Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Luongo, Anthony for Matthias, Markstrom - Pt. 2

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Luongo has value in Florida selling tickets though.

Go check their fan forum here and it's almost all euphoria in the trade thread. A LOT of the old Panther fans left when Luongo left (to hear the stories).

Luongo means, to that fanbase, they are getting serious again.

Both teams goaltending got better when Luongo left here and went there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Very happy for Luongo, he finally escapes the circus that is the Canucks.

At he wasn't forced to piss away the back part of his career in Calgary, playing on a god awful Calgary team going nowhere like Kipper was. Damn that must have been depressing, what a gong show that was. Guy topped his career rather than carry on with the futility.

Last edited:

Bobs your uncle

Sep 18, 2003
Canada
At he wasn't forced to piss away the back part of his career in Calgary, playing on a god awful Calgary team going nowhere like Kipper was. Damn that must have been depressing, what a gong show that was. Guy topped his career rather than carry on with the futility.

I'm not sure which team is worse right now, the Flames or the Canucks.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
IMO the trade just looks bad bc both Schneider and luongo ended up gone. I said back in July, you got good value for Schneider with horvat...he'll be great you.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm very excited to see how Markstrom progresses with an organization that has been producing goalies out the ass.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'm very excited to see how Markstrom progresses with an organization that has been producing goalies out the ass.

Pierre Mcguire called it lerceny that we were able to get both Markstrom and Matthias for a 35yr old Lu and his albatross of a contract. I tend to agree. Had any of us suggested this trade on the main board last summer we'd likely have been laughed out of the thread. Markstrom is only 24 and still lots of time to develop. He isn't set in stone yet, not by a mile.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Like this deal even if we have to eat 800k/year for the rest of Luongo's contract. Markstrom is/was an elite prospect that just happened to develop some bad habits on a defensively bad team. Given how well our development has been, he should get back on track here. His upside is probably better than any goalie we had here including Cory/Luo... question is rather or not we can get him back on track. Given Lack has been solid, it should give Markstrom a lot of time to correct all the bad habits he developed.

Luongo should sell tickets for Florida and realistic he's better in a system that is bad defensively. Unlike Lack/Cory, Luongo seems to need shots to play well. That won't be a problem in Florida and he'll steal games for them. On top of that, lets be honest, his heart wasn't here and hasn't been here for a while so its time to move on. When we moved Cory and then resigned Lack... i had a feeling that if Lack played well enough (given whatever chances he got), Luongo could be moved (or Lack would be next year before the final year of his deal). Looks like this time its Luongo.

The next question probably is who stays/who goes 1-2 years from now if Markstrom rediscovers his game and Lack continues to develop.

Getting Matthias also seems to be a sign that we'll likely be trading away at least 1 center (i.e. Kesler and likely more). He'll help our bottom 6 and maybe even be given 2nd line minutes. Hard worker who's entering his prime. Given our roster situation (lots of bottom 6 players, not many scorers), his additional likely foreshadows quite a few more moves within the next 13 hours (i.e. Richardson).

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, it's finally all over. And OVER over, not just over until the next goalie plays well in Vancouver over.

Thoughts:

++ We got out from under Lu's contract with only 15% retained. I can live with that.
++ We got actual players back.
++ We can buyout that useless tit Booth instead of Luongo.
++ Lu gets to head back to Florida and hang with his family.
+ Salary cap totals go down.

-- WHERE THE **** WAS THIS DEAL THIS TIME LAST YEAR?!
-- Schneider would look really good here.
-- In 8 months we went from a Lu/Schneider tandem to a Lack/Markstrom tandem.
-- Hell of a way for Lu to go out. Benched for the out(in)door game, gone soon after.
-- After all the drama and hand-wringing, THIS is the final ending?

+/- y2k now has to find something else for his entire online life to be about.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
22 months of the luongo saga. Finally over. Guy doesnt derserved to be treated the way hes being portayed by the media. So basically the deal was schiender/luongo for horvat,markstrom+matthias

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Well, it's finally all over. And OVER over, not just over until the next goalie plays well in Vancouver over.

Thoughts:

++ We got out from under Lu's contract with only 15% retained. I can live with that.
++ We got actual players back.
++ We can buyout that useless tit Booth instead of Luongo.
++ Lu gets to head back to Florida and hang with his family.
+ Salary cap totals go down.

-- WHERE THE **** WAS THIS DEAL THIS TIME LAST YEAR?!
-- Schneider would look really good here.
-- In 8 months we went from a Lu/Schneider tandem to a Lack/Markstrom tandem.
-- Hell of a way for Lu to go out. Benched for the out(in)door game, gone soon after.
-- After all the drama and hand-wringing, THIS is the final ending?

+/- y2k now has to find something else for his entire online life to be about.

I read somewhere it has to do with the owner financial situation for Panthers so they were not able to get Luongo at all.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
^ FWIW I think Lack is a great goalie who might even be better than Schneider (crucify me, I know).

I can't believe this is the way it happened. But I'm so glad this circus is over and Luo is back where he belongs.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
22 months of the luongo saga. Finally over. Guy doesnt derserved to be treated the way hes being portayed by the media. So basically the deal was schiender/luongo for horvat,markstrom+matthias

No. The deals are separate. Schneider for Horvat and Luongo for Markstrom + Matthias. You can doll it up though, if you'd like to be more depressed.

Still a **** way of dealing with this though. Like I've said, this deal should have happened 22 months ago.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Pierre Mcguire called it lerceny that we were able to get both Markstrom and Matthias for a 35yr old Lu and his albatross of a contract. I tend to agree. Had any of us suggested this trade on the main board last summer we'd likely have been laughed out of the thread. Markstrom is only 24 and still lots of time to develop. He isn't set in stone yet, not by a mile.

I remember being flamed for having Markstrom in a luongo proposal last year. now suddenly it;s a bad deal for the Canucks... only on HF.

John Bender*

When I was online when the trade went down, I was honestly shocked out of my skull that they got Matthias. I was even mildly surprised when it was reported first as just Markstrom. I thought it would have been a 5th round pick or something.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I remember being flamed for having Markstrom in a luongo proposal last year. now suddenly it;s a bad deal for the Canucks... only on HF.

When I was online when the trade went down, I was honestly shocked out of my skull that they got Matthias. I was even mildly surprised when it was reported first as just Markstrom. I thought it would have been a 5th round pick or something.

I know. Even the so called insiders on TV were saying just a few months ago that LU was likely a buyout candidate. Now suddenly Vancouver didn't get nearly enough. Fing joke if you ask me. I guess we shouldn't be surprised by the responses we see, The Canucks have been chewing up and spitting out the majority of the NHL for the past 8 years, That's a long time to gain hateful people.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Obviously as a outsider my opinion might not mean too much, but listening to the call in radio shows yesterday--I think some canuck fans do not realize how bad Luongo's contracts was to move and the fact the goalie who you got back should be a very good goalie in a very short time. For those saying Gillis did not get enough, the recapture part of the contract is the big question mark.

If the Canucks could have gotten more for Luongo the trade would have happened awhile ago.

There were rumblings that the oilers had a trade on the table for Luongo or Schneider at this past draft-- Canucks asked for 2013 first and second rounder and either Klefbom or Marincin ( reported on a few Edmonton radio shows yesterday).

Canucks got what they could get for Luongo and I think Canuck fans need to realize this trade will settle down the room, I think we can all admit that having this over the dressing rooms head for nearly 2 years had to affect the players.

The goalie you got will be a good one and the trade ends the soap opera that was going on double plus in my mind for the canucks

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I've sure found that the opinions out on the streets are a lot different than the ones on HF. Outside of HF, a majority are screaming for Gillis' head because they can't grasp how Luongo's contract handicapped any sort of good value the Canucks could've got in a trade. On HF, posters are just happy we got anything of value back because of Luongo's albatross contract.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I've sure found that the opinions out on the streets are a lot different than the ones on HF. Outside of HF, a majority are screaming for Gillis' head because they can't grasp how Luongo's contract handicapped any sort of good value the Canucks could've got in a trade. On HF, posters are just happy we got anything of value back because of Luongo's albatross contract.

Because on the street people aren't bogged down by the groupthink that led many here to believe that Luongo is an overpaid bad goalie.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity

I guess they don't understand that it is harder to trade long-term contract that has 8 years remaining........if it was 2 or 3 years, we would get way more

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
No. The deals are separate. Schneider for Horvat and Luongo for Markstrom + Matthias. You can doll it up though, if you'd like to be more depressed.

Still a **** way of dealing with this though. Like I've said, this deal should have happened 22 months ago.

I know there seperate wanted to make it more dramatic te way it is

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
People act like Schneider + Luongo for Horvat + Markstrom + Matthias is a bad thing...

Allow me to translate:

OUT:
Schneider
Albatross Contract (retain 15%)

IN:
AAA Center prospect
AAA Goalie prospect (only one year removed. I firmly believe Melanson will get him back on track)
Big, young, 3rd line 3C with potential.
An entire treasury worth of Cap Space.

This is basically what we want out of a Kesler deal, and we got it for a goalie (which typically have less value) and a cap dump.

We still have 3 good goalies in the system.

Wizardry. I have been pretty down on Gillis in recent times... but this is absolute wizardry.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I'm not sure which team is worse right now, the Flames or the Canucks.

At least the Canucks didn't put Luongo through years of missing the playoffs. Groundhog day Flames vs Canucks trading Lu at the first sign of missing the playoffs, he didn't even have to miss them - considerate.

As for which team is worse, I'd say the Flames on paper and the Canucks on current form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad