Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks trade F Dale Weise for D Raphael Diaz

Dissonance

Feb 27, 2002
Cabbage Patch
Visit site
Weise was a much, much better player than people are giving him credit for. Hard to find a 4th liner who will put up the numbers he does. But Tortorella seemed to hate him for whatever reason so I guess it's all moot at this point.

Diaz isn't bad. Not a major offensive threat or anything but decent positionally and good at making safe plays from what I've seen. Probably wouldn't crack our top 6 when everyone's healthy but it's never the case that everyone's healthy.

So... sure, why not?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Isn't Diaz the guy who made the suicide pass to Eller leading up to the very bloody Gryba incident last playoffs?

Also, bye Weise. Don't get on Therrien's bad side.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Diaz is a UFA on July 1 but this is a terrific trade. Wow. What the $*&#, Bergevin? It also gives the Canucks another right-handed D if they can re-sign Diaz -- gives some more trade flexibility for Gillis...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Diaz is a Top-4 defenseman. You guys killed this trade, even if he ends up being the #6 in a few weeks. So mad at Therrien, Bergevin, and Montreal. What a ****ing joke.

Thank god Vancouver is my second favourite team.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Who was better here: Weise or Tanner Glass

People on here used to say Tanner Glass was garbage

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
You guys got the better end of the deal. If there's something Diaz is great at something, it's that he doesn't get scored on too often. Plus, he blocks shots, which I'm sure Torts would love.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Weise is perfectly fine as a 4th line guy, but given our injury problems on D this trade makes sense.

NHLNucksFan

Mar 6, 2011
Vancouver
Not know much about Diaz, I'm not sure how I feel about the trade. Weise is a pretty good 4th liner for what he brought to the table.

Man, we just lost the Dutch Gretzky. :cry:

:laugh:

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
If Montreal needs 4th liners, this is fine for them. Weise's stats are inflated by some secondary assists and flukes, but he's far from a bad player. Just didn't click with Torts.

Excited for Diaz. When everyone's healthy, this is clearly a move intended to have a replacement for a traded defenseman.

It's a domino move. When we get healthy, Diaz is too good to sit in the press box. One of Tanev, Bieksa or Edler is almost certainly on their way out before March 5. Stanton is also too good to sit in the press box, so it just makes sense.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What. Okay, I guess. It wasn't the type of trade I was expecting when LeBrun says we're ready for a re-tool. :laugh:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'm really glad the Canucks have found their "identify undervalued NHL-calibre talent" legs again. This trade is great value.

Diaz has double the career PPG of Weise, and he's a defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad