Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks trade F Dale Weise for D Raphael Diaz

member 202355

Now let's trade Burrows, Edler and Hansen and acquire a top 6 winger.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Now Edler + Hansen for Voracek + picks/prospects.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Voracek - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - Richardson - Dalpe
Booth - Lain - Sestito
Archibald

Hamhuis - Tanev
Garrison - Diaz
Stanton - Bieksa
Weber/Corrado/Alberts

Lu
Lack

I think booth gets waived if they end up acquiring voracek.

Sestito lain archibald on the 4rth line. Tough line but you can forget about them scoring or being capable defensively

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
I think booth gets waived if they end up acquiring voracek.

Sestito lain archibald on the 4rth line. Tough line but you can forget about them scoring or being capable defensively

If we get Voracek I will drive booth to Utica

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Hard not to like this trade. Weise is fine as a fourth liner, but he's basically a replacement level player who thanks to some fortunate luck (slightly inflated on-ice SH% and points on 92% of goals he's been on the ice for) has put up some nice point totals this season. He's been better than some of the trash the Canucks have played on their fourth line in recent seasons, but the Canucks have a few guys like him now. There was some hope that he'd improve because he was young when the Canucks got him, but his window is probably closing in that regard.

Diaz is at worst a solid bottom pairing defender, and there's a decent chance he's better than that but just lost in the cluster**** that is the Canadiens right now. He gives the Canucks options in terms of moving around parts on defence. Gives them an edge to sign him, if they want, too.

Who in your opinion would be some of those guys? Just curious.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
6febb17c8d2711e3b0c612c8413ba65c_8.jpg
To the people asking why he's wearing #24... I don't think he was ever a huge fan of 61. His actual # is 16, so he did the classic flip.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I posted here a lot with my frustations, but I'll give a better scouting report on Diaz now.

Positive
  • Great positionally
  • Very active stick
  • Smart
  • Good first pass (despite Eller's injury)
  • Good PP passer (great with a decent shooter)
  • Good penalty killer
  • Great shot blocker
  • Capable of playing 20+ quality minutes per game.
  • Fantastic bottom pairing defenseman, solid Top-4 guy.
  • Good skater

Negative
  • Poor shot (not accurate)
  • Not physical
  • Gets pushed around easily

Last edited:

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
61296-Peb4E4iW47EzTxKwhPPOiA.jpg

Was thinking who had 16. Then remembered that it's the great Trevor Linden who has it :laugh:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I posted here a lot with my frustations, but I'll give a better scouting report on Diaz now.

Positive
  • Great positionally
  • Very active stick
  • Smart
  • Good penalty killer
  • Great shot blocker
  • Good skater

Negative
  • Not physical

Thanks for the report. A lot of positives. I like that while he may not have a good shot, he's a good PP passer. Could work here.

I find it interesting that although he gets pushed around easily, that he is still good defensively overall.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
One thing that will scary is the fact Luongo is a poor puck handler and Diaz is scared off his own shadow when he goes back to pick up the puck.

He doesn't handle a forecheck well at all

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the report. A lot of positives. I like that while he may not have a good shot, he's a good PP passer. Could work here.

I find it interesting that although he gets pushed around easily, that he is still good defensively overall.
His positioning and active stick are what helps him defensively. By pushed around easily, I mean in front of the net. Good thing with Diaz is that he usually doesn't get caught in that position.

Teams scored less goals per 60 minutes with Diaz on the ice than other other defenseman on our team (he was second to Gorges when he got scratched, but Gorges numbers have been inflated in the past two weeks because we've been killed). They acutally began scoring more when he started facing weaker competition because he was paired with Bouillon and Murray who are both barely NHL defenseman (think worse than Alberts).

He's good man, trust me. Don't judge him on the first few games (hasn't played for two weeks), but he'll be good. He's going to Sochi for the Swiss too.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
I think I see what's going on. Our bottom 4 could look like this

Garrison Tanev
Stanton Diaz

Gillis hates the draft so much he's gradually creating a team comprised of nothing but undrafted players. Starting with the defence.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Nov 19, 2007
Someone else wore 24 didn't they? I'm almost sure of it. A swedish guy I think.

edit* It was Jonas Anderson who wore it for 4 NHL games with the Canucks in 2011.

****, completely forgot about that guy. Handful of games for the Canucks and then left the team mid-season.

It's a wonder someone hasn't registered on this board with his name for a handle. Give it a couple of years I guess...

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013

Positive
  • Great positionally
  • Very active stick
  • Smart
  • Good penalty killer
  • Great shot blocker
  • Good skater

Negative
  • Not physical

Sounds like a potential partner for Jason Garrison to me.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I think I see what's going on. Our bottom 4 could look like this

Garrison Tanev
Stanton Diaz

Gillis hates the draft so much he's gradually creating a team comprised of nothing but undrafted players. Starting with the defence.

Hahaha that's actually pretty funny.

Goaltenders, too (Lack, Eriksson)

....and forwards... (Burrows, Fox... Archibald too, no?)

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
****, completely forgot about that guy. Handful of games for the Canucks and then left the team mid-season.

It's a wonder someone hasn't registered on this board with his name for a handle. Give it a couple of years I guess...

who the heck is jonas anddersson? and where did he come from

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad