Raptors Discussion: v39| Off-Season continued: Draft is just about 2 weeks away. Raptors pick 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander23

Mar 26, 2011
France
Would be awful for us. As far as players go Parsons isn't close to DD, who hasn't hit his ceiling yet.

Not to mention a Houston 1st is likely useless as it's never going to be a lottery pick.

Deal could make sense if we were bringing in a star to replace DDs touches... Love etc. But that isn't going to happen

DD is not a superstar player, he is a volume scorer (not THAT hard to score 20 when you take 25 shots/game)

Actually its the opposite, DD may have reached his ceiling (first option on the raps) while Parsons is the 3rd option in Houston (behind harden, howard)

To me the upside is higher, costs less money and he is more versatile !!

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
DD is not a superstar player, he is a volume scorer (not THAT hard to score 20 when you take 25 shots/game)

Actually its the opposite, DD may have reached his ceiling (first option on the raps) while Parsons is the 3rd option in Houston (behind harden, howard)

DDs contract is super team friendly though, and I don't think Parsons is going to settle.

Not to mention DD's ability to get to the rim and consequently the line is something that complements our 1 and 3 really well right now.

I don't think Demar is untouchable, but trading him for Parsons is not a direction that gets you to a championship

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Trevor Ariza would be a perfect fit as a starting SF (Great 3 point shooting and D), but after the run the Wizards just had... yeah. As far as backup C's go, I like Emeka Okafor.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I read that the Raptors might target Luol Deng. Maybe it said they should target him. Can't remember.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Trevor Ariza would be a perfect fit as a starting SF (Great 3 point shooting and D), but after the run the Wizards just had... yeah. As far as backup C's go, I like Emeka Okafor.

There are a few options for the raps ariza imo is the perfect fit Iwould also be interested in dang depending on cap hit.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
To be fair DD averaged 23 on 18 shots, not 25 (still pretty much a volume scorer though). Parsons is a solid player but moving DD would limit the team's ability to get to the line. Ross can potentially provide production like Parsons too.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

Who in their right mind would trade Demar for Parsons? I like Chandler but for god sake, Demar has shown he has leadership qualities. Just made his first All Star game and keeps improving every season. He's made strides towards becoming a complete player and everyone likes him, he's extremely marketable and is the core of the culture of this Toronto team. You trade him you may as well gut the team.

I kinda don't understand you're reasoning of Parsons is the 3rd option in Houston and his ceiling would be 1st option on Toronto, Demar is still improving every year and you want to move him out because he's become the #1 option already on the team so you feel he's reached his ceiling?

Hrmm yea good reasoning. I would have no objections of going hard after Parsons in the off season I also like Haywood probably even more then Parsons. If we have the coin I have no problem offering them big money to try and pry them away from their current teams through RFA.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
DD gets to the line. Parsons isn't getting those calls. It's also easier to be good offensively when you shoot threes and you have Howard inside and Harden driving all the time. Silliness.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Parsons is about to get paid as he's going to RFA status. And he's a nice complementary player, but he's not a guy who can carry a team in scoring like DeRozan does. Yes he's a volume scorer, but in being so he's less of a chucker than he used to be. He only attempted one more shot per 36 minutes in 13-14 than he did in 12-13, but his FT attempts per game rose but 50% last year and he made the biggest jump in his scoring rate since his rookie year to his sophomore one. He also made significant gains in rebounding and (especially) his assist rate.

He's still a volume scorer, but volume scorers aren't so bad when they can a) do other things, and b) make good on their volume. Yeah he took a lot of shots, but he scored a lot of points. He was top 15 in the league in points per FG attempt.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Parsons is about to get paid as he's going to RFA status. And he's a nice complementary player, but he's not a guy who can carry a team in scoring like DeRozan does. Yes he's a volume scorer, but in being so he's less of a chucker than he used to be. He only attempted one more shot per 36 minutes in 13-14 than he did in 12-13, but his FT attempts per game rose but 50% last year and he made the biggest jump in his scoring rate since his rookie year to his sophomore one. He also made significant gains in rebounding and (especially) his assist rate.

He's still a volume scorer, but volume scorers aren't so bad when they can a) do other things, and b) make good on their volume. Yeah he took a lot of shots, but he scored a lot of points. He was top 15 in the league in points per FG attempt.

He became so much more team orientated since Gay was traded. He really is evolving into more then a volume scorer, he's hustling on both ends of the court rebounding, assisting getting to the line at a high rate and still evolving his game. He's the number 1 option in Toronto so of course he's gonna take a decent portion of shots a game.

His decision making at times is a bit questionable and at times he forces the game, but so do a lot of guys in the league.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He became so much more team orientated since Gay was traded. He really is evolving into more then a volume scorer, he's hustling on both ends of the court rebounding, assisting getting to the line at a high rate and still evolving his game. He's the number 1 option in Toronto so of course he's gonna take a decent portion of shots a game.

His decision making at times is a bit questionable and at times he forces the game, but so do a lot of guys in the league.

Honestly, the only reason why DD is a volume scorer is the same reason Lowry is. Because the team expects them to be the ones who take the shots. The team has that trust in them, and they need them to get those shots because they know, that's how they're gonna win. Idk how many times I've seen a Raptor get stuck in a bad situation with a low shot clock and toss it to Lowry or DD just for them to shoot it. Another thing too, Casey runs plays for these guys. It's not like they're just chucking shots Mike James style.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...-to-u-s--to-work-out-for-teams-183854588.html

Walter Tavares, one of the best 7-foot prospects in the world, is working on a contract buyout with his team in the Spanish ACB League and will travel soon to the United States to work out for several NBA teams, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Several NBA executives believe Tavares, who is 7-foot-3, has a strong chance to work himself into the first round of this month's NBA draft, and several teams choosing in the range of the 20s plan to bring him in for closer inspections, sources said.

Last edited:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Honestly, the only reason why DD is a volume scorer is the same reason Lowry is. Because the team expects them to be the ones who take the shots. The team has that trust in them, and they need them to get those shots because they know, that's how they're gonna win. Idk how many times I've seen a Raptor get stuck in a bad situation with a low shot clock and toss it to Lowry or DD just for them to shoot it. Another thing too, Casey runs plays for these guys. It's not like they're just chucking shots Mike James style.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source...-to-u-s--to-work-out-for-teams-183854588.html

Hey I agree...

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Raptors are going to play exhibition/pre-season games in Vancouver (vs the Kings) and Montreal (vs the Knicks) prior to the upcoming season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=454374

Sweet. I just hope Vancouver realizes that they need to treat the game like a Canucks one in terms of transit and traffic control. It was an absolute gong show getting to/from the arena last time around.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ling-decides-pursue-1-billion-lawsuit-nba-all

Donald Sterling, in what can only be described as the epitome of crotchety old man style dick moves, has chosen to pull his support for the sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer for $2b and instead is going ahead with his $1b lawsuit against the league for what's happened.

Because it's apparently worth it to him to give up a billion dollars just to try and flip the league the finger.
:shakehead

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
i beg to differ.

i think donald sterling will be asked to pay the fine but will not be forced to sell his team.

regarding the simpsons pic...

:laugh: i'm pretty sure its the opposite. mr. burns is donald sterling in this case/picture. lionel hutz represents the NBA. sterling himself is a lawyer as well and he's hired a pretty good lawyer to represent him. no way he lets this go quietly. he's going to mar the NBA and its reputation with this case.

looks like i was right :naughty:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/...ling-decides-pursue-1-billion-lawsuit-nba-all

Donald Sterling, in what can only be described as the epitome of crotchety old man style dick moves, has chosen to pull his support for the sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer for $2b and instead is going ahead with his $1b lawsuit against the league for what's happened.

Because it's apparently worth it to him to give up a billion dollars just to try and flip the league the finger.

That alone makes my head hurt? :help:

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
No kidding. I mean, can you imagine saying "**** that 2 billion dollars, I'm going to try and sue your ass for half that instead."?

Isn't that even more proof that he's senile? :help:

Basically it's because he's not allowed at the games and because they want 2.5 million of his 2 billion cut. boo hoo.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

He has made it fairly easy for his wife / judge to make a strong case that he is fully incapable of making rational decisions.

1. He has supposedly already signed away the right to sell the team to his wife
2. The condition of the sale to Ballmer included a clause that the Clippers would pay whatever amount (if any) Sterling wins form the league in a lawsuit. This means Sterling is essentially suing himself since even if he wins the full $1 billion the Clippers would then owe 1B to the league

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/5/...-clippers-sale-sue-indemnification/in/5432587

The guy is a F#$@! joke.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How do you stop a 2 Billion dollar sale? I don't what you want to try and prove. What a senile old man.

Also, heard that the Raps will be trying to package the 20th and the two 2nds to move up in the draft, any truth or talk about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad