Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I haven't been paying close to attention this off-season. I know Carroll is gone and we have some new guys and my overall impression is that if our new (and newish) guys pan out/improve as hoped, we could/should be better than last season but I could be wrong and I'm curious as to what others think. Are we really better than last season and if so, how much better? Do we have a realistic chance of beating Cleveland and going to the finals or no? And I assume that we have zero chance in the finals if we do get that far, we'd probably be a dog to even win one game but if I'm wrong I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for any responses, I just want to get caught up. :)

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I haven't been paying close to attention this off-season. I know Carroll is gone and we have some new guys and my overall impression is that if our new (and newish) guys pan out/improve as hoped, we could/should be better than last season but I could be wrong and I'm curious as to what others think. Are we really better than last season and if so, how much better? Do we have a realistic chance of beating Cleveland and going to the finals or no? And I assume that we have zero chance in the finals if we do get that far, we'd probably be a dog to even win one game but if I'm wrong I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance for any responses, I just want to get caught up. :)

Overall, we can definitely be slightly better or slightly worse than last season with the injection of youth to our team. Gone are the vets of Carroll, Patterson, Tucker and Joseph. In are Miles, another vet (will definitely help our 3 pt shooting), OG Anonoby (rookie, who can defend multiple positions well with a raw offensive skillset but there's potential there), Wright (I think overall he's as good as Joseph; they just bring different skills to the table) and Poeltl (His play is very consistent in terms of effort, solid help defender and being able to finish at the rim but he does have a long way to go). IMO Powell is the X-Factor on this team because he's our starting SF and that's been our weakness for years now. He's quite undersized as a SF so it'll be interesting to see how he can handle guarding players much bigger than him

Seems like this season, our style will at the very least be a bit different. Stressing more ball movement and 3 point shooting and also seems like DeRozan is concentrating on passing a lot more than in the past (we'll have to see). Casey also mentioned getting DeRozan and Lowy more rest this season as they're getting older and they were both among the league leaders in minutes last season.

With Hayward getting hurt, we're likely in battle with Washington and maybe Milwaukee for the 2nd seed in the East. Assuming Cleveland finishes 1st, we could avoid them until the conference finals unlike last season. At the end of the day, LeBron is the best player in the league and unless something happens to him, we don't have much of a chance against Cleveland as our main core of Lowry, DeRozan, JV, Ibaka didn't change. If miraculously we make the finals, we get swept in 4 and lose each game by at least 10+ points to Golden State. We're lucky to be in the East because in the West, we're probably somewhere between 5th-10th seed.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Overall, we can definitely be slightly better or slightly worse than last season with the injection of youth to our team. Gone are the vets of Carroll, Patterson, Tucker and Joseph. In are Miles, another vet (will definitely help our 3 pt shooting), OG Anonoby (rookie, who can defend multiple positions well with a raw offensive skillset but there's potential there), Wright (I think overall he's as good as Joseph; they just bring different skills to the table) and Poeltl (His play is very consistent in terms of effort, solid help defender and being able to finish at the rim but he does have a long way to go). IMO Powell is the X-Factor on this team because he's our starting SF and that's been our weakness for years now. He's quite undersized as a SF so it'll be interesting to see how he can handle guarding players much bigger than him

Seems like this season, our style will at the very least be a bit different. Stressing more ball movement and 3 point shooting and also seems like DeRozan is concentrating on passing a lot more than in the past (we'll have to see). Casey also mentioned getting DeRozan and Lowy more rest this season as they're getting older and they were both among the league leaders in minutes last season.

With Hayward getting hurt, we're likely in battle with Washington and maybe Milwaukee for the 2nd seed in the East. Assuming Cleveland finishes 1st, we could avoid them until the conference finals unlike last season. At the end of the day, LeBron is the best player in the league and unless something happens to him, we don't have much of a chance against Cleveland as our main core of Lowry, DeRozan, JV, Ibaka didn't change. If miraculously we make the finals, we get swept in 4 and lose each game by at least 10+ points to Golden State. We're lucky to be in the East because in the West, we're probably somewhere between 5th-10th seed.

That's why it seems pointless following this team for me. When you are a team like the Raptors, a playoff team but has no chance of winning anything, every game seems pointless. What is the point of getting invested in this team? It's just disheartening.

Reactions: Apotheosis

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
That's why it seems pointless following this team for me. When you are a team like the Raptors, a playoff team but has no chance of winning anything, every game seems pointless. What is the point of getting invested in this team? It's just disheartening.
Because you like the game and watching your team is entertainment? I don't know why the NBA of all leagues has this Champion or bust mentality.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Because you like the game and watching your team is entertainment? I don't know why the NBA of all leagues has this Champion or bust mentality.
Exactly. Sure it would be nice to win, but im a Raptors fan and I want to watch games of my favorite team. Honestly if no Its pointless because we wont win, than 27 other teams stadiums should be empty every year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Thanks for the summary. Re. bolded, I've been wanting more ball movement and less Derozan chucking for years. I wonder if there's any hope that if this style sticks, that that would lead to more improvement? Also, I'm hoping that the loss of Irving gives us a much better shot at beating Lebron but that's probably wishful thinking. It was pretty cool where we were 2-2 against them in the 3rd round.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Exactly. Sure it would be nice to win, but im a Raptors fan and I want to watch games of my favorite team. Honestly if no Its pointless because we wont win, than 27 other teams stadiums should be empty every year.

Yeah this. I understand what he means but still, most teams in NA pro sports would be mostly playing to empty stadiums if winning titles was all that matters.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Might as well not watch the Jays next season. Not gonna win the world series. It's better odds the Leafs don't win the cup this season than they do, might as well give up on them now. I can give up on the Sharks too. Unless you're a fan of New England, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Philly, Atlanta, or Seattle your team's super bowl odds are 10-1 or worse. Time to raise the white flag.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Might as well not watch the Jays next season. Not gonna win the world series. It's better odds the Leafs don't win the cup this season than they do, might as well give up on them now. I can give up on the Sharks too. Unless you're a fan of New England, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Philly, Atlanta, or Seattle your team's super bowl odds are 10-1 or worse. Time to raise the white flag.

Here is the thing: those other teams have a chance to win at some point. Where is the light at the end of the tunnel for the Raptors and many other teams? Guess what? There lots of half empty arenas in the NBA. That's why basketball is not close to my favourite sport. I wasn't criticizing the Raps. I am sure they are doing what they can. It's just the state of the league that is disheartening to me. It's not entertaining watching us get swept by Cleveland. Honestly, who enjoyed that last season? I just don't see a chance to win, ever. Jays can win the WS at some point, Leafs can win the Cup sometime soon. Can the Raptors win the championship anytime soon? You want to be entertained, sure, but you also want to see your team have a chance to win at some point.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
OG has so much potential, man. Loved the pick when it was made, love it even more now.

Also, ball movement = heaven.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
derozan756.png

http://www.nba.com/raptors/gameday-102117

Game Preview: Raptors vs. 76ers

Posted: Oct 21, 2017

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com
Philadelphia 76ers (0-2) @ Toronto Raptors (1-0)
When: Oct. 21, 7:30 P.M. ET
Where: Air Canada Centre
Broadcast info: SN1, TSN 1050
LAST MEETING
The Raptors recorded a 113-105 win against the Sixers in April during the final meeting between the two teams last season. The victory, the ninth straight for Toronto on its home floor, featured DeMar DeRozan serving as facilitator as he finished with 17 points and nine assists. Kyle Lowry missed the game as he rehabbed from wrist surgery, while Joel Embiid, Jahlil Okafor and Robert Covington were all missing in action for Philadelphia. DeRozan had plenty of help on the offensive end as six Raptors players reached double figures. Serge Ibaka led all scorers with 24 points and Jonas Valanciunas added 14 points and eight rebounds.
LEADING INTO TONIGHT
Embiid expected to rest:
The Sixers come to Toronto following a 102-92 home loss against the Boston Celtics. Sixers head coach Brett Brown confirmed to Philadelphia media after the loss that sophomore stud Joel Embiid would not play on Saturday against the Raptors.
Familiar faces: Though he hasn't worn a Raptors uniform since the 2014-15 season, the return of Amir Johnson is always a welcomed one for Raptors fans. One of the teams most beloved former players, Johnson signed with the Sixers after spending the previous two years with the Boston Celtics.
Last one before hitting the road: Saturday's game will be the last home game for the Raptors in two weeks. The team will head out on its longest road trip of the season on Sunday, embarking on a six-game West Coast swing that will keep them away from the ACC until their next home game on Nov. 5 against the Washington Wizards. The team will face the San Antonio Spurs, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, Portland Trail Blazers, Denver Nuggets and Utah Jazz before returning home so look for Toronto to make the most of this Saturdaynight home game.
Early-season grind: While the Raptors have that six-game road trip beginning in the first week of the season, the scheduling gods didn't go much easier on Philadelphia. The 76ers comes to Toronto on a back-to-back and the contest against the Raptors will be their third game in four nights. Though the Sixers are a young team, tired legs could come into play on Saturday.
EXTRA ASSISTS
Highlight Reel:

OG already: After the Raptors selected rookie OG Anunoby in the NBA draft, it was expected he would miss the start of the season as he rehabbed his way back from ACL surgery. Anunoby proved he was ready to return to the court during preseason and hasn't looked back. He made his NBA debut in the team's home opener, making his impact felt almost immediately as he scored his first NBA points on a dunk shortly after entering the game. Anunoby scored nine points in his debut, prompting C.J. Miles to tell the media it was a much better debut than his own first game, 13 years ago.
PRO-LINE WINNING MATCHUP

Philadelphia's first two games showed two very different results on the offensive end of the floor. In their season opener, a 120-115 loss against the Washington Wizards, the Sixers were 15-for-35 (43 percent) from the three-point line and shot 46 percent in the game. In a 102-92 loss against the Boston Celtics, they struggled to get points on the board late as they were outscored 33-20 in the fourth quarter. The Sixers were held to a 38 percent shooting in the game, including a 10-for-32 (31 percent) performance from beyond the arc. Thanks to the offseason acquisition of J.J. Redick, along with returnees Jerryd Bayless and Robert Covington, the Sixers have multiple threats from beyond the arc. After holding an undermanned Bulls team to 42 percent shooting on Thursday, the Raptors defence will be looking to eliminate open looks from deep on Saturday to keep Philly's shooters from getting on a roll.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

I don't get glory hunting fans either. You like the sport and you like your team. You want your team to be competitive and provide an entertaining product. If you win it all then that's gravy. If all you want is to see trophies then are you really a fan? It's not like this is new in the NBA either, this is how it has always been and it's more popular than ever. It's the very nature of basketball. No other sport is impacted as much by great players.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't get glory hunting fans either. You like the sport and you like your team. You want your team to be competitive and provide an entertaining product. If you win it all then that's gravy. If all you want is to see trophies then are you really a fan? It's not like this is new in the NBA either, this is how it has always been and it's more popular than ever. It's the very nature of basketball. No other sport is impacted as much by great players.

Yea, I am sure it's entertaining as hell watching them get swept by Cleveland with none of the games being close. What you said is just what fans of loser franchises say. My issue is that there does not seem to be any hope of them winning anything any time soon. Other sports there is always hope for all teams.
Then maybe I am not a fan of the NBA, I guess. Whatever.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Yea, I am sure it's entertaining as hell watching them get swept by Cleveland with none of the games being close. What you said is just what fans of loser franchises say. My issue is that there does not seem to be any hope of them winning anything any time soon. Other sports there is always hope for all teams.
Then maybe I am not a fan of the NBA, I guess. Whatever.

Over the last 11 seasons (2007-2017) there has been virtually no difference between the MLB, NBA and NHL in terms of the diversity of teams that win a championship. The MLB and NBA has seen 7 different teams win a title over that span and the NHL has had 6 with 2 teams winning 3 a piece in that span. Cleveland is a good team and LBJ seems to always carry his team to a final but to turn that into 'no hope' is untrue I think.

Last edited:

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
So I take it we aren't running mostly Isolation plays through Demar as our primary source of offense this year?

We did tonight because DeMar had Bayless guarding him. Pretty much a guaranteed 2 points.

I think once we play some good teams, we'll be going back to our bread and butter in crunch time

ISO for Demar and ISO for Lowry. Rinse and repeat.

Our 2nd unit seems to generate some good ball movement though. Delon showing to be a very good facilitator

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
We did tonight because DeMar had Bayless guarding him. Pretty much a guaranteed 2 points.

I think once we play some good teams, we'll be going back to our bread and butter in crunch time

ISO for Demar and ISO for Lowry. Rinse and repeat.

Our 2nd unit seems to generate some good ball movement though. Delon showing to be a very good facilitator
Ah I see. Hopefully we can get away from ISO's if our guys truly can move the ball well. I didn't watch a ton of Raptors games last year (less than 30), but the ISO to Demar was so predictable it was infuriating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad