Proposal: Value of Griffin Reinhart to BUF

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Hi all, Sabres follower coming in peace :)

I was just curious, now that Garth has done a pretty good job of shoring up your defense corps w/ Boychuk & Leddy if you guys think there would be an opportunity to pry Griffin out of the Isles system? Obviously I am just looking for a valuation from your fanbase, but I will start by saying that our 2015 1st is likely off limits, as well as Girgensons, Sam Reinhart and probably Ristolainen & Zadarov.

Do you see a scenario where Murray and Snow could agree on a price?

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY

I was just curious, now that Garth has done a pretty good job of shoring up your defense corps w/ Boychuk & Leddy if you guys think there would be an opportunity to pry Griffin out of the Isles system? Obviously I am just looking for a valuation from your fanbase, but I will start by saying that our 2015 1st is likely off limits, as well as Girgensons, Sam Reinhart and probably Ristolainen & Zadarov.

So, what is left to trade for?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

No, because there is no price (realistically).

He's not available.

Boychuk's an impending UFA and Leddy's an offensive defenseman on the smaller side. The Islanders' blueline is still in need of a Griffin Reinhart type defenseman.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013

That's an incredibly long list of "off-limits" pieces considering we're talking about a recent 4th overall pick who has been developing on-schedule. Like, Zadorov is a good piece, but it's sort of nonsense to frame him as off-limits for this purpose.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
There's a possibility depending on whether or not Boychuk resigns here. I personally wouldn't deal off Griff but if the value was fair I would be cool with it. I don't see us as great trading partners because you guys don't want to give up any picks AND don't have any studs to take away from you either.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That's an incredibly long list of "off-limits" pieces considering we're talking about a recent 4th overall pick who has been developing on-schedule. Like, Zadorov is a good piece, but it's sort of nonsense to frame him as off-limits for this purpose.

If I'm Snow this deal starts with Risto+. That's nothing against Risto but shows how good of a situation the Isles are in regarding developing our prospects. We can let these guys develop now.

There just isn't much to trade for on Buffalo if we aren't allowed to talk about the prospects they have.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I will start by saying that our 2015 1st is likely off limits, as well as Girgensons, Sam Reinhart and probably Ristolainen & Zadarov.

Alright then, Myers + Grigorenko for Reinhart + Collberg

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Honestly, the only in-season deal that would make possible sense is something around Myers. Assumption would be that the Isles want to go for it now and Myers provides an NHL body now with some upside still. With that said Myers value is above Reinhart's. So I'm not sure the Isle would be willing to part with much more to make up the difference.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

So you want us to give him to you for nothing? How about you make an offer (this should be good). And Don't include picks as the prime part of your "fair offer."

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Dunno what Buffalo could offer that we would want(not trying to sound condescending). We are only really missing a #1LW or #1D, and have a pretty good prospect pool. I guess it would take an overpayment due to there being no pressing need to trade Reinhart.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Buffalo's 1st in 2016 and either Enroth or Neuvirth.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013

If we were rebuilding then something around BUF's 2016 first might make sense. But we're not. So the only thing we need that we might not get from within is a legit #1D. Unless BUF can offer that, we're not parting with Griff.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Buffalo's 1st in 2016 and either Enroth or Neuvirth.

With starting goalies going for 3rd and 4th round d picks, I've no interest in overpaying to land a backup. Reinhart developing well for a 2016 1st+ a backup for Halak is a crappy deal for the. NYI.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

With that list of untouchables? No.:laugh:

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
With starting goalies going for 3rd and 4th round d picks, I've no interest in overpaying to land a backup. Reinhart developing well for a 2016 1st+ a backup for Halak is a crappy deal for the. NYI.

Completely disagree. For some reason you're not grasping the concept that an injury to Halak will basically destroy this season and that Buffalo's 1st pick in 2016 could be a top 5 pick. Honestly from what I've seen from Reinhart I'm not sure that he's going to be better than Leddy, CDH or Hickey on the left side and if we resign Boychuk, we'll have him along with Hamonic and Pulock. If we get a top 5 pick for Griff, it may be worth it.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Completely disagree. For some reason you're not grasping the concept that an injury to Halak will basically destroy this season and that Buffalo's 1st pick in 2016 could be a top 5 pick. Honestly from what I've seen from Reinhart I'm not sure that he's going to be better than Leddy, CDH or Hickey on the left side and if we resign Boychuk, we'll have him along with Hamonic and Pulock. If we get a top 5 pick for Griff, it may be worth it.

But why give up Reinhart for a backup goalie and MAYBE a top 5 pick when we could include him in a deal to get an elite forward or defenseman?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

I am aware the isles need a stronger backup then Johnson.

.I am also aware that the Sabres GM has bent over backwards trying to tank for McDavid, trading away solid, nhl vets. Even with an effort at tanking, Nolan's team makes competitors work for the 2 pts.
The deep pocketed Sabre owner + the promising you g core are more likely to have the Sabres drafting in the 10-12 range then top 5 next season.

And didn't Boychuk respond to the question of an extension, by telling the press that he wanted to wait, see how he and his wife liked it on LI?

How can anyone take that lukewarm response and then say trade player X because we have Boychuk ?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

Pretty significant judgments there. Leddy wasn't so hot when he first came into the league. Same with Hickey. Took forever for CDH to get to the NHL.
That's ok, you know best.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
But why give up Reinhart for a backup goalie and MAYBE a top 5 pick when we could include him in a deal to get an elite forward or defenseman?

Our forwards and D are playing extremely well. The need is in goal. If Enroth or Neuvirth aren't the answer, fine then don't make the trade, but don't underestimate the need. It's the one area that can sabotage the season.

During Al Arbour's first run as coach, he had Smitty and Chico, then Smitty and Melanson and finally Smitty and Hrudey. Al never had to go through a game with the type of Goalies we've seen here with the exception of Halak.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
I believe the Boychuk and Leddy deals have changed to whole aspect of trading with the Isles; no longer are the Isles dealing from a position of weakness. Which for Isles fans is a long time coming. That said, Reinhart IMHO is the real deal and just needs perhaps this year and part of the next before he's adjusted to the NHL. I'm sure that for Snow to even consider parting with Reinhart he would have to be overwhelmed, like stupid overwhelmed. If Buffalo were willing to part with their 2015 1st round pick, then I would really consider it. That's what it would take for me.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

So, what is left to trade for?

As far as prospect depth, Buffalo could still offer a package including guys like Grigorenko, Larsson, Armia, Foligno, Compher, Cornel, Lemieux, Fasching, Baptiste, Pysyk, McCabe, & Ruhwedel. They also have the NYI & STL 1st RND picks this year, as well as their own & your 2nd RND pick this year - As far as 2016 goes, BUF has all of their own picks plus the STL 3rd. Also I am sure Murray would be willing to part with just about any roster piece not listed in the OP... Neuvirth, Enroth, Gorges, Hodgson, Ennis, Stafford, Stewart, Deslauriers and maybe even Myers are all guys that have some positive value to a good team.

There is a reason I asked for a valuation instead of offering a 'quantity' based proposal in the OP...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad