Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] R. Luongo (15% retained) + S. Anthony for J. Markstrom + S. Matthias

Status
Not open for further replies.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Oh man, I can totally tell Lack and Markstrom were teammates after watching this:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Happy to have this chapter over now...Lu was a good guy and a very good goalie for us, happy that he finally got his wish. Would be happy to see Gillis and Torts gone next along with Kesler, Edler and Bieksa. Make it so.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Lets just have an all Florida line next year of Booth-Matthias-Santa. No need to buy anyone out, our goalies are oober cheap.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Luongo immediately got better in the eyes of media and fans outside of Vancouver because he got traded from here.

Good riddance to a guy who essentially handcuffed this team from making any type of trade until he got his ultimate wish.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
Luongo immediately got better in the eyes of media and fans outside of Vancouver because he got traded from here.

it went from "haha 7uongo, canucks are a joke" to "poor luongo, canucks are a joke" in just a couple of seasons

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I like the feeling of not having anyone on contract for more than 5 years out now.

Major increase in flexibility.

Man, sucks that we couldn't just keep Schnieder and deal Luongo last year, and Lack next year when he gets more NHL games under his belt.

yourideahorse

Apr 25, 2007
People keep on trying to put things in a vacuum instead of the reality the moves occurred in.

Going into the summer the team knew it was going to be in a cap crunch. They couldn't move Luongo for anything nor were they able to buy him out (ownership). They also couldn't buy out Booth (injury) so it left them with really only a couple of clean options...Schneider or Edler (before the NTC kicked in). They didn't feel the value was there for Edler and moved Schneider. It was a surprise to some but given the cap hell reality it was one of the few choices they had.

This year Gillis was up front and honest that with the cap crunch and where the salary structure was they were simply going to try to tread water and make the dance (he phrased things differently but that's what was intimated).

They have been high on Lack since signing him as a UFA. He was always going to be given 30 games this year to see what he was made of. Luongo while being given the starting job hasn't shut up about wanting to be dealt. He's played hard. I'm sure he's been a great team mate but it has been clear since that one day last summer he doesn't want to be in Vancouver. I think the canucks tried to convince him to change his mind but it was clear it was never going to happen. Luongo himself said it today...he is surprised because he thought the contract was untradeable, not that he didn't want to be traded. He started to make a lot of noise and he was dealt.

Heritage classic...people I see are pointing out that Luongo talks with Florida didn't start until yesterday so holding him out for that reason is bogus. Except Brisson was given permission to talk to teams going into the weekend and he concentrated on Florida. That concetration likely began before yesterday. And even if the talks weren't ongoing if they weer going to move him it makes sense to sit him anyways.

Now I think people forget that Luongo is the one the precipitated everything with his trade demand and only being willing to go to Florida when he was moveable (perhaps). He killed the possibility of getting moved from Vancouver early on and the CBA coupled with his contract and further coupled with his play sank his value.

Those proclaiming the canucks treated poorly are full of it. He never was treated poorly. unless those people strongly believe waiving him for buyout and getting claimed by Edmonton would have been doing him a favour....

And if the canucks receive competent goaltending from the stable of tenders they now have Gillis doesn't look bad at all in all of this. This really is a wait and see because of that.

Repost every couple pages. Perhaps that will make some people read it and grab some perspective instead of rehashing half truths, backwards expectations and rumours that have become fact. I.e.: "Toronto package better", "Cody score more point", "Schnieder worth more than guy I've judged but never watched." etc.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I like the feeling of not having anyone on contract for more than 5 years out now.

Major increase in flexibility.

Man, sucks that we couldn't just keep Schnieder and deal Luongo last year, and Lack next year when he gets more NHL games under his belt.

? Schneider will be more than $6 mil on a longer than 5 year contract pretty soon... sooner than the Canucks will be contending...

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Wow. Never thought this day would come.

The return for Luongo is okay. He clearly isn't a top-10 goalie anymore, so anyone expecting a similar return to what Miller got for example is out of their mind. Bryzgalov was once a top goalie too, doesn't have any contract-related restraints to him and just got moved for a 4th round pick. Matthias might not be great, but there's no question he's an NHL player. I think this optimism with Melanson "fixing" Markstrom is ridiculous though. Markstrom would've been an ideal backup behind a strong, established veteran...you know, someone like Roberto Luongo. Now he's in a situation that's no better than what he had in Florida, only now he'll be the backup to his old backup. Still, give me Markstrom over a 2nd round pick, and Shawn Matthias over Ben Scrivens.

As far as the whole situation goes, trading Schneider obviously looks monumentally stupid now, but the one fact to take solace in is that goaltending across the league has never been more saturated than it is right now, and we saw proof of that in multiple trades today. If the Oilers can go from only Devan Dubnyk in the offseason to a pretty solid tandem of Fasth and Scrivens in a short period of time, then we should be okay. If Markstrom does falter as the backup, go trade a 3rd for James Reimer. Or take Halak from Buffalo. Maybe Lindback from Tampa for yet another Swede. Neuvirth from Washington. Every one of those guys could play as a backup in this league or as a 1B behind Lack.

The real wildcard here is still Bo Horvat. People complained during the Schneider trade that we got nothing of immediate substance back. Now, we have many of the same people complaining that Matthias doesn't have enough upside to justify trading Luongo for. As long as Horvat doesn't only top out as a Shawn Matthias, then I think the return for Lu + Schneids together isn't as bad.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
It's alright guys Leafs had John Ferguson Junior and only missed the playoffs for like 8 straight years because of bad deals you guys will be out of it soon

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
well at least goaltending cap hit will really low...it obvious that elite goalies are not needed anymore as any good goalie can win with solid d and offense....look at crawford he do not scream elite

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
it went from "haha 7uongo, canucks are a joke" to "poor luongo, canucks are a joke" in just a couple of seasons

Zero surprise. In a season Luongo went from an anchor no one would take for free, to an elite, franchise goaltender. Meanwhile Markstrom went from the best goaltending prospect on the planet to a lost cause. People haaaate Vancouver.

Dugray

No Gifs This Time
Nov 22, 2006
Longueuil
To recap Gillis has traded the following assets :

Hodgson
Luongo
Schneider

and has received

Kassian
Horvat
Matthias
Markstrom

And this is the man were hoping to fast track a rebuild successfully by trading Edler and Kesler?

... We're ****ed.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I actually think the return for Luongo was very good. Better then the Tor deal that almost went down last year (per. dreger - Scrivens + 2nd + 1mill salary retention) so all in all this is a very good trade.

The only downfall is it's a year to late, and at the expense of Schneider.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is bittersweet. Luongo remains a good #1 goalie with a manageable cap hit and I don't see the Canucks improving in net with Schneider gone. Then again, it's not like the Canucks are going anywhere with Luongo in net, so it might be worth a shot to spend less in net and use the cap savings to improve the team in other areas.

John Bender*

Good riddance to a guy who essentially handcuffed this team from making any type of trade until he got his ultimate wish.

Yeah, you are so right. It went from "that contract makes him completely untradeable" to "oh my god, why did they not get more for this player! They got fleeced!"

Terrible. Getting anything for Luongo is a win.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I actually think the return for Luongo was very good. Better then the Tor deal that almost went down last year (per. dreger - Scrivens + 2nd + 1mill salary retention) so all in all this is a very good trade.

The only downfall is it's a year to late, and at the expense of Schneider.

Horvat is a fair piece.

In the overall picure, I rather have: Lack + Horvat than Schneider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad