Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] R. Luongo (15% retained) + S. Anthony for J. Markstrom + S. Matthias

Status
Not open for further replies.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
It's alright guys Leafs had John Ferguson Junior and only missed the playoffs for like 8 straight years because of bad deals you guys will be out of it soon

Gillis isn't a bad GM, much better than Nonis and Burke. We would miss at most 2 years from the playoffs, this year and next year.

I don't know what anyone was expecting, Gillis made the best out of a poor situation.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
This is bittersweet. Luongo remains a good #1 goalie with a manageable cap hit and I don't see the Canucks improving in net with Schneider gone. Then again, it's not like the Canucks are going anywhere with Luongo in net, so it might be worth a shot to spend less in net and use the cap savings to improve the team in other areas.

well it been proven that cheaper goalie can win cups see osgood with detriot.....

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
I actually think the return for Luongo was very good. Better then the Tor deal that almost went down last year (per. dreger - Scrivens + 2nd + 1mill salary retention) so all in all this is a very good trade.

The only downfall is it's a year to late, and at the expense of Schneider.

The rationalizing begins... Awesome asset management, Mike!

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Terrible trade, in my opinion. If the return is that low, I rather have him not trade at all.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Horvat is a fair piece.

In the overall picure, I rather have: Lack + Horvat than Schneider.

Same. I'm not sure if some don't know him or follow him but Horvat is going to be a very, very good player for this team and for a long time.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Luongo was the elephant in the room. You know when a co-worker at work is disgruntled with their job (eventhough they are a great teammate) it will cause a distraction and doesnt create a healthy work enviornment. Its probably the best scenario for everyone involved and im excited about Lack going forward. We went from spending a decent chunk of capspace on goalies to now only a very small percentage. frees up a lot of money for a potentially deep forward core in a few years.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Luongo was the elephant in the room. You know when a co-worker at work is disgruntled with their job (eventhough they are a great teammate) it will cause a distraction and doesnt create a healthy work enviornment. Its probably the best scenario for everyone involved and im excited about Lack going forward. We went from spending a decent chunk of capspace on goalies to now only a very small percentage. frees up a lot of money for a potentially deep forward core in a few years.

well I think MG went back to detriot model to an extent with cheap goaltending so forward group will be able to spend more

Detriot for years had cheap cheap goaltending with Osgood so that formula works

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
in the traded / received columns, you have to put luongo's contract as a major divestment, along with cap space as a major acquisition

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Pretty much blows my mind that this trade isn't met with unequivocal enthusiasm around here. We'd all rather have Schneider, but given the fact he's already gone, this is as good as I could possiblly imagine with respect to return.

Christ, people were talking a deal for Erat this morning...

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Pretty much blows my mind that this trade isn't met with unequivocal enthusiasm around here. We'd all rather have Schneider, but given the fact he's already gone, this is as good as I could possiblly imagine with respect to return.

In fairness Erat could/should be off the books in three months. Now the best case scenario appears to be $800k in dead cap space for the remainder of Luongo's contract term.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011

Actually in the context of a re-tool, I would rather have Markstrom/Lack than Schneider at some ridiculous amount of salary which he will probably get in 1-2 years. But yeah, I agree. This isn't just blind justification, both Schneider and Lu's trades had merits.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'd have to agree. But the media is so influential on so many people.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

I understand the poor asset management talk but I really don't understand why so many people are upset that Luongo is actually traded. I didn't think anyone still thought he would play the remainder of his contract here. The writing was on the wall. But surprisingly I'm seeing a lot of people saying they won't ever forgive the Canucks for trading Luongo and whatnot and how they will regret trading him. Makes no sense.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I've been critical of Gillis' move but i think this was the right move. We get a good Goalie prospect (in my opinion can get improved by Melanson) plus a 6"4 serviceable bottom 6 player.

Most importantly we can now focus on the team and not this whole Luongo fiasco.

Good move lets' keep it coming this team needs a shake up and an injection of youth.

I believe in Lack I also believe in Markstrom.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Horvat is a fair piece.

In the overall picure, I rather have: Lack + Horvat than Schneider.

Or you could have Lack + Schneider instead of Lack + Horvat.

What the hell was Gillis thinking?

Lu has done a lot for our city; however, I am glad to be rid of his contract. I don't really care about the return. As far as I'm concerned, Luongo had negative value at his contract.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I was an early Gillis supporter, but this is just insane. The last few years have just been brutal, the awful Hodgson trade, bad drafting, not getting rid of AV soon enough, horrible deadline moves, and now this.

When they got rid of Schneider, it was defendable when they were keeping Lou since he was untradeable. Clearly that wasn't the case. Now, they've got neither.

I said a few days ago that no way would they be stupid enough to get rid of Kesler. Well, they've certainly proved themselves stupid enough.

We're going to be a lousy team for a good 5+ years now. If we're lucky. Probably more like 7-10.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
So far so good for Mike Gillis, but don't stop there.

One of Kesler or Edler needs to be traded to restock the top 6 youth. If either trade goes down, then it should be a successful trade deadline

John Bender*

I was an early Gillis supporter, but this is just insane. The last few years have just been brutal, the awful Hodgson trade, bad drafting, not getting rid of AV soon enough, horrible deadline moves, and now this.

When they got rid of Schneider, it was defendable when they were keeping Lou since he was untradeable. Clearly that wasn't the case. Now, they've got neither.

I said a few days ago that no way would they be stupid enough to get rid of Kesler. Well, they've certainly proved themselves stupid enough.

We're going to be a lousy team for a good 5+ years now. If we're lucky. Probably more like 7-10.

I have a whole lotta "what?" in response to this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad