Proposal: Value of Derrick Pouliot

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Just wondering if Derick Pouliot would be a decent option for a defensive D who's young (23) has decent possession metrics (unless someone else can show me something as I'm not by any means an advanced stats expert) and is RFA but not going to get a big raise by any means (still playing in the AHL)

What would it realistically take to get him or what would PIT want?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Just wondering if Derick Pouliot would be a decent option for a defensive D who's young (23) has decent possession metrics (unless someone else can show me something as I'm not by any means an advanced stats expert) and is RFA but not going to get a big raise by any means (still playing in the AHL)

What would it realistically take to get him or what would PIT want?

I have been banging the Pouliot drum for a while now. I think he'd be a nice acquisition that is currently being undervalued by his org. I'd look at a Petan for him swap.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'd hate to lose Petan, but that sounds about right IMO. Have to be after expansion as previously mentioned.

Pens fans have not been impressed with him, but he could be a good buy low if he can rebound. I have not heard much good about his defensive game, which would kind of suck for us as it would seem we could really benefit more from a less offensive but more solid defensive guy.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I wouldn't deal for him until after the draft

I'd be more proactive, and try to trade for him before the draft.

Then I'd protect 5D+3F+1G for the draft. We'll probably be losing a forward anyways, and while leaving Perrault exposed would be a downer (should he get selected), we have plenty of forwards to make up for it.

Then all we'd need is to sign a UFA goalie in the summer.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I'd be more proactive, and try to trade for him before the draft.

Then I'd protect 5D+3F+1G for the draft. We'll probably be losing a forward anyways, and while leaving Perrault exposed would be a downer (should he get selected), we have plenty of forwards to make up for it.

Then all we'd need is to sign a UFA goalie in the summer.

I don't agree to letting Perrault go to expansion for free. I think this deal would have to get done before the expansion draft for true value. Then make a side deal with vegas. Stuart, Chiarot, Hutchinson and a 3rd or 4th or heck even both (just not in the same year) and then under that pretense, ask Enstrom to waive his NMC knowing full well deal is in place already where he doesnt get selected.
Protect:
Trouba, Buff, Myers, Pouliot, Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Perrault. Vegas would basically have available: Enstrom (1 year at 5.7), Lowry good 4th liner and the Jets are high on him yes but that doesn't change what he is (a 4th liner) Dano, Copp, or Armia. Have to think vegas takes that big package instead of any of the other guys.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wouldn't be acquiring Pouliot to protect him and make either Perreault or Lowry exposed, that's for sure.

Very little interest in Pouliot. We can do or get better.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
Wouldn't be acquiring Pouliot to protect him and make either Perreault or Lowry exposed, that's for sure.
I would do it in a heartbeat. Losing Perreault isn't any kind of problem, because Jets have Connor and Roslovic.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I would do it in a heartbeat. Losing Perreault isn't any kind of problem, because Jets have Connor and Roslovic.

Have to agree to that as well. Seems from a few PIT fans (posted on the main board) they'd be willing to take pick for him without players. 2nd was the highest I saw.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Oooh I'm not so sure. I haven't seen him play much but he was in the Ahl most of the year. Why trade up to a 2nd and lose someone like Perrault just for a guy who hasn't even proven he belongs in the NHL?

In the summer try and get him for a mid pick sure, or grab him off waivers for free in the fall.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Oooh I'm not so sure. I haven't seen him play much but he was in the Ahl most of the year. Why trade up to a 2nd and lose someone like Perrault just for a guy who hasn't even proven he belongs in the NHL?

In the summer try and get him for a mid pick sure, or grab him off waivers for free in the fall.

If we traded petan for him and he got drafted, all we would lose is Petan...no big deal.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't deal for him until after the draft

In the other version of this same thread (?) Pens fan suggested they would take a 2nd.

Trade before the draft. Petan or a 2nd. 2nd would be better considering the weakness of this draft. Don't protect him. It is unlikely LV takes him. If they do we have come through the XD for the price of Petan or a 2nd. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Very little interest in Pouliot. We can do or get better.

But not likely cheaper. He looks to me to be a very good gamble.

You would be losing Perreault to keep Pouliot, a player who hasn't been able to break in to the NHL. That would be nuts.

Get him cheaply but for gawd's sake don't protect him! There just isn't any need.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Have to agree to that as well. Seems from a few PIT fans (posted on the main board) they'd be willing to take pick for him without players. 2nd was the highest I saw.

I'm not sure I am following this line of thought.

Shouldn't the goal of the team to be to have as much talent on the roster as possible?

Just because the Jets have some good prospects, why does that make Perreault expendable? Shouldn't the Jets try to have all three of Perreault, Connor, and Roslovic on the roster?

Also, that doesn't even address the main problem here. It's that you're advocating losing Perreault for Pouliot. Pouliot isn't worth half of what Perreault is. Why would the Jets even be interested in that at all, regardless of what kind of prospects they have?

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
In the other version of this same thread (?) Pens fan suggested they would take a 2nd.

Trade before the draft. Petan or a 2nd. 2nd would be better considering the weakness of this draft. Don't protect him. It is unlikely LV takes him. If they do we have come through the XD for the price of Petan or a 2nd. :nod:

I take my opinion back, at least as far as protection occurs. Thinking on it, you're right, LV probably wouldn't select him. So I agree with you.

Personally, I'd rather lose a 2017 draft pick instead of someone like Petan, considering it is a bit of a weak draft.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
I take my opinion back, at least as far as protection occurs. Thinking on it, you're right, LV probably wouldn't select him. So I agree with you.

Personally, I'd rather lose a 2017 draft pick instead of someone like Petan, considering it is a bit of a weak draft.

I don't know where the notion of "weak draft" keeps coming from...but it's completely not true. This draft is only "weak" in that it lacks a top 10 which are clearly above the rest. This draft is more like previous drafts, if the team picking #1 overall was actually starting at pick #7. In that I mean there's no real sure things but still a lot of very very good future NHLers to be had...We've just been spoiled with the last few classes with a lot of high end talent in picks 1-5:laugh:

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg

That line of thinking is excellent...I'm on board with that especially if it's a 2nd round pick we trade for him and he gets selected.... that's like the best case scenario!

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I never thought of it like that, but I would be quite fine with that outcome.

GeorgeJETson

Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I don't know where the notion of "weak draft" keeps coming from...but it's completely not true. This draft is only "weak" in that it lacks a top 10 which are clearly above the rest. This draft is more like previous drafts, if the team picking #1 overall was actually starting at pick #7. In that I mean there's no real sure things but still a lot of very very good future NHLers to be had...We've just been spoiled with the last few classes with a lot of high end talent in picks 1-5:laugh:

Well, from my perspective, I'm calling it "weak" mainly because I can't really tell what would be considered good talent in rounds 2+. But then, I'm not really an expert. :dunno:

As for the first round, it seems there's not much difference between 3rd to 15th or so. But then again, I'm not really an expert :laugh:

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014

If this is the price for a player like Pouliot then I fully agree. If players are cheap before the expansion draft then I hope the team thinks like this. If the price for a player that fills a hole is a value we are ok giving up in the expansion draft if they are taken then make deals before the draft and fill holes. No need to wait until after the draft when prices go up. Vegas can only take one player.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If this is the price for a player like Pouliot then I fully agree. If players are cheap before the expansion draft then I hope the team thinks like this. If the price for a player that fills a hole is a value we are ok giving up in the expansion draft if they are taken then make deals before the draft and fill holes. No need to wait until after the draft when prices go up. Vegas can only take one player.

Could we conceivably give up 2 players to protect one? Have Vegas draft Matthias, but trade them Lemieux for a 5th or 6th round pick in return.

I think Poiliot for Dano would be a good trade for both teams. Because of cap constraints the Pens need a few $1 million wingers. Dano could probably score 20 with Malkin. We get LHD depth in return, in essence shoring up our defense out of the Ladd trade, where drafting has made spots in competition for forward positions a position of strength going forward.

I would like to see the former Winterhawks Petan and De Leo in competition with Connor and Roslovic for 3rd and 4th line positions next year, maybe Comrie vs. Hellebuyck, a little internal competition between the WHL grads and the college lads. Add Poiliot and Poolman to that, as the family grows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad