Valiant in Defeat- Great performances that went all for naught in a loss

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Named to the all star team, best goalie, and tournament mvp, goalie Denis Godla stood on his head for bronze medal winner Team Slovakia (WJC 2015). Teammate Pavol Skalicky was named best Slovak player, and respectfully was cheered, those in attendance at the Air Canada Centre then proceeded to chant 'Goalie", giving Godla a standing ovation. Truly a class act for a kid that kept his team in it.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
keith primeau in 04
16 points in 18 playoff games
in his other 110 career playoff games, he had 41 points [and 9 goals, same total he had alone in 04]

greyraven8

Dec 24, 2007
Thunder Bay, ON
1992 - Game 7 - Adam Division Semi Finals - Whalers lose to Canadiens in 2OT.
If I remember correctly Frank Pietrangelo played very well in goal but there might have been some other standouts for the Whalers.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Bobby Hull.

the 1963 Stanley Cup playoffs, during which he played with a nose so severely smashed that the fracture extended into his skull. With the Hawks one game from elimination, Hull ignored the orders of his doctors, checked out of a Chicago hospital and flew by himself to Detroit. That night—with both eyes blackened, his nose encased in tape and blood draining into his throat—he played against the Red Wings. He scored three goals and an assist, but even that heroic effort was not enough to avert a 7-4 Chicago loss.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Speaking of Gilmour and Federko in 1986, how about Mike Liut that year? Takes a pre-game injury in a 1-1 series, comes back in Game 6 with a 32-save 1-0 shutout to force Game 7, but loses 2OT. That's a heartbreaker.

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
Wendel Clark had that brilliant hat trick for Toronto in game 6 of the 1993 CF against LA, but overtime happened, the high stick happened and Gretzky happened.

Jon Casey had that fantastic game 7 against Detroit in 1996, more than 60 minutes of shutout hockey nearly bringing his team to a massive upset. But what gets remembered is how Stevie Y beat him with a huge slapper just inside the blueline in OT.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Speaking of Stevie Y, he was well on his way to posting his best ever postseason in 1999 until the Wings ran headlong into the Great Wall of Patrick again (finished with 9-4-13 in 10 games--surprisingly, his career high in playoff goals).

IslesFan2017

May 29, 2017
Henrik Lundqvist in the 2012 playoffs and you could argue maybe the entire 2011-12 season. The only big-time offensive weapons on that team were Marian Gaborik who had a nice season with 41 goals and 76 points and Brad Richards, who underachieved after coming over as a free agent, which made the team heavily reliant on Lundqvist most nights.
In the playoffs, the only game the Rangers scored more than 3 goals was Game 1 of the first round against the Senators. The only really bad game I remember he had during the Rangers run was Game 5 of the Conference Finals against the Devils. In the end, the Rangers were eliminated by Adam Henrique in overtime of Game 6.
I know as an Islanders fan, it's tough to admit, but that team was so hard-working and gritty but they didn't have enough offense and it was clear that their style of play wore them down by the end of the season.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Speaking of Stevie Y, he was well on his way to posting his best ever postseason in 1999 until the Wings ran headlong into the Great Wall of Patrick again (finished with 9-4-13 in 10 games--surprisingly, his career high in playoff goals).
Thanks, Bill Ranford.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Thanks, Bill Ranford.

Honestly, you should thank him. Bill Ranford is the reason Detroit still had a 2-2 split. With their lack of offense in Games 3-6, they couldn't win that series if they had a mason in net or if Chelios had a burlap sack to throw over Adam Deadmarsh.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
I don't have fond memories of Ranford's performance (although he was the toast of the town after the first two games), but Roy was the difference, not Detroit's goaltending.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Shanahan said the team in 99 might have gone 16-0....I don't know what happened with Ranford after game 2....conflicting stories that he just like mentally checked out.....anybody hear the truth on this?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Most have probably seen the highlight videos on Peter Forsberg's amazing hat trick effort in Florida from the 99-00 season, but the details behind the effort are even better than the highlights:

The Florida Panthers are up 5-0 on the Avalanche at home with 22 minutes left to play. It's a lead that in the midst of the dead puck area should be considered an automatic win. Of the 5, Pavel Bure's got 3 for yet another hat trick when Forsberg decides to change the narrative and scores 6 points (3g-3a), which is the highest per game point total of any skater that year. Sorry Pavel!

you forget the most important detail: pavel accidentally stepped on the puck after a whistle and reaggravated his knee, eventually leaving the game with five minutes left in the third with his team up 5-0. he missed the rest of the season.

they talk about one-line teams, this would be a dam good example of a one-player team.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Datsyuk was ridiculously good in 2010-11

I remember being super disappointed he didn't get more help in that San Jose series,and even then it was still almost enough

Reactions: Fresh Prince

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Rangers loss to Buff in 06. Drury with the late game winners was just death and in game 6, it was one of the most exciting, heartbreaking losses.

The team kept going down 2 goals and responding to bring it within one. In the last 8 or so minutes both team traded insanely high quality chances, breakways, open nets, you name it.

At one point Hank messed up badly trying to play the puck 10 ft in front of his net. Wide open net, a defense-man flies back, drops down, the saber player accidentally shanks it right into the Dman's foot and he throws it up ice with his bare hands. The crowd absolutely lost its mind. From that point forward the crowd roared like it was the tying goal with every. Single. Save. They did it when the Rangers simply carried the puck out of the zone. I've never seen a crowd go more ballistic over every single save and positive play the way the NYR crowd did at that point in that game.

I think Roszival had a wide open point shot with the G out of position with less than a min left. Didn't convert. Roof would've blown off. During the handshakes the crowd erupted with chants for the team and Lundqvist.

Basically every playoff series Vokoun played for Nashville. That team was outclassed in every conceivable way and he'd just stonewall chance after chance. His performances helped get me into hockey.

You can throw in the NYR cup final loss to LA too. Led for something insane like 90% of multiple games and AV choked the whole series away bc he's an inept, idiotic bum

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
99 years ago, the 1919 Stanley Cup Challenge Finals between Montreal of the NHL & Seattle of the PCHA was suspended on March 29th due to the Spanish Flu outbreak.... this was a rematch of the 1917 SC Finals 101 years ago when Seattle won becoming the first American Team to win the Cup, first time it was awarded on US soil... in 1919 Seattle, led by Superstar Frank The Flash Foystin (who also led the Mets to the 1917 SC Championship), a guy who could play either Wing, Center & Rover scored 8 goals in the first 4 games before play suspended so ya, for Foyston, his heroics & really all the players on both teams... "all for naught". Final called at 2-2-1. Cup wasnt awarded.

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
JS Giguere in the 2003 playoffs. Every goalie in the ice and ball hockey leagues I played in was screaming “Giggy” after saves during that run.

Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad