Raptors Discussion: V62 0 Round 2 (Post Season Play Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
I hope Casey doesn't react to Miami by going small now. Throw Patterson and Biyombo out there and dominate the glass. We could also use their screens. No Whiteside means plenty of driving opportunities for Lowry/Derozan.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I hope Casey doesn't react to Miami by going small now. Throw Patterson and Biyombo out there and dominate the glass. We could also use their screens. No Whiteside means plenty of driving opportunities for Lowry/Derozan.

At some point he's gonna have no choice.

Scola is awful and Thompson and Bebe haven't played.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Personally I don't think anthems have any place in sports, but if the rule is you stand still during them then he should be fined.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
At some point he's gonna have no choice.

Scola is awful and Thompson and Bebe haven't played.

Exactly. Did anybody see the cameo by Scola yesterday? The issue for Toronto now is that Miami will throw double teams at DD or Lowry forcing the ball out of their hands and forcing guys like Ross/Patterson/Powell to beat them.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
This is awful, didn't think his injury was going to be that bad. This could get ugly now.

I do worry about the "whoa is me" attitude this team has when thing don't go their way. Hope they overcome it and take this series, but it just got a lot more difficult.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Dwane Wade is honestly a little *****. Dude knew exactly what he was doing and didn't even apologize
One of the most arrogant players

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
The one consolation is the McRoberts, Haslem, and Stoudemaire are all ridiculously bad.

I'm tempted to put Scola on the bench, but having Bismack out there with James J is a lot of offensive ineptitude.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope maybe Biz can knock Wade on his ass a couple of times if he is going to try to slash to the basket thinking that he's got free reign without JV.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
The one consolation is the McRoberts, Haslem, and Stoudemaire are all ridiculously bad.

I'm tempted to put Scola on the bench, but having Bismack out there with James J is a lot of offensive ineptitude.

James Johnson can drive to the basket better than most on our team. He just needs to stop chucking up bad shots like DeRozan does.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Personally I don't think anthems have any place in sports, but if the rule is you stand still during them then he should be fined.

I agree but you will never get Americans to agree. So a compromise would be, only the anthem of the country you're playing in will be played.

ESPN has an article about it, and this gem

Mayor of Canada John Tory and City of Toronto Councillor Norm Kelly reacted to Wade's actions on Twitter:

John Tory got a promotion to a non existent job:laugh:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15488492/miami-heat-star-dwyane-wade-criticized-shooting-o-canada

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
hope Lowry can keep things rolling but gonna need someone else to step up big today if they expect to win and i have no hope in DD these days

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
Big game tonight boys, can put a strangle hold on them up 3-1 going back to TO

Cleveland the next round scares the hell out of me tho

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So sad about JV, kid was having a big coming out party this playoffs too.

Honestly, he's looking like a centre you can actually build your team around.

Kind of concerned that we are going to see a lot more DD now, which has me ******** bricks

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
rapsheat-game4-756.jpg

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com

Series: Toronto Leads 2-1

The Toronto Raptors took a 2-1 series lead thanks to a 95-91 victory against the Miami Heat on Saturday at AmericanAirlines Arena. Kyle Lowry exploded for 33 points, including a 29-point second half, as the Raptors weathered the storm after losing big man Jonas Valanciunas to an ankle injury.

Tip-off: 8 P.M. ET

Broadcast Info: TSN, TNT, TSN1050

Ford Fanzone open: 6 P.M. ET

projectedlineups-050916.jpg

LESSONS LEARNED

Free throws

For the second consecutive game, the Heat have forced the Raptors to close out the game at the free throw line. After Toronto struggled to hit free throws in regulation in Game 2’s overtime victory, things improved in the extra session where the team closed out the game making six of eight attempts from the line. The Raptors were better on Saturday, finishing the game 79 percent on free throws, including a 9-for-11 fourth quarter with the game on the line.

Seizing every opportunity

Through three games, this series has played out the same as Toronto’s first-round series against the Pacers: Lose Game 1, win Games 2 and 3. Toronto would like to have a different result in Game 4 against Miami than their Game 4 loss against Indiana. Toronto wasn’t prepared for the desperation Indiana came out with to avoid going down 3-1 in the series and they lost handily as the Pacers tied things up 2-2.

This time around, in the same situation up 2-1, the Raptors hope to be able to match Miami’s energy level and use the opportunity to take a commanding series lead on the road. They understand it won’t be easy. Particularly against a veteran team like the Heat that’s being led by future Hall-of-Fame player Dwyane Wade.

“[We just have to have the] understanding that that team is going to come out extremely hard,” DeRozan said. “They’re going to go out there and lay everything they have out on the line. We have to go out there with that same intensity because they sure don't want to go down 3-1. We’ve got to be conscious going into Game 4 and take advantage of it.”

GAME 4 TALKING POINTS

Next (big) man up

On Sunday afternoon, the team announced that it would be without Jonas Valanciunas for the rest of the series against the Heat . Valanciunas started Game 3 the way he finished Game 2, putting in a 16-point, 12-rebound first half before landing awkwardly on his ankle under the basket three minutes into the third quarter. Although he initially hoped to tape up the ankle and return, he was ruled out for the game. After an MRI on Sunday, the team announced the injury update. Through 10 postseason games, Valanciunas was playing the best basketball of his career, and was one of Toronto’s best players. The team was a +39 with him on the floor this series. His loss will be a huge absence, but the team is already shifting into next man up mode, much like they did during the season when Valanciunas missed five weeks with a fractured hand.

“It’s a big one for us,” Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri said. “Obviously he was having a great series and great playoffs. He’s our starting centre, so it’s big, big blow for us. You know what, it’s a big blow for JV. You feel for the kid. just met with him and it’s tough on him, tough on his teammates, but this is the life in the NBA and we carry on.”

Valanciunas’ teammates were especially disappointed for him, knowing the work he’d put in all season to be playing at his best when it mattered most.

“The things JV was doing, it was big, man,” DeMar DeRozan said. “He was playing his best basketball in the period of time where we needed him. It’s definitely going be hard to duplicate that. We have great teammates on this team that understand their roles and are going to do whatever is needed for us to win.”

Raptors head coach Dwane Casey acknowledged that the loss of Valanciunas hurts, but kept the focus on what the team can and will do without him. After being without Valanciunas and DeMarre Carroll for stretches of the regular season, Casey has had to become comfortable with his reserves stepping into the starting five and they’ve come through when they have been called upon. When prodded about who will start in Valanciunas’ place in Monday’s game, Casey elected to keep his starting five underwraps.

“It doesn’t matter who starts,” he said. “That person is going to have to come in and fill the role of screening, rebounding and defending his position and adding to the team.”

Lid comes off for Lowry

Kyle Lowry had his best game of the postseason on Saturday, finishing three points shy of his playoff career high in a 33-point 11-for-19 field goal, 5-for-5 3-point field goal performance. He went toe-to-toe with Dwyane Wade, as the two All-Stars each scored 29 points in the second half.

“It’s definitely good, just so everybody can get of my man’s back,” DeMar DeRozan said on Sunday. “It’s good to see him get that mojo going, him just being out there being himself.”

The rim hadn’t been kind to Lowry coming into Game 3. While he’s been huge for the team in other ways, shots that normally fall for him had been missing. Throughout the slump, Lowry’s teammates and coaching staff remained confident in him. Their support allowed Lowry to stay confident and continue taking his shots and playing his game.

“I don't doubt myself,” Lowry said. “I just go out there and play. At the end of the day, I can live with everything that people say about me. I can live with what people think about. I still have the opportunity to play basketball for a living and have fun with it. There’s no such thing as doubting yourself. Just go out there and do what you’ve done the last … since I was five years old. This is just a higher level, bigger scope of basketball, so just have fun and worry about the next thing and how you can help your team win.”

Raptors-Miami Heat: Game 4 playoff preview

Game 5 is at Toronto, 8 p.m. on Wednesday.

By Doug SmithSports Reporter
Sun., May 8, 2016

AMERICAN AIRLINES ARENA

Tipoff: 8 p.m.

TV: TSN

Radio: TSN 1050

Probable starters:Toronto — Kyle Lowry, DeMar DeRozan, DeMarre Carroll, Patrick Patterson, Bismack Biyombo. Miami — Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Luol Deng, Udonis Haslem.

Key matchup:Kyle Lowry vs. Goran Dragic.

The Toronto point guard exploded for 33 points in Game 3 and was so effective Heat coach Erik Spoelstra benched Dragic for most of the fourth quarter. If that happens again, the Heat offence will suffer if Dragic doesn’t play a lot.

Need to know: Miami could use veteran Amar’e Stoudemire as a starter instead of Haslem if, as expected, HassanWhiteside’s sprained knee ligament keeps him out of the game . . . Miami rookie Justise Winslow is such an offensive liability he didn’t play a minute in Game 3 … It’s the third time Toronto has led a series after three games, they’ve never led a series 3-1 … Lowry’s 33 points Saturday was the second time he’s scored more than 30 in a playoff game in his career.

Up next: Game 5 at Toronto, 8 p.m. Wednesday.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Cleveland the next round scares the hell out of me tho

As they should. The trio of Love, Irving and James have yet to lose a playoff game (12-0) when all healthy.

But let's try to make it out of this round first.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Whiteside should not see the court again, right? Dude hasn't come this far on the comeback trail only to further damage his body and leave all that money on the table.

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
The bigger loss is for the Heat with Whiteside then it is for the Raps with JV. JV has been a beast and single handedly kept us in games we had no business being in. But with that said, Whiteside has given us fits playing the game we have to play which is drive the net.

Lowry, Joseph, DD and Carroll will benefit with no inside presence for the Heat. Our rim protector is still then its just Biyumbo. And this kid can protect and rebound.

We will be ok, but we will need JV back for conference finals if we get there. He has been incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad