Prospect Info: Vaclav Karabacek (2014, 49th) – '18-19: Clears unconditional waivers, ELC mutually terminated

ZeroPT*

Ummm...no. He has great on-ice IQ. If you want to knock him for not being physical enough, fine. But, questioning his IQ, is like questioning his skating or positioning.

I think this pick will come back on Murray. I can't believe he passed on him 3 times.:help:

And I'm not sure how you are so definitive on such a limited viewing.

He makes a ton of mistakes. He makes dumb reads,his gap control was atrocious at times and he always seemed to take the wrong option in all 3 zones.
Never been a fan.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I just want the kid to come in and lay someone out.

"And here's tonight's Collision, folks: It's Karabacek with the Carubba-check!"

RandR

May 15, 2011
I saw Karabacek play about 7 or 8 games this year for the Olympiques. He really didn't show much early in the year, but I figured he was just a rookie new to the league and Canada. He got significantly better as the year went on and he was good in the playoffs. I thought he was quick, has a quick shot, willing to use his body and take a hit to get the puck and make a play, and he had a good drive for the net.

The Olympiques have a history of drafting their import players from the Czech Republic and quite a few of them have made it to the NHL (Krejci, Hemsky, Jiri Fischer, Vrbata in particular). They are also a well-coached team, so I expect Karabacek to keep getting better next year.

I also watched enough of McKeown to be surprised he wasn't taken until #50, but there is nothing wrong with Buffalo taking Karabacek at #49 -- he has the raw tools, he's big enough for his age, and he shows real potential.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Yet, in January, McKeown was a lottery pick and Watson a 2nd rounder. Come June, McKeown goes 50th and Watson is a 7th rounder. Sounds like your Fronts may not have been as good as you were billing them to be.

That's not really fair.

Read my post from a couple of months ago when someone asked me about McKeown and Watson. I said that McKeown was a stud on the D for the Fronts and that Watson had been terrible and I wouldn't recommend drafting him. IMO, along with goaltending, he was the reason they lost to the Petes in the first round.

While I'm quite surprised Watson fell all the way to the 7th round, the fact that he failed to engage in the play and get involved was something that wasn't going to get better at the next level. He was as good as Bennett in his first year in Kingston but never regained his confidence after a concussion in the playoffs with Barrie.

And I'm glad you're basing how well they will do (or maybe more accurately, how wrong I am) based on where they were picked. Because the scouts are always right.:laugh: We'll see, time will tell. I do know the Kings got good value.

Last edited:

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
He makes a ton of mistakes. He makes dumb reads,his gap control was atrocious at times and he always seemed to take the wrong option in all 3 zones.
Never been a fan.

I would agree with at times he can make horrible pinches, which can result in breakaways against. For sure makes mistakes, but I wouldn't say he makes many most games. He did have a rough stretch in November/December where he wasn't good for like a month, but other than that he was very solid all year- almost always in the right position, strong outlet pass to the right man, etc.

Kingston has some dumb defencemen, he is not one of them.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
I only saw 5 Fronts games this year but I wasn't impressed by McKeown or Watson in any, so I'm glad we passed on him multiple times. He looked lost the majority of the time and got beat routinely.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Courtesy of DraftBuzz:

VACLAV KARABACEK RW, 5’11’’ 185 lbs, Gatineau Olympiques, QMJHL
Biggest Strength: Offensively inclined and able
Biggest Weakness: Hot and cold work in progress
“Czech Import Vaclav Karabacek spent the majority of the year fighting growing pains as he learned NA hockey, only to erupt in the playoffs for Gatineau. Also having moments of brilliance at the WJC U18, Karabacek breathed new life into his status for the 2014 draft showing off his offensive exploits in critical late season events. Cruise control winger has a minimalist style that emits offensive capacity. Flashed electric potential to take over games late in the season. Not the most explosive skater, he moves with constant pace and a receptive stick. One of those forwards who doesn’t slow down when he gets the puck. Has a good sense of the offensive zone and situational puck movement. Has a good shot and doesn’t mind getting close to the crease. Not afraid to attempt a high skill deke. Doesn’t mind battling but could stand to force his way a bit more with good size. Has the hands and instincts to make a bigger impact defensively. While first round is a reach, DraftBuzz sees Karabacek offering the most raw talent after the top 30 are gone.â€

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Love this pick!

Much better ceiling than McKeown or Dougherty and actually fits a need unlike those 2.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Love this pick!

Much better ceiling than McKeown or Dougherty and actually fits a need unlike those 2.

I would say those guys fit a need, but I do like the Karabacek pick more and more. He wasn't a guy I was really familiar with when we picked him. He seems like he is a legitimate factor at wing, which is something we also needed. Looks like if he pans out he could be a strong-bodied two-way skill winger. It's a big "if", but I like "if's" in this draft, especially after taking a relatively safe pick in Lemieux.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I would say those guys fit a need, but I do like the Karabacek pick more and more. He wasn't a guy I was really familiar with when we picked him. He seems like he is a legitimate factor at wing, which is something we also needed. Looks like if he pans out he could be a strong-bodied two-way skill winger. It's a big "if", but I like "if's" in this draft, especially after taking a relatively safe pick in Lemieux.

I understand, but I wasn't high on McKeown or Dougherty since we have players in the pipeline that have the ability to simulate their playing styles. Not that I'd mind having them in the system, but wingers are a need, and we don't know if the ones in the system from previous drafts will pan out or not, the more the better in my mind.
And yes, I like if's as well :)

JuniorMajeur

Oct 4, 2011
Gatineau
Vaclav Karabacek

Sorry to create a topic just for this but it's hard to find the good one where I could maybe read something about him..

Somes of you see him since the rookie camp is started, if so what can you tell me?

thanks

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Sorry to create a topic just for this but it's hard to find the good one where I could maybe read something about him..

Somes of you see him since the rookie camp is started, if so what can you tell me?

thanks

Unfortunately our rookie camp (Traverse City Tournament) is not televised/streamed. Only two of our users that I'm aware of are attending, maybe they can share their thoughts. Listening to the games on the radio, Karabacek has been one of the best forwards offensively, being in on his fair share of chances and ringing some posts, also getting a goal. He had good, immediate chemistry with fellow 2014 2nd rounder Eric Cornel. Karabacek did not participate in our developmental camp back in July due to what I believe was a minor injury, so we can't give updates from that either. Sorry there's not more to say. Hopefully you will pop by during the season and let us know how he's doing in Gatineau.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Baie-Comeau opened their exhibition season on August 14th and 15th, but Karabacek did not dress in either game that weekend. He did appear in two games this past weekend (21st and 22nd), notching an assist and four shots on goal.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I also should note that that concluded Baie-Comeau's preseason schedule. Their season opener is scheduled for September 11th, but I assume Karabacek will be in Buffalo for the Prospects Challenge tourney and will miss the Drakkar's first two games of 2015-16.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
John Vogl ‏@BuffNewsVogl - Sabres prospect Vaclav Karabacek has had his wake-up call and is ready to show his skills to the organization.

Vaclav Karabacek could be called one of the sleepers on the Sabres’ prospect list, but that would be rude given his history. He’s had his wakeup call, and he hopes his skills open others’ eyes. Buffalo has given the 2014 second-round pick every opportunity to excel during the team’s prospect challenge. The left winger skated alongside center Sam Reinhart and right wing Justin Bailey – two of the organization’s most-prized prospects – during Saturday’s 6-2 victory over New Jersey. He had an assist and two shots during the blowout.

Karabacek is expected to play with Jean Dupuy and Giorgio Estephan against the Boston Bruins at 7:00 pm Monday as the tournament closes in First Niagara Center. “I talked to him on the ice this morning just about the opportunities that he had,” coach Randy Cunneyworth said Sunday. “He had two or three point-blank opportunities. Goalie made a great save on a couple of them, but the first thing is to get the opportunity. I think that’s great for him.”

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/09/13/karabacek-looking-for-rebound-season-with-sabres/

LaxSabre - How about that! - gets a writeup in paper - scores a goal same day -

@BuffNewsVogl - Vaclav Karabacek tips in (LaxSabre - David Henley shot from the point) Sabres' first goal of night, cutting Bruins' lead to 2-1 late in second.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I wish Buffalo prospects got to play for good teams. I feel like over the past 4 or 5 years most of our prospects have been on bottom feeder CHL teams. And our Swedes got stuck on Buffalo Sweden Sabres last year and possibly this year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Baie-Comeau will probably be competing for last place in the QMJHL, and yeah, it'd be nice if the prospects didn't have to adjust to mid-season trades of late too, so they could maintain some chemistry.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Karabacek comes through in the clutch, scoring his first goal of the year (PP) with 3:07 left to push Baie-Comeau to a 3-2 win at Quebec.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Kris Baker @SabresProspects - Friday, October 2.

Vaclav Karabacek scored for the second straight game Friday as Baie-Comeau was bested by Rimouski 6-2.
Karabacek took an early roughing penalty that led the Oceanics' first goal of the game.
He then made up for it with an unassisted strike at 7:58 of the middle frame.
Lowly Drakkar, who have won just once in their first seven tries, return to action Sunday at Victoriaville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad