Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd - Pt. 2

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
they have a huge logjam on the right side imminent. clarke, spence and grans are all more or less nhl ready and roy, walker and durzi are all on excellent contracts. also they are kinda stuck with doughty

durzi is probably least likely to be moved though. he's been playing a lot on the left side and they are much weaker there
Playing a right shot on the left side, this kills me a little.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I also find it hilarious that people are bashing Detroit for moving Hronek for a premium when they’ve got a better, younger defenseman in Seider who’s passed him on that depth chart as well as moving on from what amounts to their Brock Boeser for a 1st+ while having young players like Berggren, Kaspar and Edvinsson pushing for bigger roles in the
near future. I’d love for Vancouver to be in Detroit’s position.

Yeah. This shit talking of Detroit is really, really weird to me. They are better than us now and they'll be better than us moving forward. Some of the takes on Detroit are not going to age well...

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
They have a strong top 6:

Graves - Hamilton
Siegenthaler - Severson
Smith/Bahl - Marino

I like how you bring up NJ, and totally forgot how NJ basically build their blueline through trading picks and free agency. And on the other hand complain canucks trading picks.

Graves was acquired for a 2nd from Colorado
Hamilton was signed as a FA
Siegenthaler was acquired for a 3rd from Washington
Marino was acquired for Ty Smith and a 3rd from Pittsburgh,

The only significant guy there drafted by NJ was Severson.

The fact you think so highly of NJ, you must believe a team can build a competent defense through trading picks and signing free agents.

Last edited:

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
I like how you bring up NJ, and totally forgot how NJ basically build their blueline through trading picks and free agency. And on the other hand complain canucks trading picks.

The fact you think so highly of NJ, you must believe a team can build a competent defense through trading picks and signing free agents.
This thread would be 180 degrees different if the acquisition cost matched any of those acquisitions.

Or if we had half the farm that NJ has.

Reactions: timw33

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

Don’t forget to mention that Graves and Marino were acquired because Colorado and Pittsburgh moved them for expansion draft and salary cap related reasons. Vancouver won’t benefit from an expansion draft anytime soon and definitely can’t take advantage of their excess cap space.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

LOL that's less value moved, by a lot, than just what the Canucks traded for Hronek.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
no one would be complaining if vancouver got 3/4ths of a top 4 for a 2nd, 2 3rds and lekkerimaki

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
So they get rid of Myers and OEL and overpay for... who?

They can't lure in players as they are a bottom 10 team, so they will need to overpay with little to no cap space or they trade away even more assets to get rid of the cap space to overpay... again.

This is all aside from the fact it sounds like they want to play Hronek 22+ mins / night. Hronek after next year will be commanding a massive raise from his $4.4 mil salary now, expecially given being a right hander on a team that will have no other right-handers and has no prospect right handers anywhere in the mix. He can basically call his own price.
So you trading Pettersson and Hughes? Hughes has already said he doesn't want to stay for a rebuild, likely Pettersson is in the same boat.

Can't have full rebuilt and keep the two stars as well.... pick one, make a suggestion.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
"Hronek doesn't fit the timing of this team!"

Hughes and EP...

dd0.png

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
So you trading Pettersson and Hughes? Hughes has already said he doesn't want to stay for a rebuild, likely Pettersson is in the same boat.

Can't have full rebuilt and keep the two stars as well.... pick one, make a suggestion.
Hughes is here for another 4 years. Keeping our draft picks and using them in 3 months wouldn't have made any difference and doesn't signify a full on rebuild. I don't feel like Hronek will move the needle much but if they really wanted him they could have had talks with Detroit in the offseason (ya know, when he's NOT injured).

The whole "gotta do it for Petey and Hughes" thing is such a copout. We're not talking about a scorched earth tear down here. This was just a painfully tone deaf move by an organization that just can't get their shit together.

Reactions: Flik

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
People really be acting like Hroneks is 35.

Dude's a year older than Pettersson.

The overaction here is going to be funny to look back on.
Im fine with saying it was a bad move, if the reason is Hronek is a bad/mediocre player. Im not in my couch watching Wings games at 4pm though, so i really don't know.

The only complaints seem to be timing wise, which is weird, because it seems perfectly aligned with the players Hronek is meant to compliment. We may as well have all been calling that Isles pick, or even Bo for a few months, the teams "future top 4 RD"

Well here we are, it happened, and we STILL have our 1st, looking pretty juicy. The gameplan of "rebuild around EP and Hughes" (lol kinda an oxymoron) get that Makar pick guyzz look at Colorado... Is still on the menu.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

This wasn't directed at me but it's an interesting point. I do think you can build a competent defense through trades and free agency. We did that during the 2021 Cup Run. I do think that at this point, Dougie Hamilton is underrated. A lot of people don't want to rank him among the elite Dmen in the league but he really is.

Anyways, for me, I just think the price is too high for Hronek. I think something else that often gets overlooked is that he only has one more year left on his contract. While he's still an RFA, he's expected to get paid. Some have compared this trade to the Miller trade because of what was given up but it really isn't the same. Miller had 4 years left on a reasonable cap hit. Miller's cap hit is $5.25M this season.

With Hronek, I think we'll be lucky to get it an extension done for $6M AAV. Myers will be off the books by then so it's not an issue. The chips are clearly thrown in. The plan is the 2 year retool that JR said all along. I expect more changes to the blueline.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
He will only get paid if he does well in his 1st year here, which should be hoped for. The price was always going to be high for a specific position, especially this position.

Whether we use the pick in a trade, or draft, it still costs the pick. If this move works out, the 2nd as an insurance, is an afterthought.

Guys like Lekkermaki and Podz are just not moving the needle. Something had to be done on D, and it needed to align with our best young players. The team also has their own current and next 1st, so their most premium picks remain in hand.

Way too much complaining for the sake of complaining. At least wait to base it off the guy coming in and performing like Sbisa.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So Hughes and one assumes Pettersson as well don't want to stick around for a full-on rebuild...I guess you can't blame them.

But this reminds me a lot of what happened under Benning with the Sedins. The excuse then was that the Canucks couldn't embark on a full tear down and rebuild as long as the Sedins were productive players. And we all know how that worked out--the Sedins continued to be good, but the Canucks were a lottery team the last four years they played here.

So welcome to 're-tool on the fly' , second edition. I suspect it'll have the same 'success' as the last one.

Reactions: Foundational Player

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
So Hughes and one assumes Pettersson as well don't want to stick around for a full-on rebuild...I guess you can't blame them.

But this reminds me a lot of what happened under Benning with the Sedins. The excuse then was that the Canucks couldn't embark on a full tear down and rebuild as long as the Sedins were productive players. And we all know how that worked out--the Sedins continued to be good, but the Canucks were a lottery team the last four years they played here.

So welcome to 're-tool on the fly' , second edition. I suspect it'll have the same 'success' as the last one.

The Benning stuff has NO relevance to the stuff that's happening now.

A) Benning is an all-time bad executive in the history of sports
B) He was trying to retool around 35 year old Sedins (best days were long past)

Petey is 24 and Hughes is 23.

We basically have a four to five year window to be competitive while our superstars are entering their prime years.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
Im fine with saying it was a bad move, if the reason is Hronek is a bad/mediocre player. Im not in my couch watching Wings games at 4pm though, so i really don't know.

The only complaints seem to be timing wise, which is weird, because it seems perfectly aligned with the players Hronek is meant to compliment. We may as well have all been calling that Isles pick, or even Bo for a few months, the teams "future top 4 RD"

Well here we are, it happened, and we STILL have our 1st, looking pretty juicy. The gameplan of "rebuild around EP and Hughes" (lol kinda an oxymoron) get that Makar pick guyzz look at Colorado... Is still on the menu.

Exactly.

If Hronek ends up sucking and he's no good, then it's a bad move because they identified the wrong player.

The timing is literally exactly in-line with what they are trying to do. Sure... in a perfect world, the D would be a little younger (like 22-23), but we aren't really in a situation where we can pick and choose.

cc

Feb 28, 2002

The timing issue for me relates to more about why it had to be done right now during the season when the team wasn't in contention for anything. At the TDL, players are generally at their highest value. Why not wait until the offseason or during the draft when picks are arguably at their most valuable? IMO, they sold low on their picks and bought high on a player. This kind of practice ensures bottom teams stay at the bottom

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
My opinion hasn't really changed but I'm less mad haha. More or less the cost of acquisition is par for what people get at trade deadlines and the player isn't a bad one. It just seems to me that I'd have preferred to keep the pick in a deep draft or target players that are more defensively focused. This team's problem is defending, offense is fine, and any defenceman that is more offensive is going to have their minutes and opportunities rightfully given to Hughes here.

Just doesn't seem like the right kind of target for us though it does make us a lot better (any right side defenseman would though).

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Option A: Get $100 worth of the toys you actually want and need

Option B: Get $100 worth of toys, some of which you don't want or need, but have twice as many boxes under the tree to open

Seems like most would choose option B

Nov 1, 2011

We have a team that can't win.

If players don't want to go through a process that increases their chances of becoming a team that does win, then trade them.

Certainly better than continuing down the same losing path over and over again.

Reactions: Gurn

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Don't know enough about the player to know if this was a good move or not. But I do know I don't like trading away that pick.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Petey is 24 and Hughes is 23.

We basically have a four to five year window to be competitive while our superstars are entering their prime years.

You must be under the impression that the franchise cornerstone centre signed an 8 year contract on his last deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad