Confirmed Trade: [VAN/BOS] F Jack Studnicka for G Michael DiPietro and D Jonathan Myrenberg

cc

Feb 28, 2002
As a Canucks fan, I wasn't pleased with the trade at all. It seemed like too much to give up for a stalled prospect

I'm not ready to write off Dipietro like so many others are. A lot of goalies develop later in their careers. There is so much of a mental aspect to the game that it wouldn't surprise me for him to figure things out later on.

He was measured at 6'0 202 lbs at the draft combine back then which while short, is not unheard of. Shorter goalies have found success including Tim Thomas who possessed a similar frame. Mikey also has a combative competitive nature to his game which is also reminiscent to Thomas but we'll see if their comparisons end up stopping short there

That being said, I do think he needed a fresh start as I believe that the organization has lost faith in him and vice versa so I acknowledge that he needed to be moved.

Myrenberg was the biggest piece from the Canucks perspective. He looked very promising from what I've seen. Other than gaining strength and adapting to the speed of the game, I haven't heard about things he needs to work on. From reports, he is a smart mobile dman with size and who can move the puck well who is a RHD to boot. I think if you draft a promising RHD prospect you should keep them and not lose them for a shorter term band-aid fix IMO. Very much a Benning type of move

I admit, I don't know much about Studnicka other than it looks like his development has stalled. I don't know why the Canucks organization are so confident in their ability to develop younger players over other teams. It's not like the Canucks have a reputation of giving younger players a longer leash to develop when they seem to be in a win now mode. I see more of a chance at a bigger pay off for the Bruins than the Canucks but we'll see. It could end up being a nothing trade for both sides.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
I think Monty hated him even more than the fans.

Monty's disapproval was the kiss of death.

Time will tell if it's founded.

I think Studnicka if given a fair shot can be an NHL player. Up to him on how impactful though. With limited chances in Boston, his NHL play was pretty underwhelming. That said, his leash was shorter than notably some higher paid vets that struggled. So good buy low, low risk move for Vancouver.
Yeah I just mean he was never really put in a spot to give him a solid chance.
I know those are earned & not given but think he at least earned that shot to play ~5 games in a row letting him learn from his mistakes/get in a groove
Tough to do that playing 8mins a night

B’s lack of C prospects is worrisome every year there’s a chance Charlie Coyle will be your number #1 centre when he’s an ideal 3rd line C

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
As a Canucks fan, I wasn't pleased with the trade at all. It seemed like too much to give up for a stalled prospect

I'm not ready to write off Dipietro like so many others are. A lot of goalies develop later in their careers. There is so much of a mental aspect to the game that it wouldn't surprise me for him to figure things out later on.

He was measured at 6'0 202 lbs at the draft combine back then which while short, is not unheard of. Shorter goalies have found success including Tim Thomas who possessed a similar frame. Mikey also has a combative competitive nature to his game which is also reminiscent to Thomas but we'll see if their comparisons end up stopping short there

That being said, I do think he needed a fresh start as I believe that the organization has lost faith in him and vice versa so I acknowledge that he needed to be moved.

Myrenberg was the biggest piece from the Canucks perspective. He looked very promising from what I've seen. Other than gaining strength and adapting to the speed of the game, I haven't heard about things he needs to work on. From reports, he is a smart mobile dman with size and who can move the puck well who is a RHD to boot. I think if you draft a promising RHD prospect you should keep them and not lose them for a shorter term band-aid fix IMO. Very much a Benning type of move

I admit, I don't know much about Studnicka other than it looks like his development has stalled. I don't know why the Canucks organization are so confident in their ability to develop younger players over other teams. It's not like the Canucks have a reputation of giving younger players a longer leash to develop when they seem to be in a win now mode. I see more of a chance at a bigger pay off for the Bruins than the Canucks but we'll see. It could end up being a nothing trade for both sides.
Both players are the same age lol how is one a stalled prospect but the other isn't? Diepetro has been below average in the AHL and nothing shows the view point that he still has upside if your gonna sit there and say Studnicka does not.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Bruins fans feel free to correct me because I certainly don't know this for sure.

I feel like what happens sometimes with certain prospects is that they go to teams that are really lacking in the position they play, and as a result what happens is the hype machine gets going a little, and the media starts talking, and suddenly a prospect who was never really going to be an answer all around is being touted a little more highly than he should. So naturally they play closer to actual expectations (or below), and suddenly the pressure they feel is so much greater because they were being hyped more than they should have.

It's actually similar to what's happening with Myrenberg here a bit. Is he a fine prospect? Probably. Does he have some potential? Probably. Is he probably more hyped than he should be simply because of the crater size dearth of RHD prospects in the system? Definitely.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Both players are the same age lol how is one a stalled prospect but the other isn't? Diepetro has been below average in the AHL and nothing shows the view point that he still has upside if your gonna sit there and say Studnicka does not.
no one is arguing that Dipietro is not a stalled prospect. If it was one for one, I would say that it was a fair trade. They added a promising younger RHD prospect which I think is too much to include. If it was someone like Jett Woo and Dipietro, that would have even made more sense to me.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Bruins fans feel free to correct me because I certainly don't know this for sure.

I feel like what happens sometimes with certain prospects is that they go to teams that are really lacking in the position they play, and as a result what happens is the hype machine gets going a little, and the media starts talking, and suddenly a prospect who was never really going to be an answer all around is being touted a little more highly than he should. So naturally they play closer to actual expectations (or below), and suddenly the pressure they feel is so much greater because they were being hyped more than they should have.

It's actually similar to what's happening with Myrenberg here a bit. Is he a fine prospect? Probably. Does he have some potential? Probably. Is he probably more hyped than he should be simply because of the crater size dearth of RHD prospects in the system? Definitely.

Studnicka's last season in junior he made team Canada and put up very good numbers after getting traded to Niagara. His first year in the AHL he finished only behind the Ottawa duo of Norris and Formenton for 3rd in rookie points. 4th in goals for rookies behind the Ottawa duo and Jason Robertson. He led Providence in goals and assists and had 10 more points than 2nd place. He also led the league in short handed goals with 7.

I think he was a very good prospect on his own merits.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Studnicka's last season in junior he made team Canada and put up very good numbers after getting traded to Niagara. His first year in the AHL he finished only behind the Ottawa duo of Norris and Formenton for 3rd in rookie points. 4th in goals for rookies behind the Ottawa duo and Jason Robertson. He led Providence in goals and assists and had 10 more points than 2nd place. He also led the league in short handed goals with 7.

I think he was a very good prospect on his own merits.

He played well enough to make the team last year, but not enough to lose guys on waivers. This year it was hard to see where he fit once Bergeron and Krejci came back. Lots of excuses. None of them change the fact that he didn’t really get better at the AHL level
after his rookie season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2