Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Ilya Mikheyev signs with the Canucks (4 years, $4.75M AAV)

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Good stuff, it’s worked out for everyone.
He got paid what The Leafs couldn’t afford to pay him, Canucks got a good player who is contributing.
I’m struggling to see how the trolls are going to try and spin this one.
As a leafs fan its very frustrating to see these types of players move on. It's just inevitable at this point that players like Hyman, bunting, mikheyev, leave because we can't get close on their demands. We'll see if the money can be found to keep Bunting around. But regardless, these players start being real contributors to the team, they play their role, then they're gone. If it wins the leafs a cup, then all is forgiven, but it has not proven to be a successful formula yet.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Good stuff, it’s worked out for everyone.
He got paid what The Leafs couldn’t afford to pay him, Canucks got a good player who is contributing.
I’m struggling to see how the trolls are going to try and spin this one.
Some folks thought he wouldn’t be worth the money even if the Leafs could fit him earlier in the thread. But to be fair, this is a four year deal and the year hasn’t finished yet.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I wasn't sure about this contract, didn't hate it for the Canucks but felt he could regress from last season. He's been great for them though, solid contract for sure and they gave up no assets to acquire him. That's a win.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
As a leafs fan its very frustrating to see these types of players move on. It's just inevitable at this point that players like Hyman, bunting, mikheyev, leave because we can't get close on their demands. We'll see if the money can be found to keep Bunting around. But regardless, these players start being real contributors to the team, they play their role, then they're gone. If it wins the leafs a cup, then all is forgiven, but it has not proven to be a successful formula yet.
This is the reality of a salary cap world.

Credit to the Leafs for creatong a culture where players can grow and them earn their paycheque and contribute to other teams.

They are not the only team that loses players year in/year out.

Reactions: Pyrophorus and Ciao

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
As a Leafs' fan, I think its a good thing that Leaf prospects develop well and graduate out to the point that the Leafs can no longer afford them all. It's a sign of a healthy drafting and development system at all levels of play, including the NHL.

It sure beats the bad old days when the only place the Leafs could find competent NHL-level players was from outside their own organization.

When I see so many players drafted and/or developed by the Leafs throughout the NHL that they could not fit onto their roster and/or under the cap, it tells me that the Toronto Maple Leafs are doing a very good job and are becoming a premier organization within the NHL.

There are a lot of good ex-Leafs scattered throughout the league. A few that come to mind are Trevor Moore, Sean Durzi, Carl Grundstrom, Calle Rosen, Mason Marchment, Carter Vergaeghe, Josh Leivo, Ilya Mikheyev, Travis Dermott, Zach Hyman, Alexander Barabanov, James Reimer and Connor Brown. I'm sure there are others. All of these players started off at some point with the Toronto Maple Leafs and eventually filtered out of their system, only to succeed elsewhere. You can't keep them all, and that looks like a succes to me.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Imagine if the Nucks managed to trade Miller for the rumoured Chytil, Lundkvist, and a 1st, and had Bear earlier. The worst case scenario, they'd, they can re-sign Horvat, pick high in a deep draft (Two picks for that matter), and have a much better situation for the future. In the best case scenario, would be in a playoff spot.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hes been a pleasant surprise but a tad overpaid but you get what you pay for. has high end motor very good defensively aside from petterson. plus has two russians in pods and kuzmenko the follow countrymen to have around. decent shot and is finishing his chances as well.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
hes been a pleasant surprise but a tad overpaid but you get what you pay for. has high end motor very good defensively aside from petterson. plus has two russians in pods and kuzmenko the follow countrymen to have around. decent shot and is finishing his chances as well.

Well said. What I saw from Mikheyev when he was with Toronto was that he almost never let you down. Even when he isn't impressive, his worst games were still fine and a positive contribution. He tries hard enough to that he's rarely at fault for a bad play. Mix that kind of effort with competant scoring numbers, and he's worth 4.something million a year.

Reactions: David71

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
A win where they cant afford Horvat any more.
False. With poolman likely being done, they have 16M in cap space with 17 players signed that are on their roster today. That’s with the cap increase being 1M. They could easily sign horvat if they want to. They just can’t sign horvat and look to improve this roster

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
False. With poolman likely being done, they have 16M in cap space with 17 players signed that are on their roster today. That’s with the cap increase being 1M. They could easily sign horvat if they want to. They just can’t sign horvat and look to improve this roster
FALSE….. BUT TRUE! That’s the whole point. SMH. Of course you can sign whoever you want and Make your team worse because of the cap crunch the Canucks keep putting themselves in By signing FAs year after year. You keep leaving yourself with worse and worse choices. What a pointlessly pedantic post.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
FALSE….. BUT TRUE! That’s the whole point. SMH. Of course you can sign whoever you want and Make your team worse because of the cap crunch the Canucks keep putting themselves in By signing FAs year after year. You keep leaving yourself with worse and worse choices. What a pointlessly pedantic post.
I think your point only makes sense if Mikheyev wasn't playing well. If the Canucks didn't have Mikheyev then they'd have 4 million in cap space available to improve the roster... but they probably wouldn't get a player much better than Mikheyev with that money.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Been a great pickup and well worth his contract if he continues to produce at about a 30 goal and 58 point pace without first unit PP time and continues his solid two way play including PK’ing. He fills a big hole on the Canucks.

Reactions: ratbid

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
yet you're posting as if Mikeheyev's 4.75M is the direct reason the Canucks cant sign him? lol of course when you have numerous other bad contracts, signing a good player on a half decent contract is going to affect the teams ability to spend, Thanks captain obvious! Even if the Canucks didnt sign Mikheyev it would just make it more apparent they need to trade Horvat.

New flash Mikheyev and his contract arent anywhere close to being the reason the Canucks may not re-sign Horvat. Talk about glass houses.

Reactions: banks

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Tampa has obviously been better constructed, but they kinda did that with various players no?

Im thinking the Goodrow, Coleman of the world... heck even JT Miller played part of two seasons with them and they let him go.

They find replacements - now its Hagel, Colton's turns.

It's the elite players that make the team elite. Yes, they find solid complementary players, but guys like Hagel, Coleman, Goodrow aren't worth paying big money for. At the end of the day, just find the next one, its much easier than finding the next Kucherov or Matthews

Reactions: The Management

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I think your point only makes sense if Mikheyev wasn't playing well. If the Canucks didn't have Mikheyev then they'd have 4 million in cap space available to improve the roster... but they probably wouldn't get a player much better than Mikheyev with that money.
So, would you rather have Horvat or Mikheyev?

I get it. It's a mistake on top of a mistake on top of a mistake. But you reach point when even if the Mikheyev signing isn't bad in a vacuum it's still the straw that broke the camel's back after years of bad FA signings and it costs you Horvat.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
yet you're posting as if Mikeheyev's 4.75M is the direct reason the Canucks cant sign him? lol of course when you have numerous other bad contracts, signing a good player on a half decent contract is going to affect the teams ability to spend, Thanks captain obvious! Even if the Canucks didnt sign Mikheyev it would just make it more apparent they need to trade Horvat.

New flash Mikheyev and his contract arent anywhere close to being the reason the Canucks may not re-sign Horvat. Talk about glass houses.
It's pretty hard to ask questions about what makes the least sense in this post because it's all completely non sensical. But let's start with the most confusing part. Why are you talking about glass houses?

And holy shit, how does anyone calling themselves a Canucks fan attempt to defend this or any management team in the last decade +? Just wow Morty, you really are bred for forgiveness.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs have replaced the player internally which is a good sign of organizational health, but it is nice to see him do well. His problem with us was never his play in the regular season

Reactions: AvroArrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad