Raptors Discussion: v30: Chuckers Gonna Chuck V: ...Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
I wonder if Minnesota has any interest trading Rubio. His value is probably at an all-time low right now and i think he'd be the perfect pass-first, P&R point guard for this team

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Demar is only 24 though. He'll be in the prime of his career when the team takes off. Personally i think demar is a type of player you want when you're rebuilding.

I think people also need to remember that although this team is doing well, they have had basically no injuries. Hansbrough missed a couple games, thats it. So they've been really fortunate to this point. Probably unlikely that it continues that way, and a couple injuries can really kill this team

ehh. Damar's showing some improvement this year, but he's still a volume scorer. That's a pretty replaceable role. Lots of players can be scorers when you let them chuck it. DeMar might be 10th in the league in scoring, but he's like 50-somethingth in efficiency. In other words, if you gave 50+ players the same number of shots as DeRozan at their respective current scoring paces, they would all be able to top DeRozan's 22ish PPG average. This is where I would agree with Wulfio's assertion about players padding stats on bad teams.

My case study is Mike James. Remember when he exploded for the Raptors and scored 20 points a game? That was incredible because he was a guy that never averaged more than about 12 PPG any other time in his career, right?

Well, if you take his scoring rate from any season and apply it to the number of shots he got in his "breakout" Raptors season, he would've averaged 15-18 points per game for the entirety of his pre-Raptors career. It's a lot less impressive to double your career scoring average when the reality is that he only increased his scoring effectiveness by about 2-5 points per game and was the beneficiary of an awful Raptors team that had no one else to soak up the excess shot attempts.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wonder if Minnesota has any interest trading Rubio. His value is probably at an all-time low right now and i think he'd be the perfect pass-first, P&R point guard for this team

pick and roll PGs need to at least be able to make some shots. That's the issue with Rubio right now. He can't shoot and he has trouble scoring at the rim too. That's going to limit his pick and roll effectiveness. If he could use the pick and roll to its fullest, him and Love would absolutely destroy teams.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
pick and roll PGs need to at least be able to make some shots. That's the issue with Rubio right now. He can't shoot and he has trouble scoring at the rim too. That's going to limit his pick and roll effectiveness. If he could use the pick and roll to its fullest, him and Love would absolutely destroy teams.

Good point. He's shooting 35% ... didn't realize it was that low

Last edited:

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
ehh. Damar's showing some improvement this year, but he's still a volume scorer. That's a pretty replaceable role. Lots of players can be scorers when you let them chuck it. DeMar might be 10th in the league in scoring, but he's like 50-somethingth in efficiency. In other words, if you gave 50+ players the same number of shots as DeRozan at their respective current scoring paces, they would all be able to top DeRozan's 22ish PPG average. This is where I would agree with Wulfio's assertion about players padding stats on bad teams.

My case study is Mike James. Remember when he exploded for the Raptors and scored 20 points a game? That was incredible because he was a guy that never averaged more than about 12 PPG any other time in his career, right?

Well, if you take his scoring rate from any season and apply it to the number of shots he got in his "breakout" Raptors season, he would've averaged 15-18 points per game for the entirety of his pre-Raptors career. It's a lot less impressive to double your career scoring average when the reality is that he only increased his scoring effectiveness by about 2-5 points per game and was the beneficiary of an awful Raptors team that had no one else to soak up the excess shot attempts.

Everyone is replaceable, It's great that Amir said he wants to finish his career with Toronto but fact of the matter is he probably won't. Demar is very replaceable still young enough to become more then what he currently is as a scorer but won't be a key piece moving forward considering how he really only competes on one side of the floor. He would be a good 6th man imo.

The thing I don't want to see happen is get nothing back for these guys. Amir and Demar can make other teams better, there is value there it's just finding the right combination that fits our needs best and hopefully something can happen.

I would even consider trading Val, for the right price. IMO anything for the best of the future, and Val would hold a huge amount of value I would imagine.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Everyone is replaceable, It's great that Amir said he wants to finish his career with Toronto but fact of the matter is he probably won't. Demar is very replaceable still young enough to become more then what he currently is as a scorer but won't be a key piece moving forward considering how he really only competes on one side of the floor. He would be a good 6th man imo.

The thing I don't want to see happen is get nothing back for these guys. Amir and Demar can make other teams better, there is value there it's just finding the right combination that fits our needs best and hopefully something can happen.

I would even consider trading Val, for the right price. IMO anything for the best of the future, and Val would hold a huge amount of value I would imagine.

Everyone is replaceable, yes. I was never really saying that either of those guys were irreplaceable. But Valanciunas and Amir represent the two pieces of the roster that are most difficult to replace. There aren't a lot of proper anchoring starting Cs in the league, and there aren't a lot of high-motor, two-way PFs that can play athletically and shoot from outside of 10-15 feet.

You might be able to make a case for a PG like Lowry being hard to replace because he's a better playmaker than most scoring PGs, but it's pretty clear that he's probably out the door. So of the rest of the roster if Masai gutted the whole thing and traded away everyone, he would be hardest pressed to fing a guy with Valanciunas' skill set and skill level and a guy with Amir's unique skill set diversity and wealth of positive intangibles. And because of that, I would hesitate to even consider dealing either of them short of getting back insane value.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
Pasta gonna Primo...

lol what a dumbass. Not only does he have no heart but he's missing half his brain too..

I just love the bench's reaction
noooknicks.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad