Proposal: Value of Griffin Reinhart to BUF

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Our forwards and D are playing extremely well. The need is in goal. If Enroth or Neuvirth aren't the answer, fine then don't make the trade, but don't underestimate the need. It's the one area that can sabotage the season.

During Al Arbour's first run as coach, he had Smitty and Chico, then Smitty and Melanson and finally Smitty and Hrudey. Al never had to go through a game with the type of Goalies we've seen here with the exception of Halak.

I think everyone here can agree our biggest need is in goal but why give up one of our biggest trading assests for a backup when it would take considerably less to get a good backup? Reinhart is a a player that you move for an elite player, not a backup who will play here and there and will probably be gone next year. That's a terrible decision.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
I think everyone here can agree our biggest need is in goal but why give up one of our biggest trading assests for a backup when it would take considerably less to get a good backup? Reinhart is a a player that you move for an elite player, not a backup who will play here and there and will probably be gone next year. That's a terrible decision.

It's not Reinhart for a backup goalie, it's Reinhart for Buffalo's 1st in 2016 and the goalie. We disagree on Reinhart's potential.

Menwithouthat tricks

Dec 25, 2002
Visit site
If Buffalo has Risto and Zadarov, two highly touted defensive prospects (plus Myers, a still young d-man who might pan out), why would they need a third? If Buffalo needs anything, it's forwards with some experience, which the Isles have oodles of. But with the Buffalo untouchables mentioned, I don't see much that Buffalo has that would improve our team. Except if the Isles sustain a key injury. there's no trade to be made.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
In this scenario the Isles give up one what I consider the three crown jewels in the system, Pulock and Dal Colle being the other two, for quantity not quality. Since the Isles like I previously stated are finally able to deal from strength, I wouldn't want a 2016 1st, I would want two of the assets you stated were off the table. I really don't want to wait 5 years for a prospect to develope now, I 'm looking for someone to help in the next two years, or like I said two assets for Reinhart.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
It's not Reinhart for a backup goalie, it's Reinhart for Buffalo's 1st in 2016 and the goalie. We disagree on Reinhart's potential.

That 1st could be anywhere in the draft. Everyone thought they'd be the worst team this season and it wouldn't be close. That isn't the case.

It's ok to disagree on Reinhart's potential but other teams would be willing to give up pretty good players if they were getting Reinhart back. Just name any good player that will be available at some point and a name that will come up with each is Reinhart. Why move Reinhart for a 1st and a backup goalie when you can get something like a top line winger or top 4 defenseman back?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Your value may be fair, but I'd call it a move in the wrong direction. Snow unloaded all the bullets in his best revolver at the target. At this point there's no going back, and moving Griff, who is a soon to be core piece, IMO, is a step back from the moves we made. He is future top 4. I don't want a mere backup and an unknown quantity pick for that. I want Griff.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
These are wasted posts as i can't see the Isles dealing Griff. He was targeted as their big young D who can serve for 10 + years as a backbone type player. He's still growing into his frame and adding muscle and toughness. He will be in Brooklyn, book it.

Isles have very few needs as stated and one of them is coming soon in Dal Colle. Backup goalies can be had for a lot less than a high first round drafted player that's almost ready to go.

Isles' D prospect pool is still deep after Reinhart (and trading Pokka) with Pulock, Mayfield, Donovan, Pelech and others. Pulock is untouchable as he brings a needed cannon from the point but maybe there is something to be had with some others and Collberg in the mix.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
I see the Islanders as incredibly unlikely to move any of their best defense prospects, given that they already traded Pokka. The only players I'd want for Reinhart from Buf are Risto or Zadorov, so we'd be trading for the same type of players anyway. Nope

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
That 1st could be anywhere in the draft. Everyone thought they'd be the worst team this season and it wouldn't be close. That isn't the case.

It's ok to disagree on Reinhart's potential but other teams would be willing to give up pretty good players if they were getting Reinhart back. Just name any good player that will be available at some point and a name that will come up with each is Reinhart. Why move Reinhart for a 1st and a backup goalie when you can get something like a top line winger or top 4 defenseman back?

The Sabres have their own 2015 1st, the Blues 2015 1st along with the isles 2015 1st+2nd.

I expect the Sabres to keep their own 1st, while shopping the Blues and Isles picks for NHL players. Much like the isles used their two seconds to land Boychuk .

I am not trying to predict a challenge for a playoff spot for the Sabres next season, but I think they will be closer to 10th overall then 1st-5th overall.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
As far as prospect depth, Buffalo could still offer a package including guys like Grigorenko, Larsson, Armia, Foligno, Compher, Cornel, Lemieux, Fasching, Baptiste, Pysyk, McCabe, & Ruhwedel. They also have the NYI & STL 1st RND picks this year, as well as their own & your 2nd RND pick this year - As far as 2016 goes, BUF has all of their own picks plus the STL 3rd. Also I am sure Murray would be willing to part with just about any roster piece not listed in the OP... Neuvirth, Enroth, Gorges, Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Deslauriers and maybe even Myers are all guys that have some positive value to a good team.

There is a reason I asked for a valuation instead of offering a 'quantity' based proposal in the OP...

Why would the Isles trade Reinhart for a package of lessor prospects? Why would they trade a guy who is close to step in for more picks?

Which of Gorges, Hodgson, Stafford do you seriously think would begin to get you a recent top five pick?

I know you are not proposing anything specific, but you're also not giving us anything to work with. Its the classic "I want your best kid, but have nothing to offer in a deal" post.

Looking at next year, the Isles need some size on the blueline and they need prospects who can step in if Vish retires (or is not resigned) and/or Boychuk leaves. That sounds exactly like Reinhart.

Right now, about the only asset that Buffalo has that would be of much interest in Myers.

I also don't get the entire "lets collect all the brothers" mentality (not a shot at you) that is on this site. This is not the Sedins, where they have to play together to be effective or where one complements the other. From Buffalo's perspective of keeping a very good young player happy, it probably meets your needs just to have him a quick flight away in NY.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
As far as prospect depth, Buffalo could still offer a package including guys like Grigorenko, Larsson, Armia, Foligno, Compher, Cornel, Lemieux, Fasching, Baptiste, Pysyk, McCabe, & Ruhwedel. They also have the NYI & STL 1st RND picks this year, as well as their own & your 2nd RND pick this year - As far as 2016 goes, BUF has all of their own picks plus the STL 3rd. Also I am sure Murray would be willing to part with just about any roster piece not listed in the OP... Neuvirth, Enroth, Gorges, Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Deslauriers and maybe even Myers are all guys that have some positive value to a good team.

There is a reason I asked for a valuation instead of offering a 'quantity' based proposal in the OP...

if you want an almost ready blue chip prospect, we are going to need a prime contributor (or two) from your roster right now...think about it logically

that said, you wont be getting reinhart, to answer your question

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Worked great with the Staals in Carolina too!

There are times when it makes sense, like the Sedins in VAN. Or, in the case of some players, you bring in one brother to recruit the other (as with the Neidermayers).

For the Sabres, they can accomplish about everything they want with just having Griffin in Brooklyn.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Anything short of an already proven, sub 28 year old, highly controllable 1st line wing/#1/#2 Dman is simply not enough for Reinhart.

Reinhart may never be what we hope he will, but he absolutely has a solid shot to be a legit top pair Dman in this league. There's no point in trading him unless we're getting back a proven commodity. Buffalo is not a good match.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Reinhart is considered by management to be a future mainstay on the Islander blue line. Mainstay is a legitimate impact top 4 defenseman.

When viewing the possibilities of our defense corps, the first matter to be settled is the extensions of Boychuk and Leddy. If both are extended, even considering that JB is 31 years old, the defense has to be looked at in a 4 year timeframe. The remaining core of the defense is Hammer.
Boychuk, Leddy, Hammer will make the top 3 core for the next 4-5 years if the first two are extended. Vis will be retired and not in the mix.
CDH and Hickey are on the fringe though both are still young.
This is where Pulock and Griff come in as part of the core 5.
But we do not know if either young man will be good enough as an NHLer. Potential means something but not everything. The jump to the next level is very high. Police needs to become a good defensive player, not just a mighty slapshot (the MAB syndrome). Griff badly needs to improve his mobility and lateral movement.
It would be mindless to make moves with either prospect until we know what Boych and Leds commit to. Then the return for either needs to be a significant asset that helps now and in the future. We do not need a Jason Weimer from them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad