Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks trade F Dale Weise for D Raphael Diaz

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Has Tiranis given his thoughts on the trade yet?

Possibly, somewhere in the thread. Good deal for the Canucks, mostly because Diaz was hugely underrated by the Habs. (Do think most people are underrating Weise in this thread and making the Habs fans feel worse than they should. That said, the talent level difference between the two is still pretty massive.)

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
This trade is a waste of time. Why bother acquiring some concussed, regularly scratched loser who is damaged goods? Diaz is the Booth of defensemen.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Hamhuis/Edler gone for Voracek/Simmonds/ROR

Thinking something like this for the base of a trade

Bieksa/Edler maybe. Hamhuis has been our best defenseman since arriving in 2010. Absolutely no way he gets moved, there's such a small chance that we'd actually get fair value.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Adding on Hamhuis - if the team does end up re tooling/re building, he's a spectacular role model for younger players with respect to on-ice play, off-ice conduct, community involvement, etc. He needs to stay.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
This trade is a waste of time. Why bother acquiring some concussed, regularly scratched loser who is damaged goods? Diaz is the Booth of defensemen.

Diaz doesn't have an awful contract though. Most of the hate on Booth is because he makes so much.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
not sure I like the trade. 25 year old 6"2 210 lbs forward for a 28 year old 5"11 193 lbs defenseman. Thought Weise is our better 4th line grinder compared to what we had for so many years. i.e. the Glass and Hordichuks. We need 4th guys who can bring intensity come playoffs and is capable of chipping in some goals when needed (if we even make it). We'll see...

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
not sure I like the trade. 25 year old 6"2 210 lbs forward for a 28 year old 5"11 193 lbs defenseman. Thought Weise is our better 4th line grinder compared to what we had for so many years. i.e. the Glass and Hordichuks. We need 4th guys who can bring intensity come playoffs and is capable of chipping in some goals when needed (if we even make it). We'll see...

Lol height doesnt matter if you don't use it and as far as intensity, we had been all waiting for it from Weise for a while. Also don't always need to be physical to be effective, i.e Salo

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Possibly, somewhere in the thread. Good deal for the Canucks, mostly because Diaz was hugely underrated by the Habs. (Do think most people are underrating Weise in this thread and making the Habs fans feel worse than they should. That said, the talent level difference between the two is still pretty massive.)

I read most of the thread, but I didn't see anything from you until now. Nice to see your thoughts, I also think we got great value from the trade, especially if we manage to sign Diaz. It also allows us to trade one of our D because we can't have Stanton or Diaz sitting considering their both great bottom paring defenseman, Diaz even a potential top 4 defenseman.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth

playoffs.jpg

Seriously though, when has Weise ever been a playoff warrior. I may be undervaluing him here but some people are also grossly overrating him in the process.

We are going to have a hard time making the playoffs this season but even if we do Weise would have seen very little ice time. He is a 4th liner who, in my opinion, is easily replaceable and wouldn't have been a factor in any series we may play in.

Lowkey

Nov 24, 2006
Obviously this move was made for a few reasons, immediate roster concerns, talent upgrade, and perhaps a long term re-structuring of the defense. This move gives the team much better balance on the D pairs with a lot more options on the right side than we've seen in recent years. While at the same time opening up the possibility of trading pretty much any dman without creating nearly the problem it would have before.

Hamhuis Tanev
Edler Bieksa
Garrison Diaz / Garrison
Stanton Weber / Corrado

Looks to me the leading candidate to be moved is Edler with Tanev a possibility as well.

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
Diaz doesn't have an awful contract though. Most of the hate on Booth is because he makes so much.

I meant in more the "suffered a major concussion and was never quite the same since" sense... hopefully I am wrong in my assessment.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
why are people even making proposals to move Booth at this point? All that does is lock us in with another contract. He is gone after this season. just leave it at that.

Dezmoto

May 3, 2013
Los Angeles
Personally I like the trade, Weise was turning into Taylor Pyatt (a big guy that doesn't hit).
As for Booth, well I like him just not for that contract.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Diaz was a top point scorer last year, he was simply not in the plans anymore ... and then the slope went down as he got paired with unfitting partners.

When being with the right guy, he is actually pretty good.

Hopefully he will yield to his potential with the Canucks.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Diaz was a top point scorer last year, he was simply not in the plans anymore ... and then the slope went down as he got paired with unfitting partners.

When being with the right guy, he is actually pretty good.

Hopefully he will yield to his potential with the Canucks.

Does he have the ability to stay in the top 6, including re-signing him for next year as a regular D?

That's what Canuck fans want to know about. With the reports of him being a good shot blocker and averaging 19:00 a game, is definitely solid.

But being called one of the softest players and being scratched 8 times this season definitely has a lot of question marks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Just going to assume you are trolling because Diaz is a UFA, Diaz cost just over $1m, Canucks are missing Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa, Alberts, Weber and need a warm body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad