Speculation: Value of Cizikas and Martin this off season

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Cizikas is a RFA (arbitration eligible?) currently making 1 million, Martin is an UFA currently making 1 million. Kruger just re-signed for 3x3 which is probably what Cizikas will look for and Martin will probably look for Clutter money. What is fair value and what do you guys think they will sign for?

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
Cizikas is worth around Kruger money.

Martin should not be paid anything above 2.5M, he does that would be an overpayment

You can replace him with someone much more skilled, but it would mess up the 4th line chemistry. Garth has to try and keep them together, if the price is right. Cannot make contract mistakes in the salary cap era or it will bite you back.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
Casey is very valuable to this team as a 4th line center and I'd like to lock him up for a while. I'd probably do something like 13.75-15 for 5 years. He kills penalties, wins draws, and brings energy. Martin on the other hand is a good guy, but he isn't a Clutterbuck. I'd try to get Martin for around 2 million for 3 years or so.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Casey is very valuable to this team as a 4th line center and I'd like to lock him up for a while. I'd probably do something like 13.75-15 for 5 years. He kills penalties, wins draws, and brings energy. Martin on the other hand is a good guy, but he isn't a Clutterbuck. I'd try to get Martin for around 2 million for 3 years or so.

Couldn't agree more. It's a tough role and he does it well, also on pace for 31 Points which is not Shabby at all for a guy who gets around ~14 minutes a game and plays the PK. I feel that if the team makes a deep run in the next few years, the 4th Line will be a big part of it, really unique as there are not too many other 4th Lines as in sync and effective night in and night out.

Cizikas reminds me of Lapointe, but with an edge. Responsible heart & soul center who kills penalties and provides depth scoring. I'll take it, those great bottom-6 players are not a dime a dozen.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Our salary needs to be carefully handled with JT and Frans coming up. We still need to a top line winger.

If Martin wants anymore then 1.5-2 he can take a hike. Cizikas 3 is about right. Cal is at 2.75 and needs a new deal after after next year. Say he wants 3. $8 million 2 years from now is a lot to spend on your 4th line and even if they might be worth it we need to keep them as low as possible. We can't give MM $3M. Every player on our 4th line making $3M each is a lot.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Cizikas at 3 would be perfect, but Martin needs to take a contract at 2 million or under in order for it to be worth it for the team. If not, you can always replace Martin with a player exactly like him who is more skilled.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
On the broadcast here last night Kypreos was saying Martin will be looking for $3 million per...granted Kyper is a notorious cheerleader for the players, but still, I was shocked at the number...

Only things isles have going for them is the team is entering contender status, Martin was drafted and has roots here, and the fourth line is definitely better than the sum of its parts- Martin won't have the same chemistry anywhere else...plus, what other team is going to see him as anything more than a fourth liner? No team will pay a fourth liner that much- certainly not a contending team with the cap crunch.

Snow holds all the cards here, and unlike Cizikas, Martin doesn't have much leverage, IMO.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I think a guy like Cizikas is so incredibly valuable to this team. I'd really like to so something along the lines of the deal Kyle Clifford got with LA. Like 5 years 15 million, or something of that range.

I feel like when we call our line "The Best 4th Line in Hockey", that becomes a guy like Matt Martins selling point and he's gonna wanna drive the price up as much as he can which worries me.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Sign Cizikas, let Martin walk if he's demanding too much. Hell, you could put Prince next to them if you wanted to.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I'd be really bummed out to see Martin in another uniform throwing punches at Islanders. He's the enforcer on a weakling team and has been a great Islander/teammate. I really don't give a s... if we pay him 3 million instead of 2 million.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
If we can get the 4th Line locked up for $8M that would be fantastic. They show up almost every night and are by far the most consistent unit on the team.

People will get caught up over the term '4th Line' and grip their wallets tighter. I look at their contributions as oppose to their label. Contributions tell me they are worth ~8M as a unit. I'd rather make a commitment to them then tie up money in players like Grabovski and Bailey. Isles need to rid themselves of passengers, MM , CC and CC are conductors.

It is possible. Especially if we let Okposo walk and bring up some cost controlled talent on an ELC in Dal Colle or Barzal. IMO, the window is really starting to open now and our best shot will be when our 4th line still has gas in the tank, JT is peaking , our big blue liners in Pulock and Mayfield/Pelech have experience and fingers crossed, one of our young forward prospects steps in right away and makes an impact a la Larkin.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
The thing about the salary cap era here is no team can afford a forth liner at those prices ($3mil)...it use to be the saying was you didn;t want more than about $1.5-2 million tied up in your entire fourth line...now, costs go up, but the axiom still holds true- I think you are looking at a max of about $6 million for the fourth line...apart from teams with overpaid underachievers sent down to the fourth line, I think you would be hard pressed to find another team in the league that has more than $5 million tied up in their fourth line.

Now, ours is the best one, but money is money...either you ship out the Grabovski's and Okposo's of the world and replace them with Barzal and the like so you can afford to pay Zeeker and Martin more, or you lock up Zeeker and let Martin walk...

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
The thing about the salary cap era here is no team can afford a forth liner at those prices ($3mil)...it use to be the saying was you didn;t want more than about $1.5-2 million tied up in your entire fourth line...now, costs go up, but the axiom still holds true- I think you are looking at a max of about $6 million for the fourth line...apart from teams with overpaid underachievers sent down to the fourth line, I think you would be hard pressed to find another team in the league that has more than $5 million tied up in their fourth line.

Now, ours is the best one, but money is money...either you ship out the Grabovski's and Okposo's of the world and replace them with Barzal and the like so you can afford to pay Zeeker and Martin more, or you lock up Zeeker and let Martin walk...

maybe your typical 4th liners, on a team that has 3 or 4 big salaries, but we aren't like that. the 4th line gets more minutes than most do, and i think they can even be utilized even more. they are constantly in the opposition's end.

i prefer a balanced payroll, as opposed to the top heavy teams like Pittsburgh.

i think Martin will get $3 mil from some team, especially some young team like Arizona that has low payroll and might be looking for a guy to protect their young guys. and don't be surprised if he turns into Lucic light. he has pretty decent hands.

if we just sign Nielsen, let KO go, trade Grabo and bring up Barzal?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
maybe your typical 4th liners, on a team that has 3 or 4 big salaries, but we aren't like that. The 4th line gets more minutes than most do, and i think they can even be utilized even more. They are constantly in the opposition's end.

I prefer a balanced payroll, as opposed to the top heavy teams like pittsburgh.

i think martin will get $3 mil from some team, especially some young team like arizona that has low payroll and might be looking for a guy to protect their young guys. and don't be surprised if he turns into lucic light. He has pretty decent hands.

If we just sign nielsen, let ko go, trade grabo and bring up barzal?

Edmonton

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
Our 4th line also consists of 2 of our best Pk's. Casey should get close to 3 a year bc of that and he runs the 4th line. Cal also deserves close to that for that reason. MM hits but after that, not much. He can be replaced but I hope he comes back for under 2 a year.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
I personally believe that the Isles have Martin over a barrel. He's a fourth liner and that's all he'll ever be. But on the Islanders, the fourth line actually plays a role. There is one team in the league that would give this guy the ice he gets and he's already playing for them. Want to go for the money and play a bit role for someone else? Go for it. I just hope he recognizes that he'll be bounced in and out of the lineup like 99% of every other fourth liner in the league. A competitor like Martin wouldn't be happy in that situation. Want to make less money and actually play???? Stay with Islanders. A slight raise should be sufficient. Again, the Islanders have him over a barrel... Or at least, they should.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

Kassian already there...

Arizona is a budget team.

Again, Martin is more valuable to us than anyone else because of his part on th fourth line.

And yes it's true they've been playing more like a third line lately, but you could argue the team has had to depend on them more because of the drop off in Lee, Strome, and Nelson (lately)...

But you don't pay fourth liners $3mil...it just doesn't happen.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Kassian already there...

Arizona is a budget team.

Again, Martin is more valuable to us than anyone else because of his part on th fourth line.

And yes it's true they've been playing more like a third line lately, but you could argue the team has had to depend on them more because of the drop off in Lee, Strome, and Nelson (lately)...

But you don't pay fourth liners $3mil...it just doesn't happen.

Chicago begs to differ.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/teams/lines/19/chicago-blackhawks

Weise was paid $3million by the hawks, or did they bring him in at the deadline when all he was owed was a million bucks? This speaks directly to my point...

Mashinter getting $3mill too eh...?

And Rass? ok.

As I said, teams just can't afford this.

Is the link I provided not working? If not, the jist of it is that Chicago just signed 4th liner Marcus Kruger to a 3 year deal at just a bit over 3m per year. Ergo, Chicago disagrees that you don't ever pay 4th liners $3m.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad