Raptors Discussion: v28: Marcus Camby bought out. Linas Kleiza Amnestied. Sign PG Dwight Buycks

Status
Not open for further replies.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
D.J. Augustin with a 1 year deal to the Raps.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 7m
D.J. Augustin has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources tell Y! Sports.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
How many roster spots are likely to be available to be filled out by the start of pre-season?

You are only allowed to carry 12 players on your active roster, with 3 on the inactive (max) and that includes the D League. Who makes the team and who is gone?

1. Buycks - backup
2. DeRozan - starter
3. Fields - bench
4. Gay - Starter
5. Gray - bench
6. Hansbrough - bench
7. Johnson - starter
8. Lowry - starter
9. Novak - bench
10. QRich - buyout/inactive
11. Ross - bench
12. Valanciunas - starter
13. Acy - D-League?
14. Augustin - bench

There should be a couple more moves along the way, but any ideas as to what happens with the Raps roster and what else could be done to help that out?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
No surprise on Kleiza. His knees are shot.

He's better than people will likely give him credit for. He has a tendency to play out of control at times, and also to go for his own shot at times, but he's still a better playmaker than a lot of other shoot-first PGs and he's a solid defender too.

A lot of the other posters here don't really seem to like him, but I'm a fan.
Thanks for the unbiased info dude. Appreciate it.

91Kadri91*

Okay let's be honest every athlete wants to play for their hometown team.

That's absolute ********.

Howard isn't playing in Atlanta, Kobe didn't request a trade to Philly, Nash chose the Lakers, LeBron chose Miami etc.

91Kadri91*

and then you remember there's a lottery and usually the worst team doesnt even get the 1st overall pick...

A team with the worst record has a 64.3 percent chance at a top-3 pick which, in this draft, means a legitimate chance at a franchise altering talent (which you'll certainly get if you don't have an inept GM at the helm).

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
D.J. Augustin with a 1 year deal to the Raps.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 7m
D.J. Augustin has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Toronto Raptors, league sources tell Y! Sports.

This should be good.....
Hainsbrough 2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 13th overall
Augustin 2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9th overall

2 former 1st round picks for nothing, pretty decent Masai

joffreyLUUPUL

Jun 2, 2012
That's absolute ********.

Howard isn't playing in Atlanta, Kobe didn't request a trade to Philly, Nash chose the Lakers, LeBron chose Miami etc.

What I was talking about it in general everybody in Toronto grew up watching the Raptors or Leafs so of course they would "want to play" in Toronto.

Carmelo grew up in NY he wanted to play for the Knicks
Derrick Rose watched MJ as a kid so he always wanted to play for the bulls growing up
Dwayne Wade watched MJ as a kid so he always wanted to play for the bulls
Etc
Etc
ETC

Dude your blind AF. Obviously they don't mean it but growing up as a kid you always want to play for your hometown and thats that. Doesn't mean their actually going to do it

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
How many roster spots are likely to be available to be filled out by the start of pre-season?

You are only allowed to carry 12 players on your active roster, with 3 on the inactive (max) and that includes the D League. Who makes the team and who is gone?

1. Buycks - backup
2. DeRozan - starter
3. Fields - bench
4. Gay - Starter
5. Gray - bench
6. Hansbrough - bench
7. Johnson - starter
8. Lowry - starter
9. Novak - bench
11. Ross - bench
13. Acy - D-League?
14. Augustin - bench

There should be a couple more moves along the way, but any ideas as to what happens with the Raps roster and what else could be done to help that out?

Very unlikely that Acy is D-League. He did very well as a backup last season to Amir. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as the 3rd stringer and to play garbage minutes or spot time if Amir or Psycho T is in foul trouble.

I could see Buycks as inactive and Q-Rich. I can see Novak very deep on the bench and only called in if we need to stretch the floor or need a couple of 3's to get back in a game.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Augustin sucks.

No he doesn't, not as a backup. He did pretty good for the Pacers last season. It's a dirt cheap 1 year contract and he's a young veteran what do you expect? The only other option out there was probably Nate Robinson. I think it's a good signing. He's better then that scrub Sebastien Telfair and JL the Turd.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Augustin was terrible for the pacers last year. Shot 35% from the field and averaged only 2 assists per game.

And he was absolutely pathetic in the playoffs for them. They were scared to put him in the game against Miami...I'd rather give the backup spot to Byucks and see what he's got, because DJ has very little. I'd rather have signed Nate than DJ.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Augustin was terrible for the pacers last year. Shot 35% from the field and averaged only 2 assists per game.

And he was absolutely pathetic in the playoffs for them. They were scared to put him in the game against Miami...I'd rather give the backup spot to Byucks and see what he's got, because DJ has very little. I'd rather have signed Nate than DJ.

He was never the same after the knee injury. He's got the talent to be a good signing if he can reboot his career. If he can't it's a cheap contract so... ??

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Its a solid tanking move, I'll give them that. When Lowry gets hurt (and he will) DJ will be our starting PG. Ouch.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
Augustin vs. Byucks.....who do you prefer?

I'll be 100% honest and say that I have no clue who Byucks is. I'm not upset about Augustin signing (especially given the contract), but can anybody fill me in on who Byucks is?

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada

One bad series does not make a bad player. He was good vs. the Knicks. The Pacers just didn't adjust to the double team pressure that Miami was putting on him.

Can't complain about a backup PG for 1.2 million for 1 year where he'll probably be playing 12-16 mins tops.

He can shoot the 3 and is a decent distributor. Obviously he has flaws but if this had been a BC signing he would've got something like a 3 year contract at full MLE.
Raps are practically capped out and Nate probably wanted more $ or to go to a contender. This is a good value signing I like it. Tank or no tank.

joffreyLUUPUL

Jun 2, 2012
Augustin vs. Byucks.....who do you prefer?

I'll be 100% honest and say that I have no clue who Byucks is. I'm not upset about Augustin signing (especially given the contract), but can anybody fill me in on who Byucks is?

Byucks is a baller. He played for the OKC summer league and was probably their 2nd best player next to J-Lamb. Went undrafted 2011

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
What I was talking about it in general everybody in Toronto grew up watching the Raptors or Leafs so of course they would "want to play" in Toronto.

Carmelo grew up in NY he wanted to play for the Knicks
Derrick Rose watched MJ as a kid so he always wanted to play for the bulls growing up
Dwayne Wade watched MJ as a kid so he always wanted to play for the bulls
Etc
Etc
ETC

Dude your blind AF. Obviously they don't mean it but growing up as a kid you always want to play for your hometown and thats that. Doesn't mean their actually going to do it

Every athlete says they want to play for their hometown team/team they grew up watching. Any player that wouldn't say that is stupid because it's a terrible PR move. That doesn't actually mean they would go there given the chance if there were other, better, more lucrative options on the table. Otherwise Howard would be in Atlanta with Chris Paul, Nash would've gone to the Grizzlies back in the day (or the Raptors more recently), Wade would've found a way to work out a move to Chicago, LeBron wouldn't have left Cleveland, etc. The only guy who really "went home" as it were was Carmelo. And that was in part because he had foolish dreams of a super-team there with him and Stoudemire and Paul or Deron Williams.

One bad series does not make a bad player. He was good vs. the Knicks. The Pacers just didn't adjust to the double team pressure that Miami was putting on him.

Can't complain about a backup PG for 1.2 million for 1 year where he'll probably be playing 12-16 mins tops.

He can shoot the 3 and is a decent distributor. Obviously he has flaws but if this had been a BC signing he would've got something like a 3 year contract at full MLE.
Raps are practically capped out and Nate probably wanted more $ or to go to a contender. This is a good value signing I like it. Tank or no tank.

I would argue that he doesn't really. He shot over 40% in his rookie year and 39% his second year, but the last 3 years he's gone 33%, 34%, 35%. At the same time his attempts per game has trended downward.

For comparison's sake everyone's favorite shot-housting swingman, Chucky Chuckerson (Anderson) shot 33% last year with the Raptors. So you're getting a guy whose average over the last couple years is a couple ticks better than Anderson was (and his 33% year was the last time he had as many attempts per game as Anderson did in 12-13). The Raptors' only dependable 3 point shooters last year were Calderon, Lucas, and Lowry and they were all over 36%.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
This should be good.....
Hainsbrough 2009 / Round: 1 / Pick: 13th overall
Augustin 2008 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9th overall

2 former 1st round picks for nothing, pretty decent Masai

I'm a Pacers fan. I can tell you first hand Augustin sucks and Tyler can't shoot. If all you are expecting is hussle from Tyler then that's ok. Don't let their draft positions fool you... the Pacers bench was the biggest problem last year and these 2 were a huge part of it.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Dude it was not "one bad series does not make a bad player"... he was terrible all year. Frank Vogel was petrified to use him (or anyone off the bench for that matter).

The Pacers' biggest problem was their bench and Augustin was a huge part of that. He was supposed to be the leader of the 2nd unit, the facilitator and he failed miserably... to the point where they knew well before the season ended that he wasn't even a consideration to bring back.

Leafsforlife98

Nov 2, 2011

1. Buycks - backup
2. DeRozan - starter
3. Fields - bench
4. Gay - Starter
5. Gray - bench
6. Hansbrough - bench
7. Johnson - starter
8. Lowry - starter
9. Novak - bench
11. Ross - bench
13. Acy - D-League?
14. Augustin - bench

Starters:

PG-Kyle Lowry
SG- Demar Derozan
SF- Rudy Gay
PF- Amir Johnson
C - Jonas Valancuinas

Bench

PG- Augustin/Buycks
SG- Ross
SF- Novak/Fields
PF- Hansbrough/Fields
C - Gray

That leaves Acy and Richardson (Who will be bought out) as the odd men out. I still think that other moves will be made as I see Acy with a spot on the team.

My guess is that Augustin will end up being our starter when we move out Lowry at some point. That will help us tank and increase Augustin's value to the point where he can be packaged later on with another player to a team looking for depth for the playoffs. He is on 1 year deal for cheap amount, and if he can play some decent ball as a starter, they can increase his value and move him out for future assets.

I also still believe after hearing Leiweke talk so openly about tanking, and how the owners know it is a very distinct possibility, I think we are just waiting to increase the value of some of our players and ship them out during the season. This will be a development year to help develop Jonas, Ross and Acy (to a smaller degree).

I have a feeling that at some point, our team will look like this

Starters
PG- D.J Augustin
SG- Terrance Ross
SF- Landry Fields
PF- Amir Johnson
C - Jonas Valancuinas

Bench
PG- Buycks
SG- Bad Contract or D-Leaguer
SF- Bad Contract or D-Leaguer
PF- Hansbrough/Acy
C - Gray

This will allow Ross and Valancuinas to become the main options on offense, and allow their games to expand for the future and allow us to tank enough to net a top 5 pick in the draft.

So I see Derozan, Gay, Lowry and Novak traded at some point this year bringing in bad contracts, and draft picks for the future

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Doug Smith: Q and A with Toronto Raptors GM Masai Ujiri

http://www.thestar.com/sports/rapto...ng_sit_let_it_ride_and_see_what_you_have.html

Q: You’ve been on the job about a month? Has it been anything like you expected?

A: Yeah, about six weeks.

It’s been a whirlwind, you know. But all jobs, when you take the job at this time, it’s always going to be like that. You expect it, it was the same thing when I got the Denver job, too.

There’s a lot going on, there’s turnover, there’s a lot of changes but you have to keep going and stay positive and lead the team.

Q: Has there been one thing that’s been harder than you expected?

A: I think you take it as you come. I don’t take anything in basketball hard; for me it’s enjoyable, for me it’s something I love. I never look at anything and say it’s hard, you look at it and you want to solve the problem, whatever it is.

You have to be patient and with that, I really don’t take anything hard.

Q: If you had to describe your management style, how would you describe it?

A: That’s a tough question. I think patience, big picture. I try to look at it from every angle and every way I can but I don’t know what way I would describe it.

Q: You don’t know yet what you want to do with this roster, that’s the indication we’re getting. Blow it up, let it ride for a year, do you know yet?

A: It’s getting there but we might have to let this thing sit, let it ride and see what you have. I think whichever direction we go, it will come to us. As it comes, we will realize which way to go. When you start doing things desperately now and you start doing things like just to make sure you go a certain way, I think it’s too soon.

I’m not saying I’m opposed to doing that, but I think in this situation it’s too soon.

I understand big picture, I understand what everyone’s concept is with starting all over.

Q: Who have been the biggest influences in your life in basketball?

A: I had a coach in Nigeria, an American coach, Oliver Johnson, who came to Nigeria in I think the late ’60s. He brought Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar), Oscar Robertson, all those guys, to Africa for the first time and he was really influential in teaching me how to play basketball. And also looking at the big picture of using basketball as a tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad