Confirmed Signing with Link: [VAN] D Ian Cole signs with the Canucks (1 year, $3M)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I don’t think you know too much about these players then. Cole in Tampa has amazing numbers. Shot suppression scoring chances against things like that, he excels. Ideally, he be a few years younger, but as long as he’s priced right, he is exactly what they need on the backend. Same with Soucy! 6 foot five,235 pound defenseman are what you need to beat people on the boards and break up the cycle. Big defense are part of championship teams. If these players play more defensive, minded games, making them good matches for Hughes and Hronek!
Yeah, they both would be significant upgrades over oel and moving myers down the line up

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Pius Suter would be a nice fit. He can play 3C and he can play up and down the lineup. He’s a very underrated, all around player.

I like the Soucey fit, and Cole isn’t bad at all. He’s obviously not long-term but he’s solid. As for Holl, he really is the RH Chiarot. He’s can carry the third pair and be solid. It’s when he plays in the top 4, he tries carrying the play and gets himself in trouble. Like Chiarot, if he ever would just play within himself, he can be a pretty good player. Sometimes it was the Leafs fault too. They put him in positions he shouldn’t have been put in. So it could work, but it could also go sideways.
I think that one of the best things that could have happened in Justin Holl's career would have been to have a heart to heart with Luke Schenn. Talk about what success can look like at an NHL level if you identify your strengths, and work to enhance them. If you are a big, dependable, RHD that coaches can trust enough to throw out on a consistent third pairing? You might not have the storybook career you want, but you will sign contract after contract after contract. Holl should really play to his strengths more often and the entire narrative around him would shift

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Cole was pretty good last year, he was also the main penalty killer .

Soucy has never been a top 4 before, so who knows how he’s going to be
Soucy filled in on the Top 4 for 10-15 games when he was with the Wild. He looked effective during that limited time. I would much rather have him over Middleton playing next to Spurgeon.

Reactions: Canucks LB

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Capfriendly showing the Ian Cole deal as two-way - that must be a mistake?

1688231795717.png

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Now keep saucy under 4 million, and 4 years.

And I can officially say the Benning era is over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad