[VAN/CGY] Hunter Shinkaruk for Markus Granlund - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
I doubt granlund is available if shink comes up and stinks in the nhl. It's possible shink comes up and holds his own but that's a big risk.

So? Currently Granlund is a replacement level player the types of who Vancouver already has in the system. Hell Vey and him are literally almost identical. Why did they need 2?

This team needs some gambles more than they need more Vey's. The team doesn't lack bottom 6 forwards, hell they have 15 of them already. The need snipers to replace the Sedins production. 2 36 year olds should not be any team's 1st line unless its men's rec 30+ beer league.

Yes he could turn out to be a huge bust, or he could turn out to be a 25-30 goal winger the Canucks desperately need. Funny thing, they didn't even bother to find out. He comes up for 15 games and doesn't cut it, oh look he has two more years of waiver eligibility. You send him down and try again next year. Or you package him into a bigger trade.

I doubt that 15 game stretch sours a team into NOT trading him for a pending waiver eligible RFA who probably gets the Very treatment next fall and they try and slide him back to the minors.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
A few days have passed, and I still don't know why we've done this. The best, best, we could hope for is us looking back and saying "well that was a useless trade". Two fringe NHL players who play better in the AHL.

Both players are unlikely to hit the ceiling that has been presented as the best they can do, but Shinkaruk making an NHL team will bring him closer to hitting that ceiling then Granlund playing bottom six minutes here (Sedin, Sutter, Horvat, McCann, Cracknell, Vey, Zalewski, Friesen and others have already played center for us this season, and getting around Horvat and Sedin for a top six spot is flat out impossible).

Worst case, we see Shinkaruk lighting us up 5 times a season + for the next 15 years.

Unless this is a Kassian situation, I can't see how this is justified, this is just an awful, awful, awful trade. The only silver lining is that Benning didn't include a third to "get it done".

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
The trade both eliminated my interest in the Canucks and the Comets for the rest of the season. No point getting attached to Subban or Gaunce in case Jimbo trades him for another failed Weisbrod pick.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The trade both eliminated my interest in the Canucks and the Comets for the rest of the season. No point getting attached to Subban or Gaunce in case Jimbo trades him for another failed Weisbrod pick.

Gaunce + Subban for Jankowski + Sieloff?

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver

really all there is now is to watch the standings and game results to see if they can be in a position to get a secured stud

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
No kidding.

The timing coincides with what you'd do if you were going to sell high ... but the phrase 'selling high' kind of implies that you sold ... high ... and got value back.

Granlund was a player on his way out in Calgary on the verge of becoming a Jordan Schroeder on waivers. He was maybe worth a 5th or 6th rounder at this point, and nobody would have batted an eye if he was traded for that tomorrow.

That 'talk' was from our management, who couldn't scout their way out of a paper bag.

Gaunce is back playing center in the AHL and lighting it up right now.

The notion that footspeed is more important that positional IQ for playing center in the NHL is absolute hogwash propagated by people in charge here who don't understand the sport.

Lol, speaking of hogwash, nice post. :laugh:

How do Vey, Granlund, McCann, Bonino, the Russian in the Q fit your "analysis"? The only centrr Benning has acquired that has plus level footspeed is Sutter. All the rest are IQ/skill first, raw tools second. Keep trying though.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
So many contradictions with this move???

Can't score.....trade away your best natural goal scorer in your system
Want to get younger........get older.
Adding core pieces.......trade for a bottom feeders failed core piece.
Want to get faster..........get slower
Talk about game not translating..........Granlund has same size and strength issues without as good a goal scoring ability.
Need wingers.......get centres.

Might as well throw in a couple years of waiver time and screw Utica at the same time...

Idiotic

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Ya I meant in the sense of not shopping him around.

Curious if the workout regimen he didn't do in the summer had anything to do with them being sour

You mean THEIR workout schedule? His own was pretty good as he hit the ice in Utica running and did not tire once. He was in tip top shape, was faster than the year before (finished second in the fastest skater comp. at the All-Star game and oh yeah was named to the AHL All-Star team), stronger on his skates (didn't get knocked down on every shift like the previous season, and scored at a very hot pace (highest goal scorer of his age and tied for 5th overall in the league). What a lousy result for such a poorly trained athlete.

Do all of the Canucks train in the same gym? I think not.

If they soured over this, they are even bigger idiots than I already take them to be.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Talk about game not translating..........Granlund has same size and strength issues without as good a goal scoring ability.

Might as well throw in a couple years of waiver time and screw Utica at the same time...

Idiotic
Is this the moment you join the darks side?

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

How do Vey, Granlund, McCann, Bonino, the Russian in the Q fit your "analysis"? The only centrr Benning has acquired that has plus level footspeed is Sutter. All the rest are IQ/skill first, raw tools second. Keep trying though.

Every second word out of Linden and Benning is "younger and faster". They have stated that 100x+ since the Flames beat them in the playoffs last year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

To be fair, trying to pick up patterns or logic out of this group is like trying to decipher the ramblings of an insane person. They also seem to have very different templates for what's expected of a big player vs. a small player, etc.

But it isn't hogwash. It was what the organization listed as the reason for the position switch.

Regardless, as someone who called him a natural center from his time in junior, disagreed with the position switch when it happened, and watched him struggle somewhat on the wing until - magically - now playing the best hockey of his career at center, it's hard to take criticism of my point of view very seriously. Benning was wrong. Again.

Idiotic

Pretty much. There's just no sense behind it.

A small bottom-6 center was literally the last thing this organization needed, aside from maybe another old goalie.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Can't McCann and Virtanen be assigned to Utica as soon as their junior teams seasons end? I haven't been following the Hitmen or Greyhounds particularly closely this year, but I doubt it is totally impossible one, or both, could see time in the AHL this season.

No they cannot.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You mean THEIR workout schedule? His own was pretty good as he hit the ice in Utica running and did not tire once. He was in tip top shape, was faster than the year before (finished second in the fastest skater comp. at the All-Star game and oh yeah was named to the AHL All-Star team), stronger on his skates (didn't get knocked down on every shift like the previous season, and scored at a very hot pace (highest goal scorer of his age and tied for 5th overall in the league). What a lousy result for such a poorly trained athlete.

Do all of the Canucks train in the same gym? I think not.

If they soured over this, they are even bigger idiots than I already take them to be.

Not one other player made the kind of leaps that Hunter did in a year. I couldn't believe how quickly they shipped him off to Utica without even giving him a glimmer of hope despite looking way stronger and faster at camp....his gains in production are evidence.

It's painful that this management group wouldn't call him up and give him a shot. 1 friggin game on the 4th line.....what a disaster.

NHL game going more to speed and skill......trade away speed and skill:thumbd:

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
So when everyone is healthy, where do we play him? Do we trade McCann? waive Cracknell? Waive him next year to get nothing for Shinkaruk?

McCaan - Comets next year.
Cracknell - UFA not - re-signed maybe traded at deadline to someone looking for depth

At the very least he could be the 13th forward then with Virtanen also possibly going to the AHL and Vrbata exiting as well. He can probably be qualified for under a mil.

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
really all there is now is to watch the standings and game results to see if they can be in a position to get a secured stud

Bennings trying to trade that pick for Loui Eriksson dont ya know? :laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not one other player made the kind of leaps that Hunter did in a year. I couldn't believe how quickly they shipped him off to Utica without even giving him a glimmer of hope despite looking way stronger and faster at camp....his gains in production are evidence.

It's painful that this management group wouldn't call him up and give him a shot. 1 friggin game on the 4th line.....what a disaster.

NHL game going more to speed and skill......trade away speed and skill:thumbd:

Now watch Calgary trade Hudler at the deadline, give Shinkaruk the callup and try him in that spot with Gaudreau-Monahan to finish the season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Now watch Calgary trade Hudler at the deadline, give Shinkaruk the callup and try him in that spot with Gaudreau-Monahan to finish the season.
It's exactly what's gonna happen. And next year hell score 20......book it.

Also stay cost controlled for another 5 yrs and fit the younger faster cheaper teams covet.

And us well spend 45-50 million on acquiring Lucic.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
It's exactly what's gonna happen. And next year hell score 20......book it.

Also stay cost controlled for another 5 yrs and fit the younger faster cheaper teams covet.

And us well spend 45-50 million on acquiring Lucic.

Probably. Although on Lucic everything i have read says that guy wants to resign with the Kings badly. He loves it there. His family loves it in LA.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Actually, if there's a common theme among Jimbo's acquisitions, it's that they mostly suck ass.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Probably. Although on Lucic everything i have read says that guy wants to resign with the Kings badly. He loves it there. His family loves it in LA.

There may have been a time when Lucic would have liked to come to Vancouver, but why would any prime UFA sign long term into this mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad