Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Luongo, Anthony for Matthias, Markstrom - Pt. 2

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Only real complaint I have with this deal is we didn't get a draft pick back. Would have liked to get even a 5th rounder, just to have that extra lottery pick. All things considered though, pretty happy with the deal.

As long as Lack/Markstrom/Eriksson + Horvat turn out, then hindsight will be in Gillis's favour. With Luongo's locale demands and contract, Gillis probably did as well as could be expected, the optics notwithstanding.

Happy Luongo ended up in Florida. He could have made things easier on himself a long time ago, but I felt he handled a tough situation with class for the most part. Wish him well and hope he has enough passion for the game to keep playing for a really long time.

So glad this thing if finally over, and while I was a huge Schneider fan, Horvat+Lack/Markstrom+Matthias >> Schneider (potentially).

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
When I was online when the trade went down, I was honestly shocked out of my skull that they got Matthias. I was even mildly surprised when it was reported first as just Markstrom. I thought it would have been a 5th round pick or something.

I agree - getting 2 players, not any game breakers but some decent bodies, plus cap relief was better than I thought.
Then I remembered hearing about what we got for Schnieder and how that 1st round pick seemed very inadequate, as the "goalie situation" created by Gillis was suppose to provide immediate help. Underwhelmed to say the least. This is still not a wash. I need to hear someone's head roll for this 2 year long destructive dance. But that's just me. Continue on being happy...

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Excellent. Just wish there were more top class UFAs around this summer.

Makes the Kesler and Edler-situations even more interesting. Will we leave "holes" in our roster looking to fill them with UFAs later? We can certainly afford that now from a cap perspective.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Excellent. Just wish there were more top class UFAs around this summer.

Makes the Kesler and Edler-situations even more interesting. Will we leave "holes" in our roster looking to fill them with UFAs later? We can certainly afford that now from a cap perspective.

I don't think UFA is the best way to improve the team as most would just overpaid...we really have a lot of cap room now so some of it would be kept for prospect fighting for a spot while some to re-sign santorelli, Tanev, Diaz, to new contract.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
There was a consensus on this board that adding Matthias for a 3rd rounder would be good a few months ago. Gotta figure that Markstrom's value is close to a 4th at this point.

People considered Luongo as an immovable object and an option for a buyout.

Getting a 3rd + 4th + saving 40 million is a great move considering. Ideally, he'd still be our starter without being torn to shreds by this irrational fan base, but oh well. This is a unique situation.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
There was a consensus on this board that adding Matthias for a 3rd rounder would be good a few months ago. Gotta figure that Markstrom's value is close to a 4th at this point.

Getting a 3rd + 4th + saving 40 million is a great move considering. Ideally, he'd still be our starter without being torn to shreds by this irrational fan base, but oh well. This is a unique situation.

Markstrom is worth more than a 4th. He is that same status of prospect as Jensen. Was a good prospect, but had a **** year. He is not even a full season removed from being considered a AAA prospect.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, it's finally all over. And OVER over, not just over until the next goalie plays well in Vancouver over.

Thoughts:

++ We got out from under Lu's contract with only 15% retained. I can live with that.
++ We got actual players back.
++ We can buyout that useless tit Booth instead of Luongo.
++ Lu gets to head back to Florida and hang with his family.
+ Salary cap totals go down.

-- WHERE THE **** WAS THIS DEAL THIS TIME LAST YEAR?!
-- Schneider would look really good here.
-- In 8 months we went from a Lu/Schneider tandem to a Lack/Markstrom tandem.
-- Hell of a way for Lu to go out. Benched for the out(in)door game, gone soon after.
-- After all the drama and hand-wringing, THIS is the final ending?

+/- y2k now has to find something else for his entire online life to be about.

Direct anger at MG.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Markstrom is worth more than a 4th. He is that same status of prospect as Jensen. Was a good prospect, but had a **** year. He is not even a full season removed from being considered a AAA prospect.

There is always going to be risk with getting prospects back. I guess we can say if there is one thing this organization is good at, it's developing goalies.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
There is always going to be risk with getting prospects back. I guess we can say if there is one thing this organization is good at, it's developing goalies.

Can't have high rewards without high risk.

Ekblad

Mar 10, 2010
Miami, Florida

Markström looses must pass through waivers next season, so the plan better be to keep him as a backup to läck.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
What is with Gillis and big guys who don't think the game well?

Bernier had the size but completely lacked hockey sense ended up working his was down to being a lazy 4th line banger.

Booth, complete idiot on the ice.

Matthias, apparently he has the size but cant think the game.

Give me hockey sense and skill over ''omg sizes''

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I don't think UFA is the best way to improve the team as most would just overpaid...we really have a lot of cap room now so some of it would be kept for prospect fighting for a spot while some to re-sign santorelli, Tanev, Diaz, to new contract.

Santorelli, Tanev and Diaz won't cost us that many millions (should add Kassian as well).

Even after they are all sign up we should have quite a few million left. Even more so if we let Booth go (which we should).

I haven't looked at it in detail, but if Kesler and Edler are both leaving we could very well end up with 10m available even after having signed up the mentioned players. Would be odd not to spend some of it. Vanek on a 3 year deal or something like that would have been nice.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
You have to feel a bit for Schnieder. He should have been the de facto #1 with no obstacles from the start of last season.

Worst part for him is getting traded to the team with Brodeur in net, IMO.

Although, guess who has been saying he'd accept a trade to any team that would play him as a starter... HAHA

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

The fan base didn't tear him to shreds... he lost his job, then got it back... then the situation came to move him where he wanted and the team has no chance this season so they moved him.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The upside is obvious, some cap space and two players. That's really not too bad, especially if Gillis knows he is getting a shedload for Kesler.

Lack shouldn't be "hung out to dry" according to Kypreos. He thinks adding a veteran back-up is the way to go. The Canucks didn't ask for Thomas or accept Clemmenson, so I doubt they add somebody, now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad