Confirmed with Link: [VAN/DET] Alex Biega for David Pope

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Awful move. I'm not a fan of Biega's game in terms of a top 6 defender but he's a perfect #7/8 and we need D depth, not more wingers. A Tanev injury is probably only a week or two away.

Nah dude it means nothing, smarten up (sarcasm)

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
Brutal. Why are we doing Detroit favours? If we didn’t think there was room for beiga (which is insane because I think he’s proven he is a bottom pairing dman in the NHL, who gives 100 % every night) and has looked better than both stretcher and Benn in pre season, why not at least get a draft pick from them? If they wanted to move a contract, tell them you want more value or move on.

megatron

Dec 11, 2016
we’ve had Biega for how many years.
When’s the season he’s gonna ‘step’ up?

is Biega gonna put up top 4 defensive production?
FOH

He's a a serviceable 6th defender and is paid as such 850k a year. Dont need him to put up top 4 production. He stepped in quite admirably last year when the D corp was hit with a rash of injuries. Hes a team guy, plays hard, gives 100%. If Im a GM ill have Biega as my 6/7 defenseman everytime. If Biega made 2.5 million a year then this trade would be a win for Benning, but at 850k a year this is a guy you keep.
You are taking into account his salary arent you? thats the key here. Judging by your post Im assuming you dont as you're asking the wrong questions.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's a a serviceable 6th defender and is paid as such 850k a year. Dont need him to put up top 4 production. He stepped in quite admirably last year when the D corp was hit with a rash of injuries. Hes a team guy, plays hard, gives 100%. If Im a GM ill have Biega as my 6/7 defenseman everytime. If Biega made 2.5 million a year then this trade would be a win for Benning, but at 850k a year this is a guy you keep.
You are taking into account his salary arent you? thats the key here. Judging by your post Im assuming you dont as you're asking the wrong questions.

I’ve been here long enough from over reaction.
No ones happy here, we traded a depth guy and the world is collapsing.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Ok put it this way. Go back to 2011...imagine trading Aaron Rome for garbage and relying on the likes of Oberg or Sauve just because we had a solid top 6?

Dude, how many times do I have to tell you, no trade matters, Benning is the best. Sheesh.

Reactions: mossey3535

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Brutal. Why are we doing Detroit favours? If we didn’t think there was room for beiga (which is insane because I think he’s proven he is a bottom pairing dman in the NHL, who gives 100 % every night) and has looked better than both stretcher and Benn in pre season, why not at least get a draft pick from them? If they wanted to move a contract, tell them you want more value or move on.
Dude. Nobody wanted him for free why would a team give up a draft pick? Think please

Reactions: Nucker101

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I hope Biega gets a real chance in Detroit, who should be able to recognize good defense, and makes this trade look worse than it already is.

Fire Benning Immediately. If you cant see he's never ever going to be able to build a contender you're sandra Bullock.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MS is (justifiably) going to lose his mind.

Not really. The stupid already happened when they didn’t realize what they had and then waived a guy better than multiple other defenders they’re keeping.

Happy to see he’s getting a chance elsewhere. He deserves it.

It is quite amusing after all the hand-wringing about defensive depth and injuries every single year under Benning that we now have left ourselves with the worst depth we’ve ever had.

Pope is just irrelevant garbage include to balance out contract slots.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
What a useless trade.

A team that regularly gets crushed by injuries, particularly on defense, trades great cheap depth defenseman.

We're a team that regularly dips into the 9-10th defender on our depth chart. Biega is better then a lot of what's left.

Pope will never play for the Canucks.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
This move was just Benning doing Biega a favour by finding him a potential NHL job. Same thing that Toronto did last year with Leivo.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Dude. Nobody wanted him for free why would a team give up a draft pick? Think please

Because other GMs know Benning has no negotation skills and can wait for Benning to either a) overpay for an asset or b) take on a crap player or contract slot to offload an asset.

This is Benning getting tunnel vision again. Signing Benn to a stupid contract and letting Biega go is on par with signing Schaller and letting last years cheap depth go (Gaunce). Good teams do not do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad