Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] F Ilya Mikheyev signs with the Canucks (4 years, $4.75M AAV)

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
A win where they cant afford Horvat any more.

Look, I'm an Oilers fan and not a Canucks fan at all but I don't see why you feel the need to find creative ways to tear down another team. It's not going to make your team better somehow.

As far as the contracts, you find somewhere else to shed cap if you want to re-sign Horvat. You don't worry about the guy who's making good efficient use of the cap space he's taking up.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Look, I'm an Oilers fan and not a Canucks fan at all but I don't see why you feel the need to find creative ways to tear down another team. It's not going to make your team better somehow.

As far as the contracts, you find somewhere else to shed cap if you want to re-sign Horvat. You don't worry about the guy who's making good efficient use of the cap space he's taking up.
It's hardly my creativity that tore the Canucks down. You can hand that credit to the last 10+ years of Canucks (mis)management.

They signed Mikheyev knowing it would put them in a bad spot with Horvat. They made their decision. It cost them Horvat. Blame it on the Myers contract if You want. But what you are actually saying is at the time of the Mikheyev signing is you want him over Horvat. No 20/20 hindsight that you point to needed. He could be complete shit or he could play as well as he has, it doesn't matter because the decision has already been made.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
It's hardly my creativity that tore the Canucks down. You can hand that credit to the last 10+ years of Canucks (mis)management.

They signed Mikheyev knowing it would put them in a bad spot with Horvat. They made their decision. It cost them Horvat. Blame it on the Myers contract if You want. But what you are actually saying is at the time of the Mikheyev signing is you want him over Horvat. No 20/20 hindsight that you point to needed. He could be complete shit or he could play as well as he has, it doesn't matter because the decision has already been made.

You keep saying this as if it’s true but it’s not. The Canucks have space to sign Horvat. The question is whether that’s the best use of the money. It’s very apparent management values Horvat at a specific dollar figure that he likely won’t sign for in part because of him putting up an unrepeatable season. Paying Mikheyev doesn’t change them not wanting to overpay long term for Horvat. The Miller deal was what pretty much nailed shut the Horvat deal because it’s very difficult to pay two players big money long term deals into their 30s when the team isn’t currently a contender.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You keep saying this as if it’s true but it’s not. The Canucks have space to sign Horvat. The question is whether that’s the best use of the money. It’s very apparent management values Horvat at a specific dollar figure that he likely won’t sign for in part because of him putting up an unrepeatable season. Paying Mikheyev doesn’t change them not wanting to overpay long term for Horvat. The Miller deal was what pretty much nailed shut the Horvat deal because it’s very difficult to pay two players big money long term deals into their 30s when the team isn’t currently a contender.

We offered them their original ask price. Suddenly the price has gone up.

Reactions: Revengeality

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
As far as I understand problem with Horvat is that he asks for money Vancouver isn't going to pay him. It's as simple as this. Cap and Mikheyev's contract don't have any impact on the situation.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
hes been a pleasant surprise but a tad overpaid but you get what you pay for. has high end motor very good defensively aside from petterson. plus has two russians in pods and kuzmenko the follow countrymen to have around. decent shot and is finishing his chances as well.

Well said. What I saw from Mikheyev when he was with Toronto was that he almost never let you down. Even when he isn't impressive, his worst games were still fine and a positive contribution. He tries hard enough to that he's rarely at fault for a bad play. Mix that kind of effort with competant scoring numbers, and he's worth 4.something million a year.
Well said?

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
As much as I didn’t like the signing (and still don’t due to where the team is at), he has provided solid value so far.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
So, would you rather have Horvat or Mikheyev?

I get it. It's a mistake on top of a mistake on top of a mistake. But you reach point when even if the Mikheyev signing isn't bad in a vacuum it's still the straw that broke the camel's back after years of bad FA signings and it costs you Horvat.
You're implying that those are the only two options. Why can't the Canucks have both Horvat and Mikheyev? And if we can also acknowledge that Mikheyev is looking good for his cap hit, then the Canucks can even just trade him for positive value.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Nope, it was the JT contract that did this, trust me, that was the difference maker here.

Your absolutely right about 10 years of ineptitude, too bad we can't trade our owner, we'd actually be able to rebuild properly.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
You're implying that those are the only two options. Why can't the Canucks have both Horvat and Mikheyev? And if we can also acknowledge that Mikheyev is looking good for his cap hit, then the Canucks can even just trade him for positive value.
There is this thing called the salary cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad