Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Ilya Mikheyev signs with the Canucks (4 years, $4.75M AAV)

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Is it an overpay? Probably. But as a Leaf fan, I think Nucks fans will love Mikey. Can keep up with McDavid fast, tries his ass off and is starting to figure out his hands after a thousand breakaways. I will miss him. But I will admit, he was invisible in the playoffs every year. That was disappointing. Could change.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
And Elias Pettersson is Auston Matthews. Keep em coming.
My post was true, this one is simply just trying to be dumb. Tavares has never been worth his 11m, and when he signed it, wasn't worth what Stamkos signed for. Should have been an 8m signing, less if he really wanted Toronto to try and win a cup. He has been over a PPG 4 times in his long career, hasn't won anything in this league. Aside from being good at face-offs, he does nothing for his team defensively.

Elias is an elite player, and he will have a great career that could potentially be a HHoF career. Matthews is nearly a generational talent(sorry, he will never be at McDavids level) and will be a first ballot HHoF. That being said, Elias will probably sign a 6-8 year at the end of his deal, and for less than Matthews currently makes. I would wager Matthews walks away from Toronto in 2 years.
Canucks will get more out of Elias than Toronto will from Matthews by the end of their careers.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
I watched him play a lot this last season. And every time he played with the top six bestest players in the universe, there just didn't seem to be enough pucks to go around. However, the top six did benefit from his speed and he was the only one of that level that seemed to both forecheck and back check.

Of course I like the signing...and also recognize that Leaf fans are not alone in bashing players who leave town, especially when no assets are coming back.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
My post was true, this one is simply just trying to be dumb. Tavares has never been worth his 11m, and when he signed it, wasn't worth what Stamkos signed for. Should have been an 8m signing, less if he really wanted Toronto to try and win a cup. He has been over a PPG 4 times in his long career, hasn't won anything in this league. Aside from being good at face-offs, he does nothing for his team defensively.

Elias is an elite player, and he will have a great career that could potentially be a HHoF career. Matthews is nearly a generational talent(sorry, he will never be at McDavids level) and will be a first ballot HHoF. That being said, Elias will probably sign a 6-8 year at the end of his deal, and for less than Matthews currently makes. I would wager Matthews walks away from Toronto in 2 years.
Canucks will get more out of Elias than Toronto will from Matthews by the end of their careers.
If you’re going to go long term in FA you do it for stars. Timing matters. Tavares, Panarin, etc. hit market once in a blue moon.

I’d rather overpay a PPG star than constant middle/bottom six role players like VAN has done for 5+ years only to dump them. Good luck with your fantasy "wagers".

• Haha
Reactions: tilly123123

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I liked Mikheyev while he was here but wouldn't have retained him at that term. He shoots a ton at the goalie's logo but his speed creates tons of chances, and he can put a game away with empty netters due to his awareness and speed.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you’re going to go long term in FA you do it for stars. Timing matters. Tavares, Panarin, etc. hit market once in a blue moon.

I’d rather overpay a PPG star than constant middle/bottom six role players like VAN has done for 5+ years only to dump them.
Sure. But I’d rather do neither. Which is why both teams likely never win a Cup in the near future. Too many of the top teams don’t have these boat anchor contracts. And Tavares is only going to get worse.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022

I’d rather overpay a PPG star than constant middle/bottom six role players like VAN has done for 5+ years only to dump them. Good luck with your fantasy "wagers".
Eh, the Tavares signing was a mistake. That’s what is handcuffing your team. You’d have been better off getting a 50 point two way guy.

Tavares is a sensational offensive player. He generates a lot. But when he’s not in the offensive zone, he’s a dumpster fire. Horrendous defensively. Slow, awkward skater in a league increasingly about speed and mobility. He’s weak on the outside.

Just not a guy I’d ever build a team around. Especially at $11m a season. It was a disaster of a signing, and the main reason you’re not seriously competing for a cup right now.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

I’d rather overpay a PPG star than constant middle/bottom six role players like VAN has done for 5+ years only to dump them.
Panarin >>>> Tavares

4 years isn't long term, and overpayment matters. You guys would be a much better team without Tavares than you are with him.

Tavares is not a PPG star. He is nearly a PPG careerwise. But he has only been at or above a PPG 4 times in 13 seasons.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Can someone explain how he has positive expected goals and has hands of stone?

Not trying to play gotcha, I’m genuinely curious. His expected goals were WELL above league averages. About 7% above. Meaning any time he shoots the puck, his shots are going in 7% more than League averages from any given area

That doesn’t scream “hands of stone” to me. That screams “lack of opportunity”. Maybe having to play with a boat anchor like Tavares hurt him in the top 6? I dunno.

But something is fishy.

I’m assuming it’s because he gets a lot of breakaways so his finishing on those are likely stronger. But hands of stone isn’t just related to finishing ability. His problem seems to be more that he’s not a particularly good cycle player and doesn’t use his teammates well, which doesn’t bode well for excelling with better linemates. He seems to be best utilized in a role where he and his linemates can disrupt the opposition with speed, forechecking and defensive play, and chip in offensively in the counter attack. That’s a useful player, but better suited to a good third line rather than a true top 6 role.

Jannik Hansen was kind of that way with the Canucks. He had a couple decent stints with the Sedins where he was an excellent puck retriever and could finish at a solid rate, but I don’t think he had the offensive IQ or hands to make the line better as he couldn’t work the possession game well enough, unlike Alex Burrows who was a similar but better player who could work the possession game, and brought out the best in them. Though if the Canucks don’t trade Miller, and can run strength down the middle, he might work best with Horvat, who also likes to work on the rush.

Last edited:

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Well doing so has done absolutely no good for either team, you guys can't win a playoff series with a "PPG" star and we can't even make the playoffs with our overpaid bottom sixers. One isn't really better than the other is it?

I’m assuming it’s because he gets a lot of breakaways so his finishing on those are likely stronger. But hands of stone isn’t just related to finishing ability. His problem seems to be more that he’s not a particularly good cycle player and doesn’t use his teammates well, which doesn’t bode well for excelling with better linemates. He seems to be best utilized in a role where he and his linemates can disrupt the opposition with speed, forechecking and defensive play, and chip in offensively in the counter attack. That’s a useful player, but better suited to a good third line rather than a true top 6 role.

Jannik Hansen was kind of that way with the Canucks. He had a couple decent stints with the Sedins where he was an excellent puck retriever and could finish at a solid rate, but I don’t think he had the offensive IQ or hands to make the line better as he couldn’t work the possession game well enough, unlike Alex Burrows who was a similar but better player who could work the possession game, and brought out the best in them. Though if the Canucks don’t trade Miller, and can run strength down the middle, he might work best with Horvat, who also likes to work on the rush.

His IQ was fine, it was his ability to finish that was the problem.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
the extra overpayment of 500k per year is clearly a recruiting wink wink thank you fee for talking Kuzmenko into choosing Vancouver.

both parties have mentioned that a lunch in Miami between Ilya and Kuzmenko a couple of weeks before Kuzmenko made the rounds was a big factor on why Kuzmenko chose Van. Ilya said he told Kuzmenko to choose Van because of the beautiful city and the young team.

Reactions: Burnaby Schmo

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
im a canucks fan and can get on board with the potential this guy brings. but it is an overpay, and more concerning is that they rushed to burn all our remaining cap on another winger when the D is such a glaring need ... now no flexibility to make a trade like the Marino one, when Pens looking to shed salary. finding it hard to have confidence they didnt overplay the miller hand too ...time will tell

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
the extra overpayment of 500k per year is clearly a recruiting wink wink thank you fee for talking Kuzmenko into choosing Vancouver.

both parties have mentioned that a lunch in Miami between Ilya and Kuzmenko a couple of weeks before Kuzmenko made the rounds was a big factor on why Kuzmenko chose Van. Ilya said he told Kuzmenko to choose Van because of the beautiful city and the young team.
Interesting. Looking forward to seeing Kuzmenko play. As for the Petterson debate with Mathews. All I will say is that I will never take Elias in a hockey pool ever again. Burnt me two years in a row compared to other available guys. Guy is dead to me.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Interesting. Looking forward to seeing Kuzmenko play. As for the Petterson debate with Mathews. All I will say is that I will never take Elias in a hockey pool ever again. Burnt me two years in a row compared to other available guys. Guy is dead to me.

ahha thats on you brother.. Did you not know that EP40 dislocated his wrist last season...guy couldnt even hold a stick..why would you take him in a hockey pool?

It wasnt until January that he said he started feeling healthy which makes sense because he had 6 goals in the season going into January, and he finished the year with 32.

He will have a couple of 90-100 seasons in his prime, book it.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
12+10 after 31 games. Add to this his 2-way game and PK, and I'd say he's worth his money.
Good stuff, it’s worked out for everyone.
He got paid what The Leafs couldn’t afford to pay him, Canucks got a good player who is contributing.
I’m struggling to see how the trolls are going to try and spin this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad