VALUE of players for trade???

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Everyone has an opinion of what their players are worth through rose coloured glasses but what is their true value at the time of the trade may leave fans screaming highway robbery.

I'll take a stab at my team:

Brown
I think Brown should bring back an '01 player and 2-2nds, and a couple of conditional picks for a 1.6 ppg player.

Luchuk
Second in scoring but being an OA is tough. He is offensively and defensively sound and has proven to be able to put up numbers on a first line or a checking line. I think he should command an '00 player and 2-2nds. I think his value should be just under the Cirelli deal minus the conditional picks but others won't see it that way.

Day
I thought Day was worth 2-2nds & 1-3rd (we acquired him for basically 2-2nds) for a puck moving D but after what Flint gave up for Mattinen, I would add another 2nd which won't happen. Then again it is London once again pulling the wool over GM's eyes.
scenario: Branches at the dinner table.
BB: Dad I am thinking of trading for Mattinen from London and would like give them 2-2nds. What do you think?
DB: Son that is a fair trade but we are talking about London so why don't you add 2-3rds.
BB: Are you sure? That seems to be an overpayment.
DB: OK make one of the 3rds a conditional pick.
BB: Seems fair. Where do I sign.

DiPietro
I would like to see him traded this year opposed to what others may think and the skies the limit with this kid. He has stolen games outright and would be worth an '01 & '00 players plus 3-2nds or an '01 player and 5-2nds.

Your thoughts on your team.

Reactions: OHLTG

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Dipietro would def be Windsor's best asset to trade if needed. I can see lots of teams giving generous offers to Windsor if they made him available.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If DiPietro makes Team Canada has shows well, maybe I could see him going for something close to what you are suggesting but an ‘01 for a goalie will be tremendously tough for any team to swallow. Most teams are “fine enough” in net to not have to go that route.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Windsor might have an easier time training DiPietro at this trade deadline then next. I'm not saying there isn't anyone who wouldn't deal for him in the off-season or next year, but right now today Kitchener and Owen Sound are two contenders who's goaltending are in a shambles. If these teams go into the playoffs with their current goaltending, their seasons are done. Therefore, Windsor might be able to reap the rewards of a bidding war for DiPietro services this year.

That may not be the case next year because whoever the contenders may be may be happy enough with their goaltending and may not want to pay a steep price for DiPietro. History is shown that goaltenders, even high end goaltenders, don't bring in as much in return as many think they should - especially when you compare them to forwards and defenceman of equal caliber.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Everyone has an opinion of what their players are worth through rose coloured glasses but what is their true value at the time of the trade may leave fans screaming highway robbery.

I'll take a stab at my team:

Brown
I think Brown should bring back an '01 player and 2-2nds, and a couple of conditional picks for a 1.6 ppg player.

Luchuk
Second in scoring but being an OA is tough. He is offensively and defensively sound and has proven to be able to put up numbers on a first line or a checking line. I think he should command an '00 player and 2-2nds. I think his value should be just under the Cirelli deal minus the conditional picks but others won't see it that way.

Day
I thought Day was worth 2-2nds & 1-3rd (we acquired him for basically 2-2nds) for a puck moving D but after what Flint gave up for Mattinen, I would add another 2nd which won't happen. Then again it is London once again pulling the wool over GM's eyes.
scenario: Branches at the dinner table.
BB: Dad I am thinking of trading for Mattinen from London and would like give them 2-2nds. What do you think?
DB: Son that is a fair trade but we are talking about London so why don't you add 2-3rds.
BB: Are you sure? That seems to be an overpayment.
DB: OK make one of the 3rds a conditional pick.
BB: Seems fair. Where do I sign.

DiPietro
I would like to see him traded this year opposed to what others may think and the skies the limit with this kid. He has stolen games outright and would be worth an '01 & '00 players plus 3-2nds or an '01 player and 5-2nds.

Your thoughts on your team.

It's all based on precedent. Luchuk won't go for a Cirelli package (a rookie 1st rounder+picks) because it just doesn't happen for half a season of an OA. Brown/Raddysh deals will be framed like the Cirelli/Stephens ones I'm sure because they're more similar (WJ players and dominant OHL guys). For a Luchuk deal, I'd look more at the Warren Foegele deal (a good sophomore player and a 3rd round pick).

But at the end of the day, a players worth is what 1 GM is willing to pay for him. 18 GM's would've said there's no way I'm giving you 4 2nds and a 3rd for Chris Paquette but PBO said yes, so that's what Paquette was worth

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
It's all based on precedent. Luchuk won't go for a Cirelli package (a rookie 1st rounder+picks) because it just doesn't happen for half a season of an OA. Brown/Raddysh deals will be framed like the Cirelli/Stephens ones I'm sure because they're more similar (WJ players and dominant OHL guys). For a Luchuk deal, I'd look more at the Warren Foegele deal (a good sophomore player and a 3rd round pick).

But at the end of the day, a players worth is what 1 GM is willing to pay for him. 18 GM's would've said there's no way I'm giving you 4 2nds and a 3rd for Chris Paquette but PBO said yes, so that's what Paquette was worth
With the number of teams in the hunt, I wouldn't be surprised to see bidding wars with outrageous prices this year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While goaltenders may have less value than forwards or D in trades, DiPietro isnt a normal goaltender. I'll be very interested to hear what he would command v. what Windsor would accept.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With the number of teams in the hunt, I wouldn't be surprised to see bidding wars with outrageous prices this year.

Teams won’t pay more than they are comfortable paying. Simple as that. If you think 6 teams are going to bid each other through the roof, you are mistaken.

I think prices are generally established and teams will trade with partners they are usually comfortable trading with at that fair value.

Every year it seems prices do go up slightly and every year there seems to be one deal that make people question the outrageous value so maybe one guy goes for a silly price (usually not one of the top 3 - Last year it was probably Korostelev to PEterborough that was an eye opener). But, generally speaking, you will see something normal.

The only outlier may be DiPietro because he is 18. You may see him go for something significantly more than most goalies. But, that will depend on whether teams like Kingston are in the mix and if they make a guy like Helvig available.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Korostelev and Black for Grima, 3(2nds), 2(3rds) may have been the best buy last season.
Two part deals, notwithstanding

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Korostelev and Black for Grima, 3(2nds), 2(3rds) may have been the best buy last season.

But would it have been if he didn't return as an OA?

In hindsight, it wasn’t a bad deal. But, at the time of the trade, the Petes traded a half a point per game 17 year old D-Man and five strong picks for a point per game forward and a #5-6 D-Man.

If Korostelev didn’t return as an OA this year, I think that deal would have been horrid. As well, Grima has not produced near the same level with Sarnia that he did with the Petes so it looks like his numbers were inflated based on situation and a small sample size.

With that same package, London got Stephens. Stephens is a far superior player to Korostelev. The difference being that London traded an additional 2nd instead of the 1999 born player (picked as a 2nd rounder). Black’s value wasn’t worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick so maybe there was some additional comp going the Petes way there but not enough to tip the balance of the deal.

Again, Korostelev is an OA and Stephens is gone so it really makes a difference this year but not many thought Korostelev would stick as an OA.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
If london sells and Mete is returned what would his value be
If Mete is returned, he is basically a rental player as he won't be back for an OA year. Sarnia or Kitchener should make a move for him. I would think a 2-2nds and 1-3rd similar to Day unless they can trade him to Flint.:sarcasm: Question: do you think he would waive his NTC since he basically hand picked London.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But would it have been if he didn't return as an OA?

In hindsight, it wasn’t a bad deal. But, at the time of the trade, the Petes traded a half a point per game 17 year old D-Man and five strong picks for a point per game forward and a #5-6 D-Man.

If Korostelev didn’t return as an OA this year, I think that deal would have been horrid. As well, Grima has not produced near the same level with Sarnia that he did with the Petes so it looks like his numbers were inflated based on situation and a small sample size.

With that same package, London got Stephens. Stephens is a far superior player to Korostelev. The difference being that London traded an additional 2nd instead of the 1999 born player (picked as a 2nd rounder). Black’s value wasn’t worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick so maybe there was some additional comp going the Petes way there but not enough to tip the balance of the deal.

Again, Korostelev is an OA and Stephens is gone so it really makes a difference this year but not many thought Korostelev would stick as an OA.

I’d say it was 50/50 for OA season because many thought Korostelev had no shot of making marlies

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
If Mete were returned and London sold him, I think he'd bring a bit more than Dineen and Day but not much more. There would be three offensive d-men on the market. Are there three contenders in need of that type of player? Likely but the more of that type of player available, the lower the cost I would think.

Rangers certainly need one and would love to see Mete here. Either of the other two would do but I think Mete would be my 1st choice. But I wouldn't be forced to pay large for him if one of the other two could be had a tad cheaper.

Reactions: TheCoach

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
If Mete were returned and London sold him, I think he'd bring a bit more than Dineen and Day but not much more. There would be three offensive d-men on the market. Are there three contenders in need of that type of player? Likely but the more of that type of player available, the lower the cost I would think.

Rangers certainly need one and would love to see Mete here. Either of the other two would do but I think Mete would be my 1st choice. But I wouldn't be forced to pay large for him if one of the other two could be had a tad cheaper.

Even cheaper is Crawford for offensive defenseman.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If Mete is returned, he is basically a rental player as he won't be back for an OA year. Sarnia or Kitchener should make a move for him. I would think a 2-2nds and 1-3rd similar to Day unless they can trade him to Flint.:sarcasm: Question: do you think he would waive his NTC since he basically hand picked London.
Kitchener is more of a pretender than a contender. They have far too many issues at the moment to even consider spending huge on any one player. Extremely poor coaching and goaltending are a death knell for any team in the league.

Last edited:

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit

Luchuk
Second in scoring but being an OA is tough. He is offensively and defensively sound and has proven to be able to put up numbers on a first line or a checking line. I think he should command an '00 player and 2-2nds.
I think his value should be just under the Cirelli deal minus the conditional picks but others won't see it that way.
Windsor/Barrie trade:
Curtis Douglas
SBY 2nd 2021
BAR 2nd 2022
BAR 3rd 2024 (bonus.)

Great job Rychel. Now get some 2018/19 picks.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’d say it was 50/50 for OA season because many thought Korostelev had no shot of making marlies

But he could've signed with any NHL team. He made the (poor) decision of trying out for the Leafs again. In hindsight it'll look like a good trade, but really the Petes just completely lucked out of what would've been a really bad one like OMG67 said

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
But he could've signed with any NHL team. He made the (poor) decision of trying out for the Leafs again. In hindsight it'll look like a good trade, but really the Petes just completely lucked out of what would've been a really bad one like OMG67 said

I’ll take real Gens fans comments regarding the Petes with a grain of salt. There were several, myself included, that posted Korostelev could very well be around for two playoff runs.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I’ll take real Gens fans comments regarding the Petes with a grain of salt. There were several, myself included, that posted Korostelev could very well be around for two playoff runs.
You can take it with a grain of salt but it's hard to argue that if he was looking for a contract that the best place to look was with the (arguably) best team in the ahl. The team that just didn't give him an ELC a little while earlier. He could have probably gotten an ahl contract (maybe even an ELC) with a lot of other teams.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Probably? Korostelev probably has an agent that probably wants to be paid more; thus, finding out what his client is worth. Korostelev and his agent probably thought being a dominant player on a contender was his best route to a decent pro contract.
Maybe, he just gave himself another year to develop without burning a year against education package

Last edited:

member 71782

With suggestions/speculation in the Windsor thread that Vilardi may be available due to LA likely keeping him up next year what's his value once the trade freeze is lifted?

As it was suggested, Windsor will likely want to save a card and with him scheduled to return on Dec. 28th would look to potentially move him right away.

If he stays healthy his value is high but teams will look at the risk involved so obviously any deal would be centred around conditional picks.

Would something like

2019 2nd
2020 3rd
2021 3rd
2022 2nd conditional he plays out the regular season with no recurrences of know injuries
2023 2nd conditional he returns next year
2023 3rd conditional he returns next year

Picks only, 3 conditional. If he has no issues 2 2nds and 2 3rds is a steal for Vilardi. If he returns another 2nd and 3rd still makes him a steal considering he could be dealt for just as much of a return next year.

Thoughts

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
As a Rangers fan, I would make the deal. But I'm sure WR would want a younger body in return as well.

Making a deal with conditional picks badef on injury recurrences etc. might be a little sticky. Has that been done before at this level?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad