Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
He has absolutely no clue how to scout defenders. Zilch.

Does not understand what skills are important and consistently overvalues obvious eye test ‘bonus’ skills like forward skating, hard shot, fighting skills, boards good boom over the actual core skills - which are much harder to notice and evaluate.

lol I still cannot believe they got Schmidt.

Reactions: Dab

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Bowey was a beast in the World Juniors. McDavid knows this guy, they won Gold with each other.

That Erne fight shows Bowey got taught fighting skills, rare nowadays. Bowey would have been available in free agency anyways, but at least he has an opportunity to take Hamonic's job beside Hughes or maybe Schmidt moves to LD.

Last edited:

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Mannn... I remember wanting Bowey back in a proposed trade to Washington for Hamhuis during his UFA year he was injured...

How time has flown.
Bowey with so many tools, but no toolbox. But I'm looking forward to seeing him on Canuck jersey.... Expectations are are low, but just maybe... Ok.. no. But maybe....

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Curb your enthusiasm:

Post from the Fippula in the Motor City: "Bowey is one of the worst defenceman I’ve ever seen. Genuinely clueless out there. I remember his Detroit debut he was awful, reckon he cost us a goal in his first shift. People put it down to nerves with a new organisation. Nope, he was just that bad."

Others echo this.

It would be great if he could turn it around but it seems he will be riding the pines.

Just the Nucks bleeding assets again, one transaction at a time.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Curb your enthusiasm:

Post from the Fippula in the Motor City: "Bowey is one of the worst defenceman I’ve ever seen. Genuinely clueless out there. I remember his Detroit debut he was awful, reckon he cost us a goal in his first shift. People put it down to nerves with a new organisation. Nope, he was just that bad."

Others echo this.

It would be great if he could turn it around but it seems he will be riding the pines.

Just the Nucks bleeding assets again, one transaction at a time.

even without Fippula mentioning it, I remember his name being on waivers multiple times. He wasn't good enough to even be a regular on a detroit red wings, a rebuiding team, he's literally a nobody for us.

I have no clue what Jim Benning is doing. Mike Giilis at least targeted players that have decent iq, and ethic, the guys we are targeting or Jim Bennings picked up in the past doesn't demonstrate any of that.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Eh, maybe try him in a fourth line role on the RW, limited minutes to lay the body on the forecheck. I really think all these moves are based on the playoffs (especially Vegas) and how the Canucks struggled with physicality. Gaudette was terrible, Stecher and Tanev were getting hammered unsustainably by the forecheckers, and Demko was lights out in Marky's absence.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Luca Sbisa, Derick Pouliot, Adam Clendening, Erik Gudbranson, Michael Del Zotto, Luke Schenn... add Madison Bowey.

List of former 1st or 2nd round pick defensemen Benning has acquired. He has to hit a home run sometime right?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I think you might have hit on the problem.....Benning looks at film of Bowey's career with the Kelowna Rockets and seems to block out the 'highlights' of his NHL career in Washington and Detroit.

He mentioned it again in his presser about the fact that he'd scouted Bowey in the WHL. It was the same rationale used to acquire guys like Pedan, Pouliot and Clendening.

They were good in junior, but in the NHL not so much.

Benning fits the Albert Einstein definition of insanity to a tee

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Luca Sbisa, Derick Pouliot, Adam Clendening, Erik Gudbranson, Michael Del Zotto, Luke Schenn... add Madison Bowey.

List of former 1st or 2nd round pick defensemen Benning has acquired. He has to hit a home run sometime right?
Yep, that's a murderer's row of d-men who were high draft picks, and basically flopped in the NHL or at the very least never scratched the surface of their draft potential....but not before they got one last last hurrah with the Canucks.

And the epitaph for every one of them is this comment from Jimbo: "We scouted them in junior, and really liked their games."

Dab

Apr 17, 2017

Add to that Vey, Goldobin, Granlund, Dahlen, Baertschi who were all 1st/2nd round picks at forward he traded for and you just have to shake your head.

Reactions: MarkMM

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Yep, that's a murderer's row of d-men who were high draft picks, and basically flopped in the NHL or at the very least never scratched the surface of their draft potential....but not before they got one last last hurrah with the Canucks.

And the epitaph for every one of them is this comment from Jimbo: "We scouted them in junior, and really liked their games."

He's continually looking to salvage obviously busted former #1 picks he liked 3-4 years back rather than trying to figure out which under-the-radar 'non-pedigree' young players might be on the verge of breaking through and might be worth a look. I doubt he had the slightest interest in Ross Colton but would be frothing at the idea of acquiring Nolan Patrick.

The thing with #1 picks is that they are virtually *never* late developers. I remember going through this exercise when we acquired Pouliot and it's nearly impossible to find former #1 picks who struggled badly, bottomed out in value ... and then magically turned into NHLers in their draft+6 or draft+6 season. These types of players are always given tons of rope and opportunities by the team that drafted them and put in every possible position to succeed and if they haven't ... they aren't going to. Your 'late bloomers' are virtually always late draft picks/UFA signings who figure things out and end up in positions to succeed later than their early-developing counterparts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!....based on those Youtube 'highlights' of the Habs 8-1 beat-down of the Wings, the Canucks better pray that the Kraken take a flyer on Bowey in the expansion draft.

Otherwise they've got another d-man earning $700,000-plus, playing out the last year of his contract in Utica next season.

I think that's the reason the Hawks unloaded him. He was acquired from the Wings to expose him in the expansion draft but they probably soon realized the Kraken wouldn't touch him either.....and they'd be stuck with his contract for another season.

But along comes Jimbo to ride to the rescue. And he throws in a fourth rounder for good measure, and only got back a fifth.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Coming out of the draft I liked Bowey. Don’t get why he hasn’t panned out.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Coming out of the draft I liked Bowey. Don’t get why he hasn’t panned out.

Same reason every defender with good tools who fails doesn't pan out - he simply doesn't have the hockey IQ and positional sense to play at this level and bleeds goals as a result.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rathbone and Woo are already better right-shot d-men than Bowey.

It's a complete mystery to me why Benning acquired him. If he was on expiring contract, and the Canucks could walk away from him as an RFA or UFA in the off-season, then OK.

But that second year on his contract is a killer imo. Perhaps a replacement for Woo in Utica?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Same reason every defender with good tools who fails doesn't pan out - he simply doesn't have the hockey IQ and positional sense to play at this level and bleeds goals as a result.
It’s like the Virtanen effect. Million dollar skills, but the hockey IQ just ain’t there. One of the guests on 650 this morning echoed what you said. Not specifically about Bowey, but that in general the high hockey IQ guys are the best players. No matter the skill/size, he wasn’t keen on the low hockey IQ guys.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's a complete mystery to me why Benning acquired him. If he was on expiring contract, and the Canucks could walk away from him as an RFA or UFA in the off-season, then OK.

But that second year on his contract is a killer imo. Perhaps a replacement for Woo in Utica?

Bowey is here purely for the expansion draft, and that 2nd year needed to exist in order to have a guy to meet exposure requirements.

Chicago thought ahead last summer and gave him the 2-year deal for this exact purpose (and then were able to sell at a profit when they had other guys they could expose) but Benning was caught with his pants down again and had to spend assets for something we should have acquired for free earlier.

It’s like the Virtanen effect. Million dollar skills, but the hockey IQ just ain’t there. One of the guests on 650 this morning echoed what you said. Not specifically about Bowey, but that in general the high hockey IQ guys are the best players. No matter the skill/size, he wasn’t keen on the low hockey IQ guys.

There is no such thing as a low-IQ, effective defender. It doesn't exist.

Forward is a bit different and there are a few winger types who can drive play with size and speed and a big motor even if they aren't that smart.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Bowey is here purely for the expansion draft, and that 2nd year needed to exist in order to have a guy to meet exposure requirements.

Chicago thought ahead last summer and gave him the 2-year deal for this exact purpose (and then were able to sell at a profit when they had other guys they could expose) but Benning was caught with his pants down again and had to spend assets for something we should have acquired for free earlier.

Forward is a bit different and there are a few winger types who can drive play with size and speed and a big motor even if they aren't that smart.
So there’s still a chance for Jake? :)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Wasn't it because of this....
"Of note: Bowey gives the club another defender that meets the D-man exposure requirements in expansion. Significantly enhances the club’s flexibility."

He most likely goes straight to the taxi squad.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

So he could protect Myers in the expansion draft.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

The Bone is a left shot guy. I guess he’s skilled and smart enough to play the right side though. Plus, yes he’s already way better than Bowey, regardless of handedness.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wasn't it because of this....
"Of note: Bowey gives the club another defender that meets the D-man exposure requirements in expansion. Significantly enhances the club’s flexibility."

He most likely goes straight to the taxi squad.
And then if not selected by Seattle to Utica for year two of his contract?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018

Did you actually listen to Jim describe him?

Didn't sound like it was purely for expansion, and I think he feels Bowey still has upside...but again, not sure if I'm allowed to believe what he says or if I'm supposed to blame ownership.

Reactions: VanillaCoke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad