upper level of the net.

He has weird dehydration/nervous issues which lead to him cramping up at inopportune times, like game 6 2011 vs Chicago. He was great vs LA in 2012, but wasn't good in game 3 or 4 of the SJ series. He was coming off a groin injury, but his struggles didn't look groin related.

I'm confident though that if NJ re-signs him, they will be set in goal for years to come.

You're joking right?

Dado

When they decide to stick their hand into the operations, you either listen to them or you resign like Steve Kerr did.

Yep. And I tell you what, Gillis rolling over like this (assuming this wasn't his idea) just makes Nonis look that much the better.

Frankiedarling

Jan 27, 2012
Seattle, Washington
So I'm not as down on this as most people seem to be.

First, there isn't much difference between the two goalies right now. For the next 3-4 years, we'd likely get quality goaltending from either one. Then, remember that we have goalies in the system who will likely grow and improve within that timeframe. By the time Luongo retires or moves on, we will have more goalies, good ones.

Second, the return is pretty damn solid. This is the 10th overall in a very deep draft. Goalies don't bring in what they used to, and for a guy who hasn't ever played a full season, I'm satisfied.

So the way I see it, we traded from a position of strength for us (G) to gain in a position we're weak (Forward). If any one of our multiple goal-tending prospects (good ones, I might add) pan out, then we basically just traded someone we don't need for something we desperately need: a high ****ing draft pick, god dammit!

Does it hurt losing Cory? Yes. Very much so. Great guy. But a goalie had to go, and I don't see how we could have gotten a better deal.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
prior to...LOL. yeah lets keep the excuses going. he was healthy enough to play even though we had another healthy goaltender who was playing outstanding. there is no excuse for his poor playoff outings. im sure if he was so great, gillis would have done anything possible to keep him. I guess management felt different,and I wouldn't doubt his playoff performances made them nervous enough that they jumped on a trade only for a #9 draft pick.

Pretty sad when what passes for "outstanding" these days for Luongo is not letting in more than 3 GA.

He was OK in games 1 and 2, but you're not going win the cup with OK goaltending. You need an excellent performance which is unfortunately something Luongo's only managed in about 2 of his last 9 playoff series.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
"He'll have to fight me for it"

Brodeur on the starting job in N.J.

First order of business... make Schneider/Brodeur video like the Schneider /Luongo one. :handclap:

Honestly, lol at the comments of Brodeur and Lamoriello.

Brodeur is done - he was probably the worst #1 goalie in the NHL last year. Schneider was top-5 in the league.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Here's the problem with you guys.

Luongo to NJ for the 9th overall pick.
Schneider to NJ for the 9th overall pick.

Those sentences are absolutely the same to me. A lot of you guys are just upset because you think Schneider was clearly the better goalie, when he wasn't.

A couple of playoff meltdowns that were arguably actually team meltdowns = has never played a #1 starter's role in the NHL.

Those are also equivalent risks.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
schneider is clearly the better asset and he's 1.3m a year cap hit cheaper. if you honesly are trying to say they're the same you're being intellectually dishonest

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
You're joking right?

Struggles a bit, I didn't say he was a complete sieve short side and upstairs. He does tend to struggle short side. I was seeing it all year, and mentioning it in the GDT's.

"He'll have to fight me for it"

Brodeur on the starting job in N.J.

So Schneider is back to paying his dues behind another veteran goalie. I'm sure he's thrilled with that. :sarcasm:

The last 2 games he played he was hurt. Prior to that his playoff performances - for a young goaltender with no experience - were outstanding. Get your head out of dark places.

He wasn't playing hurt or he wouldn't have been cleared. Leaving loose pucks on the doorstep or getting beat rapid fire in game 3 had nothing to do with his groin.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
bye bye schiends good luck in jersey, well at last the goalie drama is dealt with time to move on and fix some holes for the current roster

Dado

Brodeur is done - he was probably the worst #1 goalie in the NHL last year. Schneider was top-5 in the league.

Lamoriello showing respect for his vet, eh. It's a fantastic situation for Schneider - he'll have a team guy and a legend as his backup, at least for a season.

And he'll with a team who's fans have come to appreciate high quality consistent goaltending.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Bryz, Halak and Kipper were easily worse.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Here's the problem with you guys.

Luongo to NJ for the 9th overall pick.
Schneider to NJ for the 9th overall pick.

Those sentences are absolutely the same to me. A lot of you guys are just upset because you think Schneider was clearly the better goalie, when he wasn't.

A couple of playoff meltdowns that were arguably actually team meltdowns = has never played a #1 starter's role in the NHL.

Those are also equivalent risks.

Why then do you think Luongo couldn't return a bag of pucks while several teams were offering serious assets for Schneider?

And don't say Luongo's contract, because all that means is people don't expect him to be able to live up to it which is a negative reflection of his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad