Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Canucks acquire D Filip Hronek, 4th in ‘23 for NYI 1st (condt’l), 2023 2nd - Pt. 2

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Detroit had 18 picks in the first 3 rounds of the 2017-19 drafts up from their allotted 8. They didn't get there by leaving the roster static.

By the end of the 18-19 season when Yzerman took over that roster was basically entirely U25 players or old untradeable junk like Mike Green and Thomas Vanek. The teardown like what Chicago is doing now was already done when he arrived.
Please stop. I’m already hurt enough.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Look I'm not going to say I've watched Hronek extensively or I'm sort of expert here but he's a player who never really stood out to me when I have watched him and I've never been interested in acquiring him. Reportedly he was at his best with a defensive defenceman however has struggled at times. So sounds like a good player with some flaws - not the type I would personally lump in with Makar, McAvoy, Fox and the others you listed and probably better suited to the 2nd pairing. He's getting more minutes this year due to Seider having some sophomore struggles but again those minutes do not mean he's some sort of high-value unicorn. Certainly not a player you have to rush to acquire while paying an incredibly expensive price for simply because he becomes briefly available.

He's not lumping Hronek in to Makar, McAvoy and Fox he just gave a list of RHD 25 and under getting big minutes. Hronek is on that list no matter how hard you try to downplay it.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
Hilarious that some of you think that Hughes, Demko and Pettersson would be willing to stick out a full rebuild like you're asking for. Wonder what Pettersson or Hughes is going to say when they come up to their years to sign as a UFA and the team is saying "Yeah, we're rebuilding for a few more years"

We either have to accept that we'd need to trade Pettersson and Hughes for picks because the team wasn't going to have been rebuilt before they became UFA's as it was going to be MANY years (5+).... or the team was going to have to look at some of the few fantastic pieces that they already had at core spots and decide if they could make a push in 2-3 years while these guys are in their prime. They have the offense... if they can grab a couple more solid defenders, they'll be a solid team.

With Myers, coming off the books, that in itself is enough cap space to sign one. If they buy out OEL, that's enough for a second guy.

It sounds like we might even be able to get rid of Boeser as well.

I think the management sees these potential moves and think they have to do this now.

Imagine how the fans would feel if we traded away Pettersson and Hughes to go full rebuilt.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
We absolutely should have taken the Rags offer on Miller last season. Traded Bo this year. Taken a real run at Bedard. But we didn't.

Defensemen take a long time to develop. Couple years in juniors/AHL. Then it takes em a few years to acclimate to NHL level play. Even generational 1st overall defensemen like Dahlin. He's finally hitting his stride in his 5th year. We cant exactly wait to draft and develop a D core if we are building around Pettersson. Hoping we can build a blue line, waiting until he's 30 before we start trying to climb back up.

That doesn't make any sense. Either we build around Pettersson, or we trade him and go full scorched earth. There's no logical middle ground.

If that's the argument people are making here, trading Petey, fine. But it sure seems like people are just throwing out buzzwords and cliches without putting much thought into the surrounding circumstances.

We screwed up not pulling the trigger on Miller last season. But we're here now. I dont see anything other than trying to build a team around Petey being valid. It's the least sucky option.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Remember when the 27th overall team traded away a 15th and 40th overall pick for a career minus -87 defensman?

Buying out OEL …. Retaining on Boeser and / or Miller ….

This is his teams get in to cap hell. Making stupid decisions then changing course.

Reactions: 4th line culture

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hughes this morning saying “we don’t want to be here for a rebuild and go through all of that” (in the context that he believes our team has good pieces) shows this trade is more than just management wanting to fast track, but rather, getting an important piece for the future of our blueline and ultimately making our two stars happy.

I have definitely warmed up to the trade. It’s a real kick in the gut to give up that 1st (quite frankly don’t care much at all for that 2nd), but I think getting someone like Hronek definitely eases that pain.

It’s not like we got some absolute dinosaur like Gudbranson or traded a prospect for a reclamation project further ahead, this was a legitimate grab for a top 4 defenseman that fits with the current core of Petey, Kuz, Hughes, and Demko.

I would’ve much preferred we gave up a 2025 1st or something among those lines but it is what it is. The pick that matters most is our own. With the guys available with that pick, I mean there are some real solid guys.

Reactions: JohnHodgson

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Caps literally just made the same bet for a worse player. They traded (an admittedly lower) 1st for Rasmus Sandin. A 1st that they had just acquired days earlier for 2 impending UFAs.

Almost the same trade? Sandin is younger, cost controlled and further from UFA $$$. Boston's 1st is nothing long NYIs 1st, it is much closer in value to Vancouver's 2nd rounder.

Value depends on on how much you rate Gustafsson. Me personally, not NYI 1st.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Almost the same trade? Sandin is younger, cost controlled and further from UFA $$$. Boston's 1st is nothing long NYIs 1st, it is much closer in value to Vancouver's 2nd rounder.

Value depends on on how much you rate Gustafsson. Me personally, not NYI 1st.
Almost the same trade in the sense that it's using picks acquired for outgoing UFAs to pivot towards a young Dman. If that doesn't seem similar to you, I can't make it more simple than that.

I would like to add that Hronek is better and plays a more premium position and is only two draft years older than Sandin but considerably more established.

I swear many people on this board would rather wishcast onto what isn't, rather than appreciate what is.

"We should have traded for Sandin. Who knows, he could become as good as Hronek if we're lucky!"

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
la is going to move durzi for peanuts in the offseason so if you think he's as good as hronek the canucks have made a grave mistake

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Should at least have received a scratched or dented discount

Injured now and nearly killed by a Reaves hit earlier in the season

He has gone downhill since the hit

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The point is that the teardown happened before Yzerman arrived, the draft pick accumulation happened before Yzerman arrived, and he was working from a situation where things would be expected to get more competitive more quickly than for a GM who was just starting a teardown.

I think this is an agree to disagree scenario, but pick accumulation aside I don't really see what Yzerman was given as a good team, one you can "turn around in a hurry" so to speak. Besides Larkin, the last 5 drafts Holland had (if you exclude 2019 as a Holland draft) their best player they selected was just traded to us. Athanasiou ('12) is a replaceable piece, Mantha ('13) is a overvalued piece, Bertuzzi ('13) is the only player I really would have kept.

They got draft picks in 2017-19, fair enough, but I don't really think much of that group they drafted in that time minus Seider. What they are doing right now is exactly what they should be doing as the way I see it. That's all.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm late to this "party" but I'm piling on to say that I hate this trade. It's horrible asset management, giving up the 1st should've been enough (even if I think that still would've been too pricey) but if Detroit insisted on having the 2nd included I would've said "thanks, but no thanks, Steve" and moved along. We can't be giving up multiple picks and assets for players, we have more than just one or two holes to fill. Hronek only has one year left on his deal and is currently injured? What a dumbass move. The entire reason we were forced to move our damn Captain is because we're strapped for cash, and then our dipshit GM decides "hey, let's go out and acquire another soon to be expired contract!" Moron.

Buy high, sell low. It's the Canuck way. Jim Benning would be proud. I have zero faith in this new management team, they're just as bad as the last group, if not worse because they promised to make moves and all they did was to extend the contracts of guys that got the last group fired instead of capitalizing on their value to add additional pieces. It's insane how shortsighted ownership and management is. I'm expecting the worst tomorrow.

Reactions: Gurn

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Hilarious that some of you think that Hughes, Demko and Pettersson would be willing to stick out a full rebuild like you're asking for. Wonder what Pettersson or Hughes is going to say when they come up to their years to sign as a UFA and the team is saying "Yeah, we're rebuilding for a few more years"

We either have to accept that we'd need to trade Pettersson and Hughes for picks because the team wasn't going to have been rebuilt before they became UFA's as it was going to be MANY years (5+).... or the team was going to have to look at some of the few fantastic pieces that they already had at core spots and decide if they could make a push in 2-3 years while these guys are in their prime. They have the offense... if they can grab a couple more solid defenders, they'll be a solid team.

With Myers, coming off the books, that in itself is enough cap space to sign one. If they buy out OEL, that's enough for a second guy.

I think the management sees these potential moves and think they have to do this now.

Imagine how the fans would feel if we traded away Pettersson and Hughes to go full rebuilt.

What the Oilers are, is all that the Canucks can reasonably hope to be over the next four years in any go-for-it scenario. They are awful defensively, have no goalie behind Demko who is having injury issues, they have little in the way of prospects and draft picks to deal to fill the numerous gaps in the roster and are not only capped out but stuck in LTIR on top of that.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Would you take Pettersson, Hughes, Demko

Or

Hughes, Hamilton, Meier(I guess now)

Lots more depth but they won the lottery twice compared to us, I’d take our core.

Even after trading 3 highly regarded defensive prospects they have 6 or 7 guys waiting in the wings including Hughes (the 3rd one), Nemec, Bahl, Casey. They have Akira Smid tracking as near Demko level with a .930 save % and a 1.91 GAA in his first 10 NHL starts + Nico Daws behind him who is at least tracking as a serviceable 6'6 backup. They have a whole slew of young forwards who are having great seasons on the NHL team:

Jack Hughes (21 years old) 74 points in 56 GP
Nico Hischier (24 years old) 57 points in 59 GP
Jesper Bratt (24 years old) 57 points / 64 GP
Dawson Mercer (21 years old) 43 points / 60 GP
Yegor Sharangovich (24 years old) 27 points / 60 GP

They have a strong top 6:

Graves - Hamilton
Siegenthaler - Severson
Smith/Bahl - Marino

Even beyond this and despite having traded a number of picks and prospects this deadline they are flush with young talent coming.

This is similar to all the best teams out there sans Boston, Tampa, Toronto, Vegas and the Avalanche.... but ya those teams are either cup winners recently or on a final push to try to get there.

The Canucks are not close. Ya with a dozen more moves and guys maybe they get a wildcard spot then have to blow it up again in a couple of years. They have no prospects, no cap room and are a bottom 10 team in the league.

Reactions: BimJenning and Gurn

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

So they get rid of Myers and OEL and overpay for... who?

They can't lure in players as they are a bottom 10 team, so they will need to overpay with little to no cap space or they trade away even more assets to get rid of the cap space to overpay... again.

This is all aside from the fact it sounds like they want to play Hronek 22+ mins / night. Hronek after next year will be commanding a massive raise from his $4.4 mil salary now, expecially given being a right hander on a team that will have no other right-handers and has no prospect right handers anywhere in the mix. He can basically call his own price.

Reactions: Gurn

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
DET being used as a cautionary tale is kind of funny, especially coming from the re-tool bros who just want a playoff team.

Oh no, we might end up with a team that’s 11 points better than the Canucks in a much more difficult division, has a deeper prospect pool, more future picks, and more cap flexibility?

Sounds like Detroit is in a much better position to become the cap era Preds/Flames in the west that this organization is striving for. Re-tool bros should be salivating over the Wings situation.
It's also hilarious to see "Det is 7 years in and not a contender that's why rebuilds are bad" meanwhile we're in year 10 of the retool and they're literally better than us with way more cap space and a massive prospect pool that has barely touched the NHL.

But somehow the conclusion is supposed to be "rebuild bad, retool good"

Ninjadude

Oct 25, 2018
I just don’t get it. He is a Good defenceman, but are not competing for the Cup next year, or the next…or for the foreseeable future! We need to draft good assets and make a team from the ground up! A championship team has a core (which we sort of have) and complimentary pieces surrounding them. We can trade for them, sign them at free agency or draft them!

We need those young pieces on entry level deals to be competitive - which means DRAFT them. Not trade away all our 1st and 2nds for assets that are out of their entry level deals and are expensive…hello OEL!

This last trade makes no sense at all. Why not just wait and see what’s available at the draft - trade it or use the pick. Or pay less in the off season, instead of paying deadline deal prices?! Like, Ca’mon, we need to start keeping our high picks and getting them playing for the team. I know I would prefer having Dylon Guenthar instead of Garland and OEL. by adding we are trying to be competitive and this year, of all freaking years we should be tanking to have a better shot of drafting Bedard…the little phenom from our own backyard!

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I just don’t get it. He is a Good defenceman, but are not competing for the Cup next year, or the next…or for the foreseeable future! We need to draft good assets and make a team from the ground up! A championship team has a core (which we sort of have) and complimentary pieces surrounding them. We can trade for them, sign them at free agency or draft them!

We need those young pieces on entry level deals to be competitive - which means DRAFT them. Not trade away all our 1st and 2nds for assets that are out of their entry level deals and are expensive…hello OEL!

This last trade makes no sense at all. Why not just wait and see what’s available at the draft - trade it or use the pick. Or pay less in the off season, instead of paying deadline deal prices?! Like, Ca’mon, we need to start keeping our high picks and getting them playing for the team. I know I would prefer having Dylon Guenthar instead of Garland and OEL. by adding we are trying to be competitive and this year, of all freaking years we should be tanking to have a better shot of drafting Bedard…the little phenom from our own backyard!

The Canucks need a long-term RHD so this team can improve & become competitive, but also shouldn't add a good 25 y/o RHD because they aren't contenders right now.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
DET being used as a cautionary tale is kind of funny, especially coming from the re-tool bros who just want a playoff team.

Oh no, we might end up with a team that’s 11 points better than the Canucks in a much more difficult division, has a deeper prospect pool, more future picks, and more cap flexibility?

Sounds like Detroit is in a much better position to become the cap era Preds/Flames in the west that this organization is striving for. Re-tool bros should be salivating over the Wings situation.
I also find it hilarious that people are bashing Detroit for moving Hronek for a premium when they’ve got a better, younger defenseman in Seider who’s passed him on that depth chart as well as moving on from what amounts to their Brock Boeser for a 1st+ while having young players like Berggren, Kaspar and Edvinsson pushing for bigger roles in the
near future. I’d love for Vancouver to be in Detroit’s position.

Reactions: Flik

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Sean Durzi is a terrific player.
Will be interesting to see what he inevitably is traded for, especially if it happens this offseason. But most likely they’ll utilize his last year of his current contract to their advantage and wait until Clarke/Spence/Grans force their hands.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Willing be interesting to see what he inevitably is traded for, especially if it happens this offseason, but most likely they’ll utilize his last year of his current contract to their advantage.

they have a huge logjam on the right side imminent. clarke, spence and grans are all more or less nhl ready and roy, walker and durzi are all on excellent contracts. also they are kinda stuck with doughty

durzi is probably least likely to be moved though. he's been playing a lot on the left side and they are much weaker there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad