Confirmed with Link: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I don't see a consistent top 6 player in McCann. He just seems naturally skinny, and his game is not really complete. I think he's got some good tools like a shot, speed, and good hands, but not a ton of composure or poise with the puck. Nor, the ability to cycle well. I like Gudbranson, he played shutdown minutes for Florida beside Willie Mitchell and they were a good duo. He's not some pylon people make him out to be, he's big, smart, physical, aware defensively, and he can make a first pass out of the zone.

We still need that offence from the back-end. Gudbranson also fits the age group (20-27) that Benning wants.

The picks are tough to swallow though. I'll give Benning a chance with the trade since there's still a month until draft day.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Would have been okay with a McCann for Gudbrandson swap. Why the hell did we throw in extra picks ffs

of course we would have been happy with McCann straight up for Gudbranson. a trade like this is so lop sided, considering the value of a top 4 defencemen right now, holds more much more value then a second line centremen, not to mention one that is not even ready to play in the NHL.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
I don't see a consistent top 6 player in McCann. He just seems naturally skinny, and his game is not really complete. I think he's got some good tools like a shot, speed, and good hands, but not a ton of composure or poise with the puck. Nor, the ability to cycle well. I like Gudbranson, he played shutdown minutes for Florida beside Willie Mitchell and they were a good duo. He's not some pylon people make him out to be, he's big, smart, physical, aware defensively, and he can make a first pass out of the zone.

We still need that offence from the back-end. Gudbranson also fits the age group (20-27) that Benning wants.

The picks are tough to swallow though. I'll give Benning a chance with the trade since there's still a month until draft day.

There's something about McCann's attitude/personality that I think the Canucks have concerns about.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
He's gonna try to recoup these draft picks at the draft when picks are held at the highest regard after not doing nothing at the trade deadline in a sellers market.

Expect a trade like Hansen for a mid 2nd or trade down from 5th to recover a 2nd round pick.

:facepalm:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Or contracts.

Also......this should basically spell the end of the Dan Hamhuis era. I suspect he ends up in Edmonton.

Instead of re-signing Hamhuis and keeping McCann+33rd, or trading him for a late 1st at the deadline, we end up letting him walk for nothing and overpaying for a worse player. The Benning special.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
He's gonna try to recoup these draft picks at the draft when picks are held at the highest regard after not doing nothing at the trade deadline in a sellers market.

Expect a trade like Hansen for a mid 2nd or trade down from 5th to recover a 2nd round pick.

:facepalm:

Exactly.

Then expect Trevor Linden to tell everyone "people need to understand that we can only get what is being offered. We wanted a 1st round pick for Jannik, but we can't force teams to give that up. A 3rd and a 5th was the best we could do."

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
For all the people criticizing Benning because he acquired a physical, stay at home defenseman instead of an offensive playmaker, we needed both. One down, one to go.

so how does he aquire that offensive playmaker? via trade? or drafting. if he goes draft route. that player wont be ready until 2-3yrs down the road.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Instead of re-signing Hamhuis and keeping McCann+33rd, or trading him for a late 1st at the deadline, we end up letting him walk for nothing and overpaying for a worse player. The Benning special.

Add to that, we have to watch him play for the Oilers.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I actually really like the player but I don't want Benning making another trade, he just ends up giving away free picks.

I would agree with that. On the bright side though it is a breath of fresh air to see us making the most of our picks (even if we're bleeding some) compared to wasting them all on busts.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
There's something about McCann's attitude/personality that I think the Canucks have concerns about.
I agree with you. It's odd because Benning drafted him and he's high on character. He's gone now, and it could have been that centre spots were filled with Horvat, Sutter, Sedin, Granlund, Gaunce/Vey.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
we didn't need a physical, stay at home defenseman. we needed a good defenseman.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
so how does he aquire that offensive playmaker? via trade? or drafting. if he goes draft route. that player wont be ready until 2-3yrs down the road.

Who knows if he'll be able to? Just because we needed two defensemen doesn't mean we should criticize him for only adding one at this time.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
You guys will love Gudbranson. I hope he turns into a Jovo for you guys. I loved the guy

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Excellent use of assets again by the worst management team currently employed by an NHL team. We are so lucky.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Did someone post a comment on this page about the NHL requiring NHL teams to have only one ECHL affiliation and then break the news that Kalamazoo has signed with Tampa Bay?

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
McCann is going to be a star in this league. It might take him 3 years to break out but I am sure he will once he fills out.

Benning is a trading fool, and should be fired into the sun. Aqualini can join him too for signing off on this trade. People keep saying Benning is good at drafting, but he hates draft picks.

And giving up 33 overall this year, could very well become a better player than what we got in Gudbranson.

Gudbranson did go 3rd overall but has developed into a defensive dman. This is a bust at third, we should be drafting for players like this with our second round picks we never keep.

This philosophy of trading our future away, for players who are mid 20s and not reached their potential yet, has to stop. :rant:

Last edited:

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Brutal trade just one of the worst of all time :shakehead

How benning has this job is scary of what still could happen. He has too much power to continue this destruction

It's a ******* awesome trade man, who would have thunk a prospect plus a couple picks (no 1st's) gets 24 year old 6'5 Gudbranson.

He will allow Hutton to cherry pick up front getting more points.

McCann was just going to the AHL or battle it out with Rodin for a winger spot.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
The more and more I consider this trade the more stoked I am.

Probably one of the best trades in history.

McCann is too small to play in the NHL, especially at the Centre role. And the #33 pick is going to be crap probably. Just look at the type of picks the Florida Panthers have got with around #33 overall:

2014 Entry 32 2 Jayce Hawryluk
2013 Entry 31 2 Ian McCoshen
2011 Entry 33 2 Rocco Grimaldi
2010 Entry 33 2 John Mcfarland
2009 Entry 44 2 Drew Shore
2008 Entry 31 2 Jacob Markstrom

HaHaHaHaHaHa!

Reactions: dim jim

lawrence

May 19, 2012
now that I'm thinking about it, where the hell is McCann going to play? top 2 centers in Florida is Bdjustad and Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad