Prospect Info: Vaclav Karabacek (2014, 49th) – '18-19: Clears unconditional waivers, ELC mutually terminated

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I like the scouting reports on him. I'll give him a year and see if he cracks out top 10 prospects.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Like this pick. Czech players have become overlooked the past few years. I think where we took him was find and exactly where you take a player like that.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
But you're allowed to say awesome pick and you don't know the future those kids either...

I've never seen any of these prospects play, but based on what I've read, this second round is disappointing.

I dont get negative comments about a draft. They just make zero sense to me. Its a time for excitement and positive thinking. A draft pick can go either way, so why view it negatively? You may have liked someone else, but doesnt make it a terrible pick.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I dont get negative comments about a draft. They just make zero sense to me. Its a time for excitement and positive thinking. A draft pick can go either way, so why view it negatively? You may have liked someone else, but doesnt make it a terrible pick.

Some of us just take more pleasure in trying to reach as thoughtful of an evaluation as we can than trying to imagine every kid we drafted leading the league in scoring someday. I don't see why a draft is any worse time to criticize a prospect or a choice between 2 prospects as it is 5 years later. We just know less now, but we're trying to learn everything we can at the same time by talking about these kids honestly.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Some of us just take more pleasure in trying to reach as thoughtful of an evaluation as we can than trying to imagine every kid we drafted leading the league in scoring someday. I don't see why a draft is any worse time to criticize a prospect or a choice between 2 prospects as it is 5 years later. We just know less now, but we're trying to learn everything we can at the same time by talking about these kids honestly.

I was replying to someone that said this pick is terrible. Its easy to discuss draft picks without saying a player will stink. I dont think that is thoughtful evaluation. Also with the NHL draft, after the 1st its really a crap shoot.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I hope this guy pans out, I guess he was the Barbashev equivalent?

Last edited:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site

Murray tried to trade all 3 2nds to move into the ~17-22 range. Even the Sabres aren't high on these prospects. I guess I don't see the point of feigning excitement.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Murray tried to trade all 3 2nds to move into the ~17-22 range. Even the Sabres aren't high on these prospects. I guess I don't see the point of feigning excitement.

or disappointment?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Probably because 2nd round picks have very little success rate.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
or disappointment?

The difference being that disappointment stems from the majority professional opinion that the Sabres reached in the second round or otherwise passed on better prospects. With excitement stemming from the sake of being excited considering Murray tried to dump these picks in the first place.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The difference being that disappointment stems from the majority professional opinion that the Sabres reached in the second round or otherwise passed on better prospects. With excitement stemming from the sake of being excited considering Murray tried to dump these picks in the first place.

Didn't sound like any of the professionals were banging on the Sabres for reaching ..or for passing on better prospects.. :dunno:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

Look at the drop off in NHL players between 1st round to 2nd round.
Here are the "success rates" for each portion of the draft between 1995 and 2005.

Pick / Appeared In NHL / Played 100+ Games In NHL
Top-5 100% 96.3%
6-10 100% 78.1%
Rest of First Round 88.6% 63.0%
Second Round 65.7% 31.1%
Third Round 50.7% 27.9%
Fourth Round 36.0% 18.7%
Fifth Round 29.9% 14.2%
Sixth Round 30.0% 14.3%
Seventh Through Ninth Rounds 27.1% 11.6%
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/6/27/5845256/nhl-draft-2014-analysis-luck

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
McKeown and Dougherty are the flashier names but don't let that fool you. Karabacek is a solid pick. Had a strong finish to the season, playing very well in the playoffs and U-18's. Expect him to have a breakout season next year. Not at all sure McKeown or Dougherty will have a better career than this guy. Plenty of upside here.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

#18 in black on the first goal in the second video @ about 50 seconds. Hell of a play. Assists on goals 3 and 4, the second of which is another great play.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

The sabres didn't reach....as TM said, buffalo seems well stocked in 3rd line type of players.

Instead of going with safe picks he went with players with more upside at being solid 2nd line players.

As it stands know its something like <15% of 2nd rounds will actually be something more than 3rd/4th liner forwards or 4th-7th Dmen.....I think it's something like 1/3 dont make it to the NHL.

Look at the drop off in NHL players between 1st round to 2nd round.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/6/27/5845256/nhl-draft-2014-analysis-luck

How are they measuring success rate? Those pcts seem high for later rounds. I don't count a cup of coffee in the NHL a success.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Didn't sound like any of the professionals were banging on the Sabres for reaching ..or for passing on better prospects.. :dunno:

Stop typing facts. It screws up the narrative. The Sabres suck, draft picks suck, GM sucks, coach sucks, city sucks narrative.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think people are gonna love this pick more and more as time goes on. Watched the interview with him now and he just seems like a terrific kid. He knows what he needs to improve and have the drive to do it. As I said earlier, expect a breakout season next year.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
Murray has stressed hockey sense when drafting players.

McKeown is dumb, he makes so many dumb reads, has no anticipation and is shaky at best in his own end. Granted I've only seen 12 or so games of him since he got in Kingston but I wasn't a fan of what I saw

Ummm...no. He has great on-ice IQ. If you want to knock him for not being physical enough, fine. But, questioning his IQ, is like questioning his skating or positioning.

I think this pick will come back on Murray. I can't believe he passed on him 3 times.:help:

And I'm not sure how you are so definitive on such a limited viewing.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

I think outside the top 25, most these guys are long-shots. I like that instead of taking a safe pick, they went for guys on a trajectory that could break-out.

Even today after the first round draft, Murray tried to move his picks for a kid that was drafted yesterday. They really wanted to get back into the first round and outside of Reinhart hope that one of the other picks turns into something for the top two lines.

Overall, I like that they made some risky moves, but we can't expect much out of a relatively weak draft.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ummm...no. He has great on-ice IQ. If you want to knock him for not being physical enough, fine. But, questioning his IQ, is like questioning his skating or positioning.

I think this pick will come back on Murray. I can't believe he passed on him 3 times.:help:

And I'm not sure how you are so definitive on such a limited viewing.

Yet, in January, McKeown was a lottery pick and Watson a 2nd rounder. Come June, McKeown goes 50th and Watson is a 7th rounder. Sounds like your Fronts may not have been as good as you were billing them to be.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
There isn't a scouting staff in the world who saw McKeown play more this year than Buffalo. And they passed on him three times. Time will tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad