Confirmed with Link: [VAN/CAR] Zac Dalpe and Jeremy Welsh for Kellan Tochkin and 4th

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
I think the Comets will need him on a different line. Hamill and Dalpe will likely be the top 2 centres.

For some reason I thought he was a LW. I remember when him and Zach Boychuk played on a line together in Charlotte, did he just shift to the wing to play on a line with Boychuk?

Fa Ci La

Mar 2, 2012
Would Dalpe sticking around with the the canucks instead of being at Utica be that surprising? I mean, a trade at this particular time....

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Here is a breakdown of the deal from a Carolina perspective:

Jeremy Welsh is a non-entity. He's literally terrible. He was a highly regarded UDFA out of Union the year they went to the Frozen Four and he kicked in a few goals there, but his offensive game is non-existent. He's not incredibly physical and he doesn't skate incredibly well, he's just a big body. Carolina was enamored with him and due to our inability to draw UDFA talent, we had a handshake agreement to make his first contract two years with the second year being promised NHL money. $900k or thereabout. Carolina didn't want to pay his salary and he wasn't waiver eligible without it costing Carolina money. His value in this trade is negative, because what Vancouver will likely do is what Carolina would have done. Bury him in the AHL and hope maybe something catches. He's not a viable prospect.

Zac Dalpe is the reason for a 4th round pick. However, what is confusing about this is that Dalpe is waiver eligible for the first time season and it's possible that a team would be interested in claiming him if Vancouver waives him. He's a fairly upright skating winger with a fantastic shot and adequate speed. Right on the cusp of making an NHL impact, but he can't seem to find a role in Carolina that suits his game. I don't know why Vancouver makes this deal unless they intend to give Dalpe a shot in the NHL before waiving him or else they're paying a 4th round pick to take a headache away from Carolina named Welsh. Dalpe has been a dynamic forward in the AHL and has shown flashes of being able to carry that over in his brief NHL tenure. You will see Hurricanes fans saying he had a litany of chances to make an NHL impact, but in my interpretation those fans are incorrect. He wasn't given a consistent role and he needs to play with likeminded players offensively to be productive. It should be interesting to see what Vancouver plans for him.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
For some reason I thought he was a LW. I remember when him and Zach Boychuk played on a line together in Charlotte, did he just shift to the wing to play on a line with Boychuk?

According to Bob McKenzie, he played a lot of wing for Charlotte but is a natural centre and played centre during his college career at OSU. You can bet the Comets are at least going to try him at centre, given the need.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Here is a breakdown of the deal from a Carolina perspective:

Jeremy Welsh is a non-entity. He's literally terrible. He was a highly regarded UDFA out of Union the year they went to the Frozen Four and he kicked in a few goals there, but his offensive game is non-existent. He's not incredibly physical and he doesn't skate incredibly well, he's just a big body. Carolina was enamored with him and due to our inability to draw UDFA talent, we had a handshake agreement to make his first contract two years with the second year being promised NHL money. $900k or thereabout. Carolina didn't want to pay his salary and he wasn't waiver eligible without it costing Carolina money. His value in this trade is negative, because what Vancouver will likely do is what Carolina would have done. Bury him in the AHL and hope maybe something catches. He's not a viable prospect.

Zac Dalpe is the reason for a 4th round pick. However, what is confusing about this is that Dalpe is waiver eligible for the first time season and it's possible that a team would be interested in claiming him if Vancouver waives him. He's a fairly upright skating winger with a fantastic shot and adequate speed. Right on the cusp of making an NHL impact, but he can't seem to find a role in Carolina that suits his game. I don't know why Vancouver makes this deal unless they intend to give Dalpe a shot in the NHL before waiving him or else they're paying a 4th round pick to take a headache away from Carolina named Welsh. Dalpe has been a dynamic forward in the AHL and has shown flashes of being able to carry that over in his brief NHL tenure. You will see Hurricanes fans saying he had a litany of chances to make an NHL impact, but in my interpretation those fans are incorrect. He wasn't given a consistent role and he needs to play with likeminded players offensively to be productive. It should be interesting to see what Vancouver plans for him.
Really appreciate this, thanks.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site

Dalpe plays wing. I can't remember the last time he played center professionally. A lot of these scouting reports are a bit outdated. He's a winger, pure and simple.

Wetcoaster

Would Dalpe sticking around with the the canucks instead of being at Utica be that surprising? I mean, a trade at this particular time....
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m
Dalpe will get chance to play C in VAN. Had been W and C in CAR, lot of W. Natural C at OSU. Guessing Welsh is Utica bound.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bizarre trade.

Can anyone confirm whether both have cleared waivers already?

Tochkin is just in the deal to make the contract slots work. The deal is Dalpe and Walsh for a 4th.

Seems like we're giving away a pick because we didn't make good enough depth signings during the offseason.

I don't know a thing about Welsh.

Dalpe is a guy who has been a decently touted scoring prospect with a good shot who hasn't been able to make the jump to the next level. Not sure whether he's been acquired for the NHL club or to add to AHL scoring depth at this point.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Awesome trade we got a Vancouver boy dalpe for nothing!

Edit : he's a die hard Canucks fan just guessing he's from here lol

Wetcoaster

THN scouting report:

SCOUTING REPORT

Assets: Has loads of scoring upside and the versatilty to play both center and wing effectively. Is a good shooter and passer, and has good speed. Displays good energy.

Flaws: Needs to add more bulk and become a more assertive physical player in order to maximize his overall potential. Also needs to continue refining his defensive game.

Career Potential: Talented forward with versatility and upside.​
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?6662

TwoHeadedBoy

Dec 21, 2012
Interesting. I expect Horvat to be sent back to junior now. I imagine Dalpe will be given a chance as the number 3 center with Schroeder out to injury.

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
Interesting. I expect Horvat to be sent back to junior now. I imagine Dalpe will be given a chance as the number 3 center with Schroeder out to injury.

don't see it since he had not play a single game in a canucks uniform and Santorelli Richardson and even Horvat is likely ahead of him?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
1. Dalpe has not cleared waivers. He has never been waived before. This is the first camp he would have to clear and he was never demoted.

2. Dalpe did play in the preseason this year but to mixed reviews. Many expected him to step up and really claim a spot, but he was bested by low risk signings like Nathan Gerbe and PTO Radek Dvorak, who both have a ton of NHL experience. Carolina didn't want to lose him for nothing and thus the trade.

3. Interesting that Vancouver wants to try him at C, because his main weaknesses in the NHL have been strength and initiation of physical contact. I'm not sure how adept he is at draws considering he hasn't played C for some time.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Anyone know the statistical probability of a fourth rounder making the NHL?

About 15-20% of sticking as an NHL regular. About 8-10% as a top-6/top-4 player.

So sounds like Dalpe is acquired for the NHL team.

Not really a traditional center in that he's more of a shooter than a passer. Will be interesting to see what happens.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
About 15-20% of sticking as an NHL regular. About 8-10% as a top-6/top-4 player.

So sounds like Dalpe is acquired for the NHL team.

Not really a traditional center in that he's more of a shooter than a passer. Will be interesting to see what happens.
that sounds awfully high

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
1. Dalpe has not cleared waivers. He has never been waived before. This is the first camp he would have to clear and he was never demoted.

2. Dalpe did play in the preseason this year but to mixed reviews. Many expected him to step up and really claim a spot, but he was bested by low risk signings like Nathan Gerbe and PTO Radek Dvorak, who both have a ton of NHL experience. Carolina didn't want to lose him for nothing and thus the trade.

3. Interesting that Vancouver wants to try him at C, because his main weaknesses in the NHL have been strength and initiation of physical contact. I'm not sure how adept he is at draws considering he hasn't played C for some time.

There has to be something else going on here. Gillis has made some mistakes as GM of the Canucks but he's not dumb enough to spend a 4th on a player he could immediately lose on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad