Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th ~ PT2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Why would you assume the canucks will hit some previous number of fights, and that someone has to step in to make up the difference? Different personal leads to different results.

Because fighting is clearly something this management and/or coaching staff values. They've all said so at one point or another from Linden to Benning to Desjardins. Beyond their words, they brought in Prust to supplement Dorsett's fighting. Prust is gone. Fill in the blanks.

Of course different personnel means different results so the Canucks could surprise and be on the low end of the league average if they don't replace Prust and Gudbranson is actually allowed to play hockey. But given comments about how the Canucks lost the Calgary playoff series because their fans were louder from Ferland rattling the boards and ours had nothing to cheer about...I'm guessing they won't settle for one staged fight every 7 or 8 games.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Actually you're right! I absolutely agree. Looks like I've come to my senses guys!

Who cares about Corsi and Zone exits and puck possession? We need a guy who can block shots and hit people! Who cares that it means the other team has possession of the puck in our zone? We don't win hockey games by getting puck possession, taking it out of our zone, and entering the opposing team's zone. No. We win hockey games by blocking shots, hitting people, intimidating, winning scrums, and ripping the puck!

:sarcasm:

Live by the corsi, die by the corsi huh?

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
BAM!

I would also say to the corsi guys out there, probably the best corsi team of all time would be the Russians in the 70's. It can tell you a lot about the game but those kind of stats based approaches can't explain why Canada won the Summit Series or why the Bruins beat us in '11. Emotion, confidence, team toughness, hard work, competitiveness, heart, the willingness to break the odd ankle to win or stick some fingers in a guys mouth and claim a guy bit you... the so called intangibles will trump skilled 'possession play' hockey every time, especially in the playoffs.

I don't think shot attempts are recorded anywhere, but Canada outshot the Soviets in 6 of the 8 Summit Series games.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This trade is garbage IMO.

The Panthers are laughing all the way to the bank. With Petrovic and Matheson they wont miss him at all. Except in the odd scrum.

Reasons
1. Bad timing. With free agency and teams needing to clear roster cap space its entirely likely a bargain could have come available before the end of summer. Eg Ehrhoff Franson Garrison.

2. Cost. Overpayment IMO. You know its bad when the GM is quoted admitting it before the ink is dry. McCann is going to be a fast 2 way 30 goal scorer with great compete and the 2nd rounder is 3 picks higher than the player that just made Gudbranson expendable in Alex Petrovic. Considering where this team is at its just mind numbing.

3 Failure to assess biggest organizational needs. Instead of showing patience with our talented youth. Just like the Shinkaruk trade we decide to patchwork renovate a 28th place team. Its beyond delusional. A 29th place offense about to lose a season removed 30 goal scorer in Vrbata and now Shink and McCann? Plus Burr and Higgins on the outs. Who the hell is going to score goals?

4. Player valuation. Just surrendered 3.5-5 million in cap space to a offensive black hole that was 136th in the league in takeaways. I like Gudbranson were supremely lacking in size and snarl that can play 20 minutes a night making players pay a price and hes a righty but we just payed with 2 excellent youngsters 1 a surefire NHLer that can snipe so that we have 3.5 million less to spend this offseason. Its beyond stupid to think that 2 expansion drafts plus a couple more UFA offseasons wouldnt produce some excellent alternatives for next to nothing. Gudbranson is a 3rd overall.....who cares? Rathje Barker Schenn Bogosian Reinhart just off top of my head come to mind. And isnt local guy Karl Alzner a UFA next summer? So while smart teams free up cap space and load up on draft picks we become buyers for the Sedins and Millers reno.....WTF!

5. What the hell happened to the self proclaimed direction of drafting and developing? Its sad...analysts are saying well its pretty obvious the Canucks are in rebuild mode now but our delusional GM thinks its time to tweak his lineup for contention.

We are going to regret this trade for years to come....just a terrible move IMO.

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
This trade is garbage IMO.

The Panthers are laughing all the way to the bank. With Petrovic and Matheson they wont miss him at all. Except in the odd scrum.

Reasons
1. Bad timing. With free agency and teams needing to clear roster cap space its entirely likely a bargain could have come available before the end of summer. Eg Ehrhoff Franson Garrison.

2. Cost. Overpayment IMO. You know its bad when the GM is quoted admitting it before the ink is dry. McCann is going to be a fast 2 way 30 goal scorer with great compete and the 2nd rounder is 3 picks higher than the player that just made Gudbranson expendable in Alex Petrovic. Considering where this team is at its just mind numbing.

3 Failure to assess biggest organizational needs. Instead of showing patience with our talented youth. Just like the Shinkaruk trade we decide to patchwork renovate a 28th place team. Its beyond delusional. A 29th place offense about to lose a season removed 30 goal scorer in Vrbata and now Shink and McCann? Plus Burr and Higgins on the outs. Who the hell is going to score goals?

4. Player valuation. Just surrendered 3.5-5 million in cap space to a offensive black hole that was 136th in the league in takeaways. I like Gudbranson were supremely lacking in size and snarl that can play 20 minutes a night making players pay a price and hes a righty but we just payed with 2 excellent youngsters 1 a surefire NHLer that can snipe so that we have 3.5 million less to spend this offseason. Its beyond stupid to think that 2 expansion drafts plus a couple more UFA offseasons wouldnt produce some excellent alternatives for next to nothing. Gudbranson is a 3rd overall.....who cares? Rathje Barker Schenn Bogosian Reinhart just off top of my head come to mind. And isnt local guy Karl Alzner a UFA next summer?

We are going to regret this trade for years to come....just a terrible move IMO.

By the time Benning's done we'll probably have a full notebook of trades that'll become intensely regrettable for years if not decades to come.

But hey, let's celebrate by having a plate full of meat and potatoes~.
Steak-Dinner.jpg

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
An illuminating post from the Panthers board:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I hope they weren't trading Gudbranson because they think Petro can take his place.
Petro had 2 huge goals in the playoffs, outside of that his offense is nothing. He holds the puck too long, he's the antithesis of a good first pass. Hold the puck too long, turn it over. Hold the puck too long, and the pass misses once you do pass it because the window you had to pass it closed. Where as Gudbranson made a good first pass regularly. Petro's defense is atrocious, I mean, I'd rather have Olsen in there. I don't know what everyone is seeing. He was terrible.....outside of those 2 goals. Now all of a sudden he's a keeper. And people talk about Gudbranson, who wasn't bad by any stretch, like he's dirt. Tavares did nothing against the "terrilble" Gudbranson and his partner Kulikov in the playoffs, and then went nuts against Petro and Campbell. I mean, WTF?!?!
Petro had 4 years to develop his game in the AHL, and he's still not that great. I don't see what people are seeing that says he should be replacing anyone in our top six, much less Gudbranson. And like has been mentioned, Gudbranson after that first season was thrown into a dumpster fire, there was no structure, the exact opposite method of developing you prospects. It was total chaos on ice.
See, this is all about draft position, Gudbranson is valuable young defenseman to have. But you know, he was drafted #3 overall by the Panthers, and should be blamed for all of their franchises woes. It has little to do with his actual play.

58b60830d26ef5b1f63fd4edb732fe5c220cba41465f207836d5bf861c5ece40.jpg

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Tavares had 8 points that series :laugh:

He could be right it was only against another pairing but I doubt that

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Gudbranson doesn't "suck" at anything really. He's not elite or top-pairing obviously, but saying he "sucks" seems to indicate you think he's Bartkowski or something. You appear to have gotten overly emotional and lost the plot.

You are surprised he has "lost the plot"? This has been going on for a bit now, cracks are forming in the foundation.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Fun fact: Jake Virtanen Cody Hodgson and Radim Vrbata each had a better corsi than Patrice Bergeron and Sidney Crosby

Yeah? People already know this

It's Crosbys unique ability to score off his chances that make him so special

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I don't think this trade make sense for florida either, 3.5 million dollars is not that high for Erik, giving him up for McCann (whom is not ready for the nhl), and serveral picks is not going to help them win the cup. Luongo is not getting any younger, they should try their best to stay competitive while he is there.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
By the time Benning's done we'll probably have a full notebook of trades that'll become intensely regrettable for years if not decades to come.

Steak-Dinner.jpg

Benning's new nicknames is Vitamins. Jim "Vitamins" Benning.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
He only handled the puck once in that entire highlight package

Maybe they should add some more clips of where he does? You do know that high light packages are made by people....not the end all be all of stats.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Maybe they should add some more clips of where he does? You do know that high light packages are made by people....not the end all be all of stats.

Where did I claim that highlight packages are "the end all be all of stats"

I'll wait

All I was doing was commenting on an extremely disappointing video.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Florida better hope McCann turns into the "30 goal scoring 2 way Center" the guy describes above, or that they hit a home run in the 2nd round, or they'll come away with little after trading a good player when they are trying to compete.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Steak-Dinner.jpg

Still funny when people clearly have no idea what "meat and potatoes" means, even when it's a trade involving the guy associated with it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Jimson I feel as if even you aren't too happy with this trade. you've stuck to the Benning is an elite drafter who will build through the draft mindset.

He washed that away at the deadline and is continuing to do that.

I'm a fan of Gudbranson and don't think his underlying numbers reflect his performance. I think he's a good minute eater, but this is too much.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Just giving my 2 cents about this trade. I feel like benning has a huge problem, he favors high floor players rather than high ceiling ones. That's problematic because it drags the whole team down and i feel like the potential coming with all these "middle of the pack" players is quite low. maybe he is trying to limit the risk (boom vs bust potential) but i also think that the reward is minimal with the majority of the players he traded for (Gudbranson included)

Btw, no team, trying to compete (Florida) would trade a Defensive cornerstone if he wasn't flawed (always ask yourself why these players are available in first place)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Florida better hope McCann turns into the "30 goal scoring 2 way Center" the guy describes above, or that they hit a home run in the 2nd round, or they'll come away with little after trading a good player when they are trying to compete.
Why? They freed up 3.5 million immediately and probably 4.5 -5 million long term that they can use effectively elsewhere and Matheson and Petrovic will replace him without a step back at all.

It would have been like us trading a depth position like C ...
Sutter for Matheson the 33rd and a 4th. We could insert McCann and Granlund at 3C have 4.4 million to spend on a defenseman or goal scorer in free agency and stay the fricken course on a so called plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad