Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CHI] Canucks acquire D Madison Bowey, 5th, in '21, for a 4th in '21

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
alt-5a8f2aef44513-4922-a8566d24a1fff9cf6b48b33664547e55@1x.jpg

Reactions: Dab

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
You can be big and fast and dumb as a forward but still be effective.

If you can’t think the game as a defender, you’re screwed. It’s basically impossible to be effective.
Or at least hide as a forward. Get exposed on D

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
The prototypical Jim Benning defender acquisition.

Nice tools, absolutely sucks.
I really have to give Jim credit, he's been focused on rebuilding the defense for 7 straight years and other than one year where the defense marginally improved via addition through subtraction, he has somehow managed to make it worse each and every year. Quite the feat to prove every year that there's no floor.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The new Sbisa. That is one ugly fancy stats chart. You can know zero about stats and still be like Damn that’s bad.

Reactions: xtra and elitepete

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I really have to give Jim credit, he's been focused on rebuilding the defense for 7 straight years and other than one year where the defense marginally improved, he has somehow managed to make it worse each and every year. Quite the feat to prove every year that there's no floor.

He has absolutely no clue how to scout defenders. Zilch.

Does not understand what skills are important and consistently overvalues obvious eye test ‘bonus’ skills like forward skating, hard shot, fighting skills, boards good boom over the actual core skills - which are much harder to notice and evaluate.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Not "solely" for the purpose of exposing Bowey. But, the Canucks must expose a player who satisfies the 27 games this year/54 games over last two years that has a current contract. Bowey does satisfy that requirement.

I don't think it matters whether Bowey is exposed or Myers (to be fair). I still think the options are Lind, Rafferty, or Holtby ...

Rafferty will be available to be chosen if the Canucks extend him, but otherwise he is an UFA.

Holtby is imo very, very unlikely to be chosen. Firstly, I expect him to be an UFA, in that it makes entirely too much sense for the Canucks to buy him out. Secondly, even if not bought out, that $5.7 million salary for next season combined with his mediocre play over the past four seasons make him imo extremely undesirable. I really can't see any reason to expect him to bounce back at the age of 32. Playing goal in the NHL isn't like it was during the days of Johnny Bower, Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, Gump Worsley, Charlie Hodge and Glenn Hall.

Reactions: Dab

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning must have used his 2013 draft notes for this savvy acquisition.
I think you might have hit on the problem.....Benning looks at film of Bowey's career with the Kelowna Rockets and seems to block out the 'highlights' of his NHL career in Washington and Detroit.

He mentioned it again in his presser about the fact that he'd scouted Bowey in the WHL. It was the same rationale used to acquire guys like Pedan, Pouliot and Clendening.

They were good in junior, but in the NHL not so much.

Reactions: CherryToke and Dab

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Basically Benning traded away some pick value so we had the ability to protect a negative-value Tyler Myers in the expansion draft.

Now, the difference between a 4th and a 5th in value isn't huge but it's the principle and also that WE'RE PROTECTING TYLER MYERS IN THE EXPANSION DRAFT. Ugh.

Did I miss something? Did Benning say he was protecting Myers in the expansion draft?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad