Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh for Kellan Tochkin and 4th

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
guess horvat/shinkaruk will get nine game stint and returned back to juniors. so van's centers are kesler/santorelli/hank/dalpe/richardson.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
There has to be something else going on here. Gillis has made some mistakes as GM of the Canucks but he's not dumb enough to spend a 4th on a player he could immediately lose on waivers.

maybe getting another defenseman? hence the open contract slot by trading tockhin?

JerkChicken

Jun 18, 2008
South Sound
where did you get that info?

Bob McKenzie tweeted about Dalpe's brother is playing for Penticton in the BCHL... so I looked him up and saw that his brother tweeted this:

Ben Dalpe ‏@Bdalps Wow pretty crazy news, brother traded to his childhood team the Vancouver Canucks!!!

Also, one my my work colleagues covers the WHL/OHL and he knows Dalpe. He told me the same thing.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I like this trade. Dalpe used to be a fairly highly regarded prospect. Welsh was a high-profile college UFA signing. Both are at least of call-up calibre. We ditch Tochkin who was a waste of a contract anyway.

A 4th for two guys who might be able to contribute to the NHL roster and will at least help Utica isn't bad.

I think Dalpe can play at the NHL level. This trade might signify that Shinkaruk and Horvat definitely aren't staying past the 9 games.

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
There has to be something else going on here. Gillis has made some mistakes as GM of the Canucks but he's not dumb enough to spend a 4th on a player he could immediately lose on waivers.

I mean, it just seems to me he'll be given a shot at sticking with the team, and I guess they think he's good enough to do that

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
About 15-20% of sticking as an NHL regular. About 8-10% as a top-6/top-4 player.
FWIW, looking at the history of this team's drafting since Gillis took over, not one of the players he's picked in the fourth round have become NHL regulars. Going a little further, the only player picked in the fourth round or later by Gillis since '08 who has even a remote chance of being an NHL regular is Frank Corrado.

So I don't really have an issue with trading a late 4th to Carolina for a couple warm bodies who can at least play at the AHL level. Plus it dumped the dead contract spot of Tochkin, who was a crap signing anyway.

TwoHeadedBoy

Dec 21, 2012
Hm, yeah, might be more like 12-15% hang around the NHL, 6-8% core players.

From my count, there has been about 30 players drafted in the 4th round between 2000 and 2008 that you could consider NHLers. That's 1 in 9 so I think you're pretty accurate.

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
so curious, would trading tochkin and a 4th for colborne from toronto have been a better return than dalpe and welsh? pretty sure toronto wouldn't have done that given the bad blood and how much higher calgary is expected to draft compared to vancouver, but still, wouldn't colborne have been a better trade target?

BrandonL

Jun 18, 2012
Not sure why some of you guys are so skeptical, the Canucks East Coast professional scouts have a pretty good track record over the past couple of years :laugh:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting tidbit is that Welsh is a former junior teammate of Kellan Lain with the Oakville Blades from 2007-09.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
This confuses me. He has to be a player for us, right? Not the Comets?

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
He's clearly staying on the NHL team.

Well yeah, but that doesn't seem very Gillis-like either. Given the risk of losing him on waivers, Dalpe is basically being given a spot here. I realize he's a good prospect so the idea of him sticking in the NHL isn't so farfetched, but it just seems a bit odd...

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Bob McKenzie tweeted about Dalpe's brother is playing for Penticton in the BCHL... so I looked him up and saw that his brother tweeted this:

Ben Dalpe ‏@Bdalps Wow pretty crazy news, brother traded to his childhood team the Vancouver Canucks!!!

Also, one my my work colleagues covers the WHL/OHL and he knows Dalpe. He told me the same thing.

Canucks implementing the "right of return".

Come home nuck fans wherever you may be. :laugh:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
If the Canucks are his childhood team then it feels like he might be motivated to give it 110%.

Some Carolina fans were talking about him being talented but not being able to piece it together at the NHL level. This motivation might be just what he needs.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Well yeah, but that doesn't seem very Gillis-like either. Given the risk of losing him on waivers, Dalpe is basically being given a spot here. I realize he's a good prospect so the idea of him sticking in the NHL isn't so farfetched, but it just seems a bit odd...

Same thing we did with Weise, which is one of Gillis' few good moves over the past couple years.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I'm guessing this moves Richardson to the wing, which I think is the position better suited for him anyway.

Agreed. I really hope Dalpe is our 3rd line centre though. For the first 9 games

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Hansen
Booth - Santorelli - Shinkaruk
Richardson - Dalpe - Weise

Don't see where Horvat fits in.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
If the Canucks are his childhood team then it feels like he might be motivated to give it 110%.

Some Carolina fans were talking about him being talented but not being able to piece it together at the NHL level. This motivation might be just what he needs.
no better motivation than having torts as your coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad