Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KDizzle

Aug 25, 2005
Bay Area
So instead of trading our pending UFAs for picks and stocking up this draft with a top 5 pick, 33rd overall and at worst, two additional 2nd round picks (One from dealing Hamhuis, and the one we acquired for Bieksa), we now have 5th overall, a 3rd round pick, a 5th round pick (only the one from Florida as ours got thrown in to dump Kass), a 6th, and 2 7ths.

Of course that Hamhuis deal could have netted another 1st but those are not the luxuries we are afforded in having the worst GM in the league.

Fun times.

And if anybody says, "But what are the chances those draft picks will turn into NHL players" in defense of Benning, you're no longer allowed to say, "But Benning is an amazing drafter!". If Benning were so amazing as his apologists would claim, why wouldn't he stock up knowing he can get some real impact players for this team?

Instead he's still delusional and trying to aim for a playoff run next year. In the process, he's setting us back many more years to come.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Trade pretty much confirms that the present regime is looking at very limited rebuild process. Think you can put this trade in the category of filling the age gap deficit that prompted the Glendening acquisition.

Think there can be serious criticism of McCann's handling. He wasn't NHL ready and should have gone back to Junior. Might have gotten a much better perspective of his long term potential. Putting him a situation where he couldn't really compete in any sustained way, prevented the team from getting an accurate projection of his upside.

In my view view, McCann does have top 6 potential.

Also, I've never been sold on Gudbranson. His development has been slow. Looked better this year but still his mobility is questionable. Shows up in his net coverage and general reaction to play around his net. He is simply not very quick. His skating cannot be described as anything but average. Think he will be decent on the PK, but don't know that he suits the pinching style Desjardins likes to use.

You like the possible abrasive nature and leadership he can add to the Canuck back end but don't expect much offense.

I guess you could justify the trade in terms of knowing that you are trading potential
(sort of nebulous thing) for a more known commodity but this trade could look very bad down the road if you just consider the principals involved.

Far as the draft choices go, I think it easy to over-value second rounders. In this draft I think once you get past the 16 or so range you are into a lot speculation. I would hope the Canucks have done their homework and recognize that there is very little sure fire in the latter part of the first round or early in the second. Often these players have been vetted thoroughly and holes have been found in their games. For example, a player like Benson (who will likely go in the first) has some major question marks about his game. In some ways you may be more likely to find some gem in the later rounds since they might have not been so closely scrutinized as late first round/early second rounders have.

Yet, there is the possibility that someone could fall (like Demko did). Also, could make the case that a high second is a marketable asset that might have been better used than it was here.

You can see some logic to the trade. The Canucks are trading from a position of relative strength (young centers - especially if DeBlois is picked up) for a need on defense. But you always get the feeling that it is Benning who is pursuing a trade and this puts him at a disadvantage. Seems like he feels he must make a trade and this puts him in a position were he can be fleeced. Got to hope he hasn't happened here.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Or contracts.

Also......this should basically spell the end of the Dan Hamhuis era. I suspect he ends up in Edmonton.

yup goodbye hammer. he served with the nucks well. since 2010. steady veteran dman. he'll sign a short term deal for longer money i guess. his body is about to break down due to many injuries.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
"But what are the chances those draft picks will turn into NHL players" in defense of Benning,
you're no longer allowed to say, "But Benning is an amazing drafter!".

If Benning were so amazing as his apologists would claim,
why wouldn't he stock up knowing he can get some real impact players for this team?

Instead he's still delusional and trying to aim for a playoff run next year. In the process, he's setting us back many more years to come.

All you need really is one or two NHLers per draft year, I think JB can pull that off even with dealing that 2nd.

Well San Jose proved you can rebuild on the fly, and that is exactly what we are doing.
Florida just did all the dirty work drafting/developing Gudbranson, and now he starts his prime years here with the Canucks.

He's only 24, he's another young leader to add to this team, and he allows the team to bring along the young puck rushers' more comfortably.

Miller and Markstrom will love this guy helping out in front of them.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The Vancouver canucks virtually have 0 offense from the blue line. For a team that can't score... Hutton and Edler might be the only ones to get over 20 points and it's possible that neither get 30.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
All you need really is one or two NHLers per draft year, I think JB can pull that off even with dealing that 2nd.

Well San Jose proved you can rebuild on the fly, and that is exactly what we are doing.
Florida just did all the dirty work drafting/developing Gudbranson, and now he starts his prime years here with the Canucks.

He's only 24, he's another young leader to add to this team, and he allows the team to bring along the young puck rushers' more comfortably.

San jose has Brent Burns who had 75 points this season. 75! Vlasic had 39 and may be the best advanced stats defenseman in the entire league.

I fully expect to hear the sanjose comparison from Linden in the near future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
The Vancouver canucks virtually have 0 offense from the blue line. For a team that can't score... Hutton and Edler might be the only ones to get over 20 points and it's possible that neither get 30.

As I pointed out throughout last season, team record-low goals by D is 18. If Edler gets hurt, that record is pretty much a lock to be broken in 16-17.

Benning and his talentless plugs, Jesus.

And of course everyone who was saying the writing was on the wall for McCann were completely correct, and will get no acknowledgement here.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
What's even worse about this deal is Gudbranson is a UFA after this upcoming season. If we have another horrible year what's going to stop him from testing out FA espically with him coming from a playoff team. Could you imagine he bolts after next season lol.

Also if Gudbranson gets this return why the hell aren't we trading Edler?

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
What's even worse about this deal is Gudbranson is a UFA after this upcoming season. If we have another horrible year what's going to stop him from testing out FA espically with him coming from a playoff team. Could you imagine he bolts after next season lol.

Guarantee old Jimbo already has a 6X6 waiting for him when he steps off the plane.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=118683821&postcount=112

Can tell you that management is very happy with this deal...they feel it's a home run.

Just from scanning through the thread, seems like this poster has a bit of a track record as being an insider with Florida management. Classic.

After taking some time to think about it, this deal isn't Benning's worst because I actually don't think McCann pans out to be much better than a Sam Gagner type (although that could easily be a very foolish prediction because he has upside) whereas Gudbranson could be a good fit with Hutton. One for one, it's not a bad deal and I see where the thought process is with the deal, unlike Shink/Granlund. But the picks really do push things over the edge. It's just unfathomable. Now even the ****ing draft won't be exciting to vaguely follow because it's Tkachuk/Dubois and then we have our third back from Pittsburgh, the Panthers fifth (since the Habs have the Canucks one from the Prust trade...), a sixth and two 7ths (one from Lack).

Edit:
Guarantee old Jimbo already has a 6X6 waiting for him when he steps off the plane.

Retroactive NMC included.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Another horrible trade by Benning. I may have done McCann for Gudbranson straight up - maybe. But adding the 33rd overall pick is insane. Benning should have hung up and thrown the phone away.

GMs across the league probably have Benning on speed dial lol.

Oh, and yes, Gudbranson was a former 3rd overall, but in a 2010 re-draft he would drop big time...

:shakehead:cry::(

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
what's even worse about this deal is gudbranson is a ufa after this upcoming season. If we have another horrible year what's going to stop him from testing out fa espically with him coming from a playoff team. Could you imagine he bolts after next season lol.

Also if gudbranson gets this return why the hell aren't we trading edler?

rfa..

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
We had horrible defense and offense from the blueline, now we got elder/tanev/huts some much needed help with Gudbranson.
I think we'll see Hutton/Stecher see a lot of offensive minutes and maybe even Larson, & now I'm more comfy seeing what little Subban can do in the future here.

San jose has Brent Burns who had 75 points this season. 75! Vlasic had 39 and may be the best advanced stats defenseman in the entire league.

i knew you jackasses would pull this **** out. I fully expect to hear the sanjose comparison from Linden in the near future.
Yeah San Jose revamped their entire defense pretty much, and that's exactly what we are doing here, our defense fell to pieces the last 2, 3 years. Gudbranson will help the team entirely just with his size and skillset.

Gudbranson is RFA after this upcoming season, then we'll sign him long term for all of his prime years.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA

that makes about as much sense as the boarder around here that used to argue that it was an advantage for the canucks to hold less picks because that would force benning to really focus on drafting good prospects

proper rebuilding teams like toronto and carolina have amassed a surplus of picks in the first three rounds, meanwhile the canucks will only hold two picks in the first four rounds, and even then they only re-acquired their third round pick (originally given to the islanders for pedan) in the bonino trade

:shakehead

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Good brad's son is a regular in the NHL. McCann likely has a future but not for sure. Underaged this year, but wasn't good or strong enough to play every game. The more I think about this, the Canucks had to add to make this trade. I think the drafts picks exchanged slightly give the edge to Fla but not by much.

Also, EG is at the age where he may break out shortly and be the number one D man we have coveted, or may stagnate. Certainly Mr Benning overpaid for Sbisa, and he is not turning heads the longer he is around. Brings JB valuation skills into question.

If we get PLD this trade makes more sense.

I think if it had been a 3rd 4th going and a 5th coming back this would have been much more palatable.

Edit - oh and the salary implications and cap space is not good either ....

Last edited:

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I have a feeling JB is going to try to get the 2nd back and I shutter to think of what he'll do...

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

You think San Jose validates our "rebuild on the fly" strategy?

Question: What is the age difference between San Jose's "original core" (Thornton, Marleau) and their "next wave" (Pavelski, Burns, Couture, Vlasic)?

Answer: Between 6 years (Pavelski, Burns) and 10 years (Couture).

Want to know how many years between our "original core" (Sedins) and our "next wave" (Horvat, Hutton, Virtanen, etc)?

Try between 13 years (Hutton) and 15 years (Virtanen). Notice the key difference? The Sharks gap is less than half our gap between cores. This allows their original core to be still young enough to be effective players while their second wave of guys are in their prime and able to carry the load.

Us? By the time Horvat, Virtanen, Boeser, Demko etc reach their primes (24-28) the Sedins will be long since retired or moved on, along with Burrows, Hamhuis, Miller, and Hansen. At that point we aren't "re-tooling", we are starting from scratch all over again, except this time it will be without a pair of Top 3 picks anchoring things.

Stupid plan with stupid execution. Buckle up Van fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad