Confirmed Trade: [VAN/BOS] F Jack Studnicka for G Michael DiPietro and D Jonathan Myrenberg

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I mean 999 times out of 1000 trading lottery picks for a dollar makes sense.....I just wish the Canucks would make a deal that made ore than a dollar, but alas.....

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
who also needs to clear waivers, if Canucks ever get healthy not sure if he can beat out other forwards so might get lost on waivers later this year.

Odd trade by Vancouver, new GM seems to not understand we need D not F...
We seem to be dropping 2 players each game. We need both Forwards and Defence

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Goalies take years

Not only do they take years, but because of that, it's a position where you want to make sure you've always at least got some sort of project on the go. To shore up organizational depth. No matter how "locked in" you are on your two NHL goaltenders. You always want extra layers of depth there, and stuff simmering on the backburner for when you need it.

It's also a weird position where you have pretty limited development slots. You can only really have so many developmental projects going at a time. So any time you're not taking advantage of one of those spots with a project, it's a wasted opportunity cost.

Reactions: MessierII

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Canucks want to play Miller with Pettersson cause it's guaranteed scoring, but they need to force internal competition and pressure in the middle-bottom six center positions to be able to some what offset Miller's or Petterson's absence at C on the second/third line.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Heck yeah. I like this deal.

It's hardly the "big shakeup" i'm sure most fans were hoping for, but i like Studnicka as a change of scenery candidate. Didn't think we'd get...anything at all for DiPietro tbh. Good for him though, he also badly needed a new situation. Though i guess Myrenberg is probably the more important piece here anyway. :laugh:

Canucks could use a little bit of extra depth at Center, even if Studnicka is nothing more than 4th line filler. Even as a winger, doesn't hurt to have a guy like that with at least a little bit of potential untapped upside, and hungry to make good on a new opportunity.
I think Stud won a "fastest skater" skills contest a couple of years ago before the AHL All-Star game.
IMO Cassidy ruined his confidence when Capt Jack had a great 2021 preseason but still didn't make the squad because Sweeney went and got free agents Haula, Lazar, and Nosek. If Studs gets his confidence back I think he can be something for the Canucks, I hope so anyway.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't like it as a Bruins fan. They don't have a lot of NHL ready talent at forward in that age group so I don't see the rationale in moving Studnicka. Reads to me like he asked out for more opportunity.

Reactions: banks

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
he wasnt waiver exempt anymore. He wouldve been claimed on waivers. So Bruins figured might as well get something for him.

Kid just couldnt replicate in Boston what he’s done in Providence. Great kid though. Hopefully the change will help him.
What'd he do in Providence? His AHL stats don't exactly jump off the page.

Don't like it as a Bruins fan. They don't have a lot of NHL ready talent at forward in that age group so I don't see the rationale in moving Studnicka. Reads to me like he asked out for more opportunity.
Dude was trending towards being a bust. Has been outplayed by other options. I'm just glad we got an asset for him because otherwise he was getting waived and going for nothing.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think Stud won a "fastest skater" skills contest a couple of years ago before the AHL All-Star game.
IMO Cassidy ruined his confidence when Capt Jack had a great 2021 preseason but still didn't make the squad because Sweeney went and got free agents Haula, Lazar, and Nosek. If Studs gets his confidence back I think he can be something for the Canucks, I hope so anyway.

Weird. Not that those skills contest "fastest skater" things really mean anything at all. But i've never really thought of Studnicka as a burner. Not that he isn't a solid skater either, but his speed has never really leapt off the ice to me. Just getting some more "decent" speed is a real plus for the Canucks though anyway. They've got way too many slow players, particularly up front. Frankly, Mikheyev is the only guy in the Top-9 that is actually a "fast" player. The rest are literally all ranging from the lower end of "average" to downright "slugs". Lazar can scoot, and Aman has some wheels for the 4th line contingent, but anything resembling speed up front is obviously very welcome for the Canucks.

Mike Reilly would probably look great on the Canucks blueline.

Has Mike Reilly ever looked great, or even decent anywhere other than Boston?

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Was he about to go on waivers from Boston POV? We’re literally last in waiver priority to claim him lol.

Age gap trade - let’s hope it pans out (don’t we all love those)

Reactions: TheUnusedCrayon

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
This is a weird trade...

Myrenburg looks to be a defensive right handed dman with some size, which I thought was Vancouver's biggest need....He was only drafted a year ago, albeit mid round guy.

But they better not be wrong on him or this could bite them in the arse.

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I really like Studnicka and was hoping he would work out in Boston. Unfortunately he just hasn’t shown he is skilled enough for the top 6 or big and strong enough for the bottom 6.

Even worst case the Bruins lose Bergeron and Krejci in the off-season and don’t sign a big UFA I could see them going with some combination of Coyle, Zacha, Frederic, Beecher, Merkulov even if they still had Studnicka.

It’s funny everyone has been talking about these two teams trading from their strengths in a Horvot for Carlo deal and they end up doing the exact opposite. Haha. I do think it’s a good fair deal for both sides though and wish Jack the best of luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad