Proposal: Value of Jamie Benn

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm kinda lost in your circular logic here but since I'm already confused, can we also add Erik Karlsson, Viktor Hedman, Matt Duchene and I'm really liking Mitch Marner - oh, and Carey Price.

Did you mean to quote someone else?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
No, no. Jamie Benn is the missing piece. Pulock is the perfect solution. They may seem similar, but these are two different flavored pies in the sky.

The 1976-77 MTL Canadiens allowed 171 goals all season, lost only 8 games, Larry Robinson won the Norris, they also had Guy Lapointe, Serge Savard, Pierre Bouchard ------- not Hickey, Pelech, Mayfield, Seidenberg.

I cannot understand why Ryan Pulock would be SUCH a downgrade defensively that he shouldn't get a shot to help THE PUTRID PP! How many blown leads would NOT HAVE been blown with a timely PP goal on a bloody5on3?!

Did you mean to quote someone else?

who remembers. This team leads me to drink heavily during the day - and at night. Between the Cowboys, Islanders - holyhell

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
who remembers. This team leads me to drink heavily during the day - and at night. Between the Cowboys, Islanders - holyhell

I was working on a project last night and smartly decided to laugh and keep going during the game instead of pouring out some whiskey to numb the pain. If we get a repeat tonight who knows since I don't need to work and already thinking about starting with the snow day.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I kind of created this thread to illustrate the purgatory we are in... we are going to be a middle of the pack team for a few years regardless of who coaches the Isles...

We have bad long term contracts (Ladd and Boychuk)

We have the only 8 figure, 4th line in hockey, each guy makes over 3.5 Million per year

Our 2nd line center probably pontificates about martha Washington being an alien between bond hits

Our top 5 pick, thinks he is Jordan Tootoo on most nights, instead of a 50 point scorer

Our #1 player and #1 goalie are vastly burnt out from over use

Our undersized dman gets a point a night it seems but is now the second coming of Bruno Gervais meets Jack Hillen

People want to offer Colorado a package for Duchene because he was a top 5 pick that wins faceoffs that should be applied to Benn a 5th round pick who does everything and I mean everything.

The problem is that the type of player the Isles need is on a Benn level, not Duchene, Duchene is basically a less inebriated version of Brock nelson who can win faceoffs.

With Jamie Benn, one can dream, probably the only time I wish Milbury was GM because he would give up 4 or 5 future pieces for the one sure thing, he probably would deal Nelson, Pulock, Bellows, Barzal, and first round picks for him LOL

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I kind of created this thread to illustrate the purgatory we are in... we are going to be a middle of the pack team for a few years regardless of who coaches the Isles...

We have bad long term contracts (Ladd and Boychuk)

We have the only 8 figure, 4th line in hockey, each guy makes over 3.5 Million per year

Our 2nd line center probably pontificates about martha Washington being an alien between bond hits

Our top 5 pick, thinks he is Jordan Tootoo on most nights, instead of a 50 point scorer

Our #1 player and #1 goalie are vastly burnt out from over use

Our undersized dman gets a point a night it seems but is now the second coming of Bruno Gervais meets Jack Hillen

People want to offer Colorado a package for Duchene because he was a top 5 pick that wins faceoffs that should be applied to Benn a 5th round pick who does everything and I mean everything.

The problem is that the type of player the Isles need is on a Benn level, not Duchene, Duchene is basically a less inebriated version of Brock nelson who can win faceoffs.

With Jamie Benn, one can dream, probably the only time I wish Milbury was GM because he would give up 4 or 5 future pieces for the one sure thing, he probably would deal Nelson, Pulock, Bellows, Barzal, and first round picks for him LOL

Duchene would instantly be the second best player on this team. We aren't talking about adding any former top 5 pick like Yakupov for **** sakes.

Milbury would've given those pieces up for a guy like Keith Yandle, not Jamie Benn.

We also have NOT been a middle of the pack team since Cappy has been fired, in fact we have been near the top. Your post is mainly wishful thinking IMO. And that's not to say Weight is some genius, I think it really goes to show how BAD Capuano actually was.

I mean who has actually looked worse than Capuano was canned? Name one player.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Duchene would instantly be the second best player on this team. We aren't talking about adding any former top 5 pick like Yakupov for **** sakes.

Milbury would've given those pieces up for a guy like Keith Yandle, not Jamie Benn.

We also have NOT been a middle of the pack team since Cappy has been fired, in fact we have been near the top. Your post is mainly wishful thinking IMO. And that's not to say Weight is some genius, I think it really goes to show how BAD Capuano actually was.

I am very very alarmed by being blown out so much, to me that is the death knell of the composition of this roster, half the time I think I have hit the Hot Tub Time Machine and expect the Nordiques to be on my screen with these ridiculous goals against numbers.

We had a positive affect of a coaching change but now we are easier to scout with Weight as coach and it is clear that we get rattled after one goal.

Thomas Hickey has declined a lot since Cappy is gone... Clutter is injured so he gets a pass, Strome is still Strome, Nelson is still Nelson

Most players are about the same (JT, Lee, Seidenberg, Leddy, Hamonic, Chimera, Boychuk, Mayfield)

Worse - Hickey, Pelech,

Better with Weight - Ladd, CDH, Bailey, Beau, Kulemin

Injured - Cizikas, Quine, Clutter, Prince

Duchene would not be the 2nd best player on this team, Leddy and Hamonic would be better as far as overall players...

But if Duchene is the 2nd best forward that means our forward corps is bad, he is the 2nd best forward right now on his AHL team behind Mackinnon.

By saying Duchene is our 2nd best forward you pretty much echo my point that it is not fair to Cappy or Weight that were are not advancing.. If Frans is still here he would be our 3rd best forward and KO would be our 2nd best and Duchene would be 4th best... Snow has no plan... Ladd got us 2 goals in 24 games, that crippled Cappy... he also got 2 goals in his first 25 games for Paul Maurice the year before.

Snow must go..

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I am very very alarmed by being blown out so much, to me that is the death knell of the composition of this roster, half the time I think I have hit the Hot Tub Time Machine and expect the Nordiques to be on my screen with these ridiculous goals against numbers.

We had a positive affect of a coaching change but now we are easier to scout with Weight as coach and it is clear that we get rattled after one goal.

Thomas Hickey has declined a lot since Cappy is gone... Clutter is injured so he gets a pass, Strome is still Strome, Nelson is still Nelson

Most players are about the same (JT, Lee, Seidenberg, Leddy, Hamonic, Chimera, Boychuk, Mayfield)

Worse - Hickey, Pelech,

Better with Weight - Ladd, CDH, Bailey, Beau, Kulemin

Injured - Cizikas, Quine, Clutter, Prince

Duchene would not be the 2nd best player on this team, Leddy and Hamonic would be better as far as overall players...

But if Duchene is the 2nd best forward that means our forward corps is bad, he is the 2nd best forward right now on his AHL team behind Mackinnon.

By saying Duchene is our 2nd best forward you pretty much echo my point that it is not fair to Cappy or Weight that were are not advancing.. If Frans is still here he would be our 3rd best forward and KO would be our 2nd best and Duchene would be 4th best... Snow has no plan... Ladd got us 2 goals in 24 games, that crippled Cappy... he also got 2 goals in his first 25 games for Paul Maurice the year before.

Snow must go..

No, saying Duchene would be the second best player on this team goes to show how good of a player HE is. Okay, let's say he is third (behind Leddy) I can be down with that.

Strome is still Strome? His production has increased a considerable amount ever since Fred got fired. Nelson I was never a huge fan of, he's just a soft player.

Thomas Hickey? Really? The guy has never been more than a fringe NHL player. If that is our worst player under Weight than I am absolutely fine with that.

The NYI could NOT resign Nielsen even IF we did not hand out money to Ladd, Clutter, Cizikas, and Boychuk. Signing Nielsen to seven ****ing years is asking to be killed by the salary cap. Snow should've at least talked with KO before letting him go for a reasonable contract. That I will never understand.

Duchene is better than Nielsen and better than Okposo. Having him as our second line center playing with JHS for years to come would be a thing of beauty. The problem was not letting Nielsen and Okposo go, the problem was not replacing them.

Snow does have to go, but not because he let Nielsen go.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
No, saying Duchene would be the second best player on this team goes to show how good of a player HE is. Okay, let's say he is third (behind Leddy) I can be down with that.

Strome is still Strome? His production has increased a considerable amount ever since Fred got fired. Nelson I was never a huge fan of, he's just a soft player.

Thomas Hickey? Really? The guy has never been more than a fringe NHL player. If that is our worst player under Weight than I am absolutely fine with that.

The NYI could NOT resign Nielsen even IF we did not hand out money to Ladd, Clutter, Cizikas, and Boychuk. Signing Nielsen to seven ****ing years is asking to be killed by the salary cap. Snow should've at least talked with KO before letting him go for a reasonable contract. That I will never understand.

Duchene is better than Nielsen and better than Okposo. Having him as our second line center playing with JHS for years to come would be a thing of beauty. The problem was not letting Nielsen and Okposo go, the problem was not replacing them.

Snow does have to go, but not because he let Nielsen go.

I value your opinion as a poster, you convey your points well.. so pardon my frustration with these blowouts, I really hate when defense goes awry...

Snow is guilty of obvious and hindsight errors

Obvious

1) Berube, maybe he is Berube's illegitmate dad, but Snow didn't play for Quebec until Berube was a 2 year old... he is the worst goalie ever to put on an Isles mask

2) Not replacing Nielsen, I am a big Quine guy but Quine may be Nielsen in 5 years,.. JT is worn out now as the replacement to Frans on the PK.. it is good for JT, but he is fatigued now

3) Nelson sucks, and I would rather have Beau play 2nd line center than Nelson or what it would take to get Duchene, I would like to get a LW for first line and drop Lee to play with Beau and JHS next year,

Hindsight

1) Cappy... you don't fire a guy after he took the team to the 2nd round.. and that call reversal was the biggest move in that series..... good coach, people will see it in his next job.

2) Sign Nielsen over Ladd... there are a lot of players around the league that can get you 25 points in 67 games LOL, there are few guys that do what Frans does, just the shootout points alone, but more important, he clears the puck out of the zone, he micormanages the players around him... his loss was huge and Cappy echoed it... remember Frans was a player who really developed under Cappy.

Strome is still an erratic players that destroys our first power play unit, if you join the game a bit later, you think he was scratched as you never see him near the puck...

Hickey was a fringe NHL player that got here with Cappy and turned into a solid bottom pairing guy, in the Weight regime, he is now a 7/8, very exposed, unusable

Pelech has dropped off, he is a different player under Weight, abyssmal to say the least when he was impressive under Cappy.

I think all the defense is down under Weight...

But if Babcock, Q or Vigneault had this team, they would do their own origami and complain that there is a leak no matter where you patch

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I value your opinion as a poster, you convey your points well.. so pardon my frustration with these blowouts, I really hate when defense goes awry...

Snow is guilty of obvious and hindsight errors

Obvious

1) Berube, maybe he is Berube's illegitmate dad, but Snow didn't play for Quebec until Berube was a 2 year old... he is the worst goalie ever to put on an Isles mask

2) Not replacing Nielsen, I am a big Quine guy but Quine may be Nielsen in 5 years,.. JT is worn out now as the replacement to Frans on the PK.. it is good for JT, but he is fatigued now

3) Nelson sucks, and I would rather have Beau play 2nd line center than Nelson or what it would take to get Duchene, I would like to get a LW for first line and drop Lee to play with Beau and JHS next year,

Hindsight

1) Cappy... you don't fire a guy after he took the team to the 2nd round.. and that call reversal was the biggest move in that series..... good coach, people will see it in his next job.

2) Sign Nielsen over Ladd... there are a lot of players around the league that can get you 25 points in 67 games LOL, there are few guys that do what Frans does, just the shootout points alone, but more important, he clears the puck out of the zone, he micormanages the players around him... his loss was huge and Cappy echoed it... remember Frans was a player who really developed under Cappy.

Strome is still an erratic players that destroys our first power play unit, if you join the game a bit later, you think he was scratched as you never see him near the puck...

Hickey was a fringe NHL player that got here with Cappy and turned into a solid bottom pairing guy, in the Weight regime, he is now a 7/8, very exposed, unusable

Pelech has dropped off, he is a different player under Weight, abyssmal to say the least when he was impressive under Cappy.

I think all the defense is down under Weight...

But if Babcock, Q or Vigneault had this team, they would do their own origami and complain that there is a leak no matter where you patch

I just don't think giving Nielsen 7 years is a smart hockey decision. Guess we will see where he is in seven years and we can revisit it. :laugh:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
New coach perfume wore off, as it always eventually does

old coach's odor still lingers, it always does.

Also:

Ho-Sang >>> Benn

screw you Benn. Still pissedabout the Art Ross fiasco empty-net last minute crap

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
old coach's odor still lingers, it always does.

Also:

Ho-Sang >>> Benn

screw you Benn. Still pissedabout the Art Ross fiasco empty-net last minute crap

Well the old coach burped up kielbasa all game, of course it takes a season for that smell to wear off... Benn cheapened out a scoring title, but I love when a 5th rounder ascends to this.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Before, I would agree, that Benn would be a smart move, but I believe we need a top 6 center more than we do a top 3 winger.

1. Bailey has stepped up and reminds me of the year after the last lockout that Okposo finally started to stand on his own two skates.

2. Sure we could use a top 3 winger, but we already have a decent 1st line that can match up to most in the league.

3. I would be looking a slightly aging top 3 centre and trade for him. Someone like a Thornton/Spezza/Getzlaf..or even Little!

4. Then turn around and make a trade with the Leafs for JVR OR make an offer to Boston for Pastrnak which would probably involve Lee, Sorokin, MDC, Mayfield, Hickey + 2nd

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Before, I would agree, that Benn would be a smart move, but I believe we need a top 6 center more than we do a top 3 winger.

1. Bailey has stepped up and reminds me of the year after the last lockout that Okposo finally started to stand on his own two skates.

2. Sure we could use a top 3 winger, but we already have a decent 1st line that can match up to most in the league.

3. I would be looking a slightly aging top 3 centre and trade for him. Someone like a Thornton/Spezza/Getzlaf..or even Little!

4. Then turn around and make a trade with the Leafs for JVR OR make an offer to Boston for Pastrnak which would probably involve Lee, Sorokin, MDC, Mayfield, Hickey + 2nd

Can't see Pastrnak being available. He is about to reach RFA status but I have a hard time believing the Bruins won't pay him after they traded and let a lot of their talent walk. Guy just hit 30 goals, I suspect he'll be locked up unless he's got exorbitant salary desires which probably prices him off the Island as well.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Agreed, Pastrnak should be locked up soon, BUT he's only had one really good season. If he was doing this now for 3-4 seasons in a row, I could see a really high price tag. It was just a thought and since the Bs are in a minor rebuild, we could help replenish their pool with extra prospects that we have and also add a decent sized scoring winger to replace Pastrnak.

Benn will cost us a lot more as a proven award winning top 3. We'd be giving up too much for him.

I really don't want us to keep trying to get these "faux-top3" wingers like a Patrick Maroon or Eaves...even Kunitz..

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
7 years from now Ladd and Nielsen each will not be in the NHL... Nielsen will fade away much later than Ladd

This...Nielsen's contract will retain value way longer than Ladds. This isn't about not giving out a 7 year big money contract because the Isles did that anyway. It's about who would have been better value. Nielsen wins that hands down.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

JF Berube :shakehead

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Agreed, Pastrnak should be locked up soon, BUT he's only had one really good season. If he was doing this now for 3-4 seasons in a row, I could see a really high price tag. It was just a thought and since the Bs are in a minor rebuild, we could help replenish their pool with extra prospects that we have and also add a decent sized scoring winger to replace Pastrnak.

Benn will cost us a lot more as a proven award winning top 3. We'd be giving up too much for him.

I really don't want us to keep trying to get these "faux-top3" wingers like a Patrick Maroon or Eaves...even Kunitz..

Never heard this line used on a 19 year old, lol. He's got 30 goals as a 19 year old. He may not keep it up, but it's not like the guy has been in the league a whole bunch of years. He's got a decent amount of games under his belt as a kid, but potting 30 at his age is certainly more than what you would expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad