Proposal: VAN - BUF (2021 Offseason)

Wandering Cynic

Dec 2, 2011
Parts Unknown
To Vancouver:
Rasmus Ristolainen (With extension in place)

To Buffalo:
Nate Schmidt
3rd round draft pick

Why Vancouver does this: The Canucks are incredibly soft on defense, and Ristolainen provides a physical presence while being a solid top-four defender. He's fallen off this season, but a lot of it may have to do with being disengaged as a Sabre. I think he would be an excellent long-term fit next to the smaller d-men on the left side (Hughes and Rathbone). He'll likely also be more engaged on a fast-paced Canucks team that will be poised to break out next season.

Why Buffalo does this: The Sabres are going to need a direct replacement for Ristolainen, as it's unlikely that they will go full rebuild, until Eichel is traded. It's also unlikely that Ristolainen re-signs in Buffalo, based on his recent comments about the team, as well as the current direction of the organization. Schmidt is a solid top-four defenseman, who is signed for 4 more years. He's a left-handed shot who can play on the right-side, which adds more versatility to Buffalo's defense.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Risto isn't great but Buffalo is far worse having him than Schmidt. Buffalo lacks rock steady dmen, Schmidt doesn't give them that.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Risto isn't great but Buffalo is far worse having him than Schmidt. Buffalo lacks rock steady dmen, Schmidt doesn't give them that.
Risto sucks, replace his physical and dumb acting with guys like Borgen and Samuelsson. Stop waiting for a miracle from Risto, he must leave this team.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Vancouver's right side is probably going to be good enough with Hamonic (signed with NMC and there's reports he doesn't want to leave), Schmidt and Myers (both of whom were overpriced upon arrival but have steadied their play). Meanwhile, Risto's probably good as an offense-first option but he's too mistake-prone that he'd add another defensive liability on what's been an error-prone unit. I wouldn't put it past Schmidt to find his Vegas/ Capitals form again and to solidify things in Vancouver, while Risto likely won't be able to in his own end.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

..... Isn't that exactly what Schmidt is known to bring to the table? I'll admit he had a slow start to the year, but our entire team was a tire fire and led the league in goals against through that period as well. Since then, Schmidt has been great, and has been a great presence on the blue line.

I don't think this is the type of deal the Canucks need to make. Schmidt eats up all of our top shut down minutes, trading him for a defender that is average in that category doesn't seem like the answer.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I am lost on many posters over valuing Schmidt.
He is a 30 point defenceman on good teams, teams that could have inflated his stats.
@6 million a year until he is almost 34 with a clause contract is just another over paid #4 dman.
He has done nothing in Vancouver to warrant such loyalty or attachment, Vegas didn't even want him after he got his big contract.
It isn't like Benning shopped for HIM. Vegas was not in cap trouble and didn't have to shed salary.
They wanted Pietrangelo so they looked around to see where they could shed salary to make room and there is Vancouver, they just let Tanev, Stecher and Fantenberg walk away leaving them in dire need of defencemen.
To insure they shed this money fast they offer up their 4 highest contract, the highest paid defenceman they have for a pittance, so the deal gets done fast and they can complete their upgrade.
So he was cap relief for Vegas.

He is not a horrible defenceman but his 6 million cap hit will become onerous, he is on par with Myers and most fans think he has a bad deal.

Reactions: HogtownSabresfan

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
To Vancouver:

To Buffalo:
Nate Schmidt
3rd round draft pick

Why Vancouver does this: The Canucks are incredibly soft on defense, and Ristolainen provides a physical presence while being a solid top-four defender. He's fallen off this season, but a lot of it may have to do with being disengaged as a Sabre. I think he would be an excellent long-term fit next to the smaller d-men on the left side (Hughes and Rathbone). He'll likely also be more engaged on a fast-paced Canucks team that will be poised to break out next season.

Why Buffalo does this: The Sabres are going to need a direct replacement for Ristolainen, as it's unlikely that they will go full rebuild, until Eichel is traded. It's also unlikely that Ristolainen re-signs in Buffalo, based on his recent comments about the team, as well as the current direction of the organization. Schmidt is a solid top-four defenseman, who is signed for 4 more years. He's a left-handed shot who can play on the right-side, which adds more versatility to Buffalo's defense.

Sabres must have a sign out saying give us more bad cap hits.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Schmidt's overall game is very good. He is better than Risto

He's $6 M and signed for four more years in shrinking cap world. He's 29 and declining. Risto is signed for one year and is 26. I don't think anyone would pick up Schmidt if he was waved based on length of contract -- that's a big deal today. And overall, Risto's game is just as good on a team that is the worst in the NHL by a country mile.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
To Vancouver:

To Buffalo:
Nate Schmidt
3rd round draft pick

No thanks. Simple as that, I think Schmidt is a decent defensemen, but this doesn't do much of anything for us.

Burnaby Schmo

Jan 23, 2021
Schmidt is fine, and I'd rather have a slightly better than average defenseman at a slightly higher than deserved pay and eventually see what happens with him when Baumgartner is jettisoned, than sell picks and roll the dice on Risto.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Vancouver says no to losing Schmidt but I'd be happy to add Risto for other assets. Not sure we have what Sabres would want though.

Ristolainen is just not good. He's not folks. If you want Tyler Myers 2.0, have at er.

Schmidt is the Canucks best defenseman (not that is says much lol). If they're going to trade him, the team is going into a full-fledged rebuild. If that's the case, we need futures. Not younger Tyler Myers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad