[VAN/CGY] Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You mean THEIR workout schedule? His own was pretty good as he hit the ice in Utica running and did not tire once. He was in tip top shape, was faster than the year before (finished second in the fastest skater comp. at the All-Star game and oh yeah was named to the AHL All-Star team), stronger on his skates (didn't get knocked down on every shift like the previous season, and scored at a very hot pace (highest goal scorer of his age and tied for 5th overall in the league). What a lousy result for such a poorly trained athlete.

Do all of the Canucks train in the same gym? I think not.

If they soured over this, they are even bigger idiots than I already take them to be.

BG thanks for leaving the friendly confines of the Utica thread. Great posts as usual.

I love how apologists for this trade just reflexively spout off whatever they can think of to try to prop up Benning's incompetence in this instance.

Nevermind that Hunter's trainer is also Crosby's trainer.

And also the trainer of: Nathan MacKinnon, Brad Marchand, Jason Spezza, Shawn Horcoff, Daniel Cleary, Andrew Bodnarchuk, Andrew Cogliano, Sam Gagner, Matt Duchene, James Sheppard, Hunter Shinkaruk, Andrew Gordon and Alex Grant. LINK LINK2

Look, this move is stupid.

Obtain Granlund in the summer for whatever round draft pick you want to get him for. Keep the trend going with those good trades he's done where he gets a former 1st for a 2nd. In this case you could see us getting Granlund for a 3rd if he kept that going.

Or get Granlund on waivers, which he was fated to be put on according to both Treliving and numerous CGY journalists.

If you can get a good return, I trade Shinkaruk everyday and twice on Sunday. It really is not about Shink. It is about being a competent GM and understanding organizational control and how that gives you leverage against other organizations or gives you cost certainty and flexibility with players you have.

But what we did was trade Shinkaruk for an asset who might have been gotten for free or minimal cost.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also, let's say McCann and Virtanen really benefit from this year and have a great training camp next year. Ditto for some other guys from Utica.

What if Granlund has a terrible camp and we have to put him on waivers? What if Boeser pulls a Hutton?

There is a distinct possibility we trade Shink for Granlund and then lose Granlund on waivers. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The fact that this eventuality has a non-zero probability is what makes this trade completely idiotic.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
But what we did was trade Shinkaruk for an asset who might have been gotten for free or minimal cost.

All true...however, Granlund's, umm, "upside" over Shink is that he might help us in some small way *this year*. Sadly that matters to Benning. (I'm not a tanker and am always against selling if the playoffs are a realistic possibility, but as of now they're not).

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Also, let's say McCann and Virtanen really benefit from this year and have a great training camp next year. Ditto for some other guys from Utica.

What if Granlund has a terrible camp and we have to put him on waivers? What if Boeser pulls a Hutton?

There is a distinct possibility we trade Shink for Granlund and then lose Granlund on waivers. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The fact that this eventuality has a non-zero probability is what makes this trade completely idiotic.

I am not surprised. Benning is the king of turning something into nothing.

2nd round pick for Vey
Vey is probably leaving soon judging by him being on the block

Kassian +5th for Prust
We are probably not resigning and we lost a 5th -> negative value

Can Benning go 3 for 3???

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Get used to seeing Granlund play his 200-foot game next season, no matter how he does in training camp....no way JB puts him on waivers next season to get him to Utica....well I guess that's one way to guarantee your spot on an NHL roster....just wait until Jimbo trades for you.:laugh:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I am not surprised. Benning is the king of turning something into nothing.

2nd round pick for Vey
Vey is probably leaving soon judging by him being on the block

Kassian +5th for Prust
We are probably not resigning and we lost a 5th -> negative value

Can Benning go 3 for 3???

Jim Copperfield Benning.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Now watch Calgary trade Hudler at the deadline, give Shinkaruk the callup and try him in that spot with Gaudreau-Monahan to finish the season.

Then trade Russell for a 2nd + 3rd while Benning gets another fringe waiver wire player for Hamhuis, might get lucky and get a late round pick if Benning's negotiates....... nvm

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
jim benning is either a total moron or a complete genius building a cup contender

he is rain man

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
So many contradictions with this move???

Can't score.....trade away your best natural goal scorer in your system
Want to get younger........get older.
Adding core pieces.......trade for a bottom feeders failed core piece.
Want to get faster..........get slower
Talk about game not translating..........Granlund has same size and strength issues without as good a goal scoring ability.
Need wingers.......get centres.

Might as well throw in a couple years of waiver time and screw Utica at the same time...

Idiotic

Joking right?
how did your best natural goal scorer did in the Stockton Heat debut?
i'll tell ya, 0+0 -2, 2 SOG and cherry on top;couldn't even score
in the shoot out

---

Except Granlund is bigger and stronger.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
jim benning is either a total moron or a complete genius building a cup contender

he is rain man

After his hiring and a few interviews some of us hoped he was a dull sounding genius like Daryl Sutter. Unfortunately this rain man can only dump the toothpicks on the floor with no hope to count them.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

So what you are asking is what happens if our young players turn into very good players? While Granlund sucks. What happens if Granlund plays great and Hunter never becomes an NHL player? There is a saying do not cry over spilt milk this is even worse. It is crying over the possibility of spilling milk.

van22

May 25, 2014
You mean THEIR workout schedule? His own was pretty good as he hit the ice in Utica running and did not tire once. He was in tip top shape, was faster than the year before (finished second in the fastest skater comp. at the All-Star game and oh yeah was named to the AHL All-Star team), stronger on his skates (didn't get knocked down on every shift like the previous season, and scored at a very hot pace (highest goal scorer of his age and tied for 5th overall in the league). What a lousy result for such a poorly trained athlete.

Do all of the Canucks train in the same gym? I think not.

If they soured over this, they are even bigger idiots than I already take them to be.

For whatever reason Benning did not see Shinkaruk as part of the future of this team. He even admitted that they they tried getting a D but found no trade partners so they settled for Granlund. That sounds like they really wanted to move on from Shinkaruk. Treliving said the deal goes back a number of months and that it picked up over the last few weeks. Botchford seems to think that it was even before last year's TDL that they tried to move him.

Given their view I think it's the fair thing to do for Shinkaruk - let him have an opportunity elsewhere as he wouldn't have gotten it in Vancouver.

As for the fastest skater at the AHL All-Star - he was first in the East ahead of a Syracuse player and Cal O'Reilly but was behind the three players in the West.

btw Benning did say that Green was consulted - I don't see why he would have brought up that information if Green was against the trade.

Last edited:

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
After his hiring and a few interviews some of us hoped he was a dull sounding genius like Daryl Sutter. Unfortunately this rain man can only dump the toothpicks on the floor with no hope to count them.

I donno man Bonino has 10 points in 40 games.

Seems to me Benning is smarter than you're average GM

add in Boesser and Demko breaking records

I just sdont know whow you come to your conclucsions

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Days later and I'm still so upset by this trade. I will continue to discuss the Canucks here with you guys but I'm not going to any games (although I don't anyway. Who wants to pay those prices??), I'm not WATCHING games on Sportsnet/CBC etc. and I'm not buying any merchandise.

I think we all need to have this attitude before things get even worse.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
Days later and I'm still so upset by this trade. I will continue to discuss the Canucks here with you guys but I'm not going to any games (although I don't anyway. Who wants to pay those prices??), I'm not WATCHING games on Sportsnet/CBC etc. and I'm not buying any merchandise.

I think we all need to have this attitude before things get even worse.

I just bought a retro jersey

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Joking right?
how did your best natural goal scorer did in the Stockton Heat debut?
i'll tell ya, 0+0 -2, 2 SOG and cherry on top;couldn't even score
in the shoot out

---

Except Granlund is bigger and stronger.

One game sample size on a new team? :laugh:

Granlund is the same size as Shinkaruk, but who needs facts right?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This one still makes me angry but I'm going to summarize my thoughts.
I can accept that management didn't see him as part of the future. I think it's wrong to trade a guy with his offensive upside and I disagree with their assessment but at least on some level I can understand that.

But, if you've made up your mind that you want to trade a player there is absolutely no excuse for not maximizing an asset's value. He was the leading scorer in Utica. Bring him up to the NHL and give him a decent shot. If he puts up some points in the NHL his value goes up. Heck, maybe even management reassesses their views (unlikely with this group but who knows).

They got below value return for a promising young forward because they didn't even give him a chance at the NHL. What a complete waste.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

he is rain man

Yep, it's going to be boom or bust with Jimbo...one thing you can say about the guy, is that he's a quick study on players....when he decides in his mind they can't play, they're gonzo...Benning's reputation will be built by the draft, rather than the seemingly endless swapping of late picks for some other team's prospects who've fallen out of favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad